Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

For me, it's Ally McBeal. It's available in the UK, but not here. Sell them in the US, and I'll buy them in a second.

I'd also love to have the Disney channel-aired Australian series Ocean Girl on R1 DVDs.

Last edited by gogogadget; 03-14-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gogogadget
For me, it's Ally McBeal. It's available in the UK, but not here. Sell them in the US, and I'll buy them in a second.

I'd also love to have the Disney channel-aired Australian series Ocean Girl on R1 DVDs.
Region free players are rather inexpensive.
Old 03-15-09, 05:40 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Spider-man TAS
Batman 1966
If you're referring to the 1967 Spider-Man there was a DVD Release by Buena Vista (Disney) a few years ago, unfortunately it's now Out-of-Print, and I understand copies of it go for Premium Prices on sites like E-Bay.

(I have a Copy, but it's not for sale!)
Old 03-15-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CreativeMind09
The Wonder Years is unavailable on DVD due to music licensing rights.

This is an excerpt from the webpage below:
"One of the tragedies of ridiculous music licensing practices has been that TV shows that involved great music can no longer be seen -- because when they were first aired, there was no aftermarket, and so no rights were cleared with the music owners. Clearing all that music for a DVD release is apparently too difficult, leading to an overall loss to society and culture."

Read more here: http://techdirt.com/articles/20090117/0537253446.shtml
I just bought Family Ties - Season 5, and was watching the episode A: My Name Is Alex, when Alex's friend dies, and Alex goes to see a Shrink. During the session, Alex belts out both Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf and Light My Fire by The Doors while the respective songs are playing in the background! I was shocked! I am aware of of licensing problems (ala "Wonder Years"), and am surprised this show was able to obtain the rights!

Well, it is as they say: where there's a will, there's a way. Producers of Wonder Years just have to find a way.

Anyway, my vote goes to releasing Eight Is Enough. I miss Tommy's angst.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 03-15-09 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-15-09, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by DVDude!
And this is the primary reason that I have little problem with obtaining music illegally.
I guess if you think the local grocery store's prices are too high, you have little problem with shoplifting from them.

Or if your neighbor won't loan you his lawn mower even though he loans it to your other neighbors, there's no problem with just borrowing it whenever you feel like it.

Owning something, whether it's food, a lawn mower, or music rights, means you have the right to determine how, whether, and on what terms you sell it. Excusing it by claiming that the musicians already have enough money, or that they're not being fair in how they let their music be used is no justification. Just because it's technologically easier to steal music than it is to steal more tangible items doesn't mean it's right to do so. If you knowingly obtain illegal music or any illegal property, you are a thief. Period.
Old 03-15-09, 02:58 PM

I really don't understand the whole music rights holding up dvd TV seasons. Something tells me stupid music publishers are trying to charge a fortune for songs that are usually burried under dialogue or mega-shortened anyway. It's not like someone can usually steal a song from a TV show!

Music publishers: Quit being greedy! You'll still get something for the show's music if the dvd is released, but you get NOTHING if the show never gets released! Isn't it better to earn something than nothing at all?! Plus you'll get added attention and probably sell a few more songs on Itunes in the long run!

With that being said, I'm waiting for the Stuckeyville series to come out on DVD, which apparently has the same music issue.
Old 03-15-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Regulus
If you're referring to the 1967 Spider-Man there was a DVD Release by Buena Vista (Disney) a few years ago, unfortunately it's now Out-of-Print, and I understand copies of it go for Premium Prices on sites like E-Bay.

(I have a Copy, but it's not for sale!)
No. Spider-man TAS is the 90's series{the offical name for it is Spider-man The Animated Series. The 67 series is just called Spider-man. }

The fourth season of X-men Evolution was never released. Not to mention the fact that if you want Seasons 1 and 2, you have to buy all the volumes.
Old 03-15-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I guess if you think the local grocery store's prices are too high, you have little problem with shoplifting from them.

Or if your neighbor won't loan you his lawn mower even though he loans it to your other neighbors, there's no problem with just borrowing it whenever you feel like it.

Owning something, whether it's food, a lawn mower, or music rights, means you have the right to determine how, whether, and on what terms you sell it. Excusing it by claiming that the musicians already have enough money, or that they're not being fair in how they let their music be used is no justification. Just because it's technologically easier to steal music than it is to steal more tangible items doesn't mean it's right to do so. If you knowingly obtain illegal music or any illegal property, you are a thief. Period.
This reminds me of those hilarious "You wouldn't steal a car!" anti-pirating ads at the beginning of some DVD's.

You should get a job at Warner Home Video. They'd love you.
Old 03-15-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's right though. Would you like me to come and take your nice big HDTV from your house just because I don't have the money or I don't wanna spend money on it?
Old 03-15-09, 04:58 PM

Currently rewatching the 3rd season of Ally McBeal thanks to my region free player and my UK imported seasons 1-5. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Old 03-15-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would have to say shows like King of the Hill or even the old All in the Family series, as they were started, but never finished. It frustrates me to no end to go six seasons on a series, and not be able to continue.
Old 03-15-09, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Region free players are rather inexpensive.
Yeah, i just haven't gotten around to getting one. Or buying the Ally DVDs from overseas.
Old 03-16-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I would have to say shows like King of the Hill or even the old All in the Family series, as they were started, but never finished. It frustrates me to no end to go six seasons on a series, and not be able to continue.
I'm guessing that with the end of King of the Hill, Fox will plan a complete series set and screw those that bought the earlier seasons, like they're doing with The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Old 03-16-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
I'm guessing that with the end of King of the Hill, Fox will plan a complete series set and screw those that bought the earlier seasons, like they're doing with The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Yeah, they just want to screw you. That's it.
Old 03-16-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by videoguy
With that being said, I'm waiting for the Stuckeyville series to come out on DVD, which apparently has the same music issue.

Do you mean Ed?
Old 03-16-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I just bought Family Ties - Season 5, and was watching the episode A: My Name Is Alex, when Alex's friend dies, and Alex goes to see a Shrink. During the session, Alex belts out both Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf and Light My Fire by The Doors while the respective songs are playing in the background! I was shocked! I am aware of of licensing problems (ala "Wonder Years"), and am surprised this show was able to obtain the rights!

Well, it is as they say: where there's a will, there's a way. Producers of Wonder Years just have to find a way.
Family Ties suffered from music changes in certain episodes in the past.

Paying for two songs in Family Ties is quite a different situation from what Wonder Years is facing, which uses a huge chunk of period music in each episode.
Old 03-16-09, 02:29 AM

Gotta be WKRP and Rocko's Modern Life. I've got the complete run of WKRP, but the individual episodes are so hit or miss quality wise that sometimes they're almost un-watchable. This really makes me sad as I'm an almost-graduate in broadcast journalism and found that Les Nesman should be the idol of all newsrooms. And I'll give the nod to Rocko because damn... that was my favorite cartoon as a kid.
Old 03-16-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Family Ties suffered from music changes in certain episodes in the past.
I know what you mean. I was watching a different episode from Family Ties - Season Five, where Steven's friend wants him to start up their old college newspaper/magazine. In the flashback scene, they have Bob Dylan's version of Mr. Tambourine Man INTACT, but in another flashback scene, Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds was a COVER version. Lousy. Whoever owns the rights to that song are a bunch o' douchies.
No, really, they are.
Old 03-16-09, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid

Totally unrelated analogies. The current ridiculous level of copyright law is to blame for the music industry's issues. Copyright was originally designed to provide a few years of protection and give the creator of an original work a secured income FOR a short time in order to further stimulate development and growth. It provided a steady income for the original artist in order to support them until they got their next hit. Without the ability to renew copyright, such work would fall into the public domain and thus help others to create new concepts and ideas. Thanks to our "wonderful" Congress and hard-nosed lobbyists, the copyright has been extended almost to the point of infinite, which is sadly choking out Locke's concept of an open marketplace of ideas.
Old 03-16-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, they just want to screw you. That's it.
That was really uncalled for. *
Old 03-16-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I Second that, those are two shows i am impatiently waiting to complete, like a post said earlier KOTH will probaly get a complete series set sometime in the future but what is going on with sony not giving me the rest of Archie Bunker, dammit i need more Archie, he's so damn funny, and there is only 3 seasons left to release, c'mon sony.
Old 03-16-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I know. All in the Family is a staple in sitcom history. Even if you don't like the show, you can't deny that! Nobody can! Why stall now? I know I know, money. I'm well aware how the 'screwing' process works, but come on. Finish it up. Same thing with King of the Hill!

At least with the Mary Tyler Moore Show, we had a pretty advanced notice that a full series set was most likely going to be in the pipeline. The last season of King of the Hill on DVD had a thing in it saying when to expect the next season, and there hasn't been a lick of news, not even in a negative way, since!
Old 03-17-09, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Illini Jeeper
Totally unrelated analogies. The current ridiculous level of copyright law is to blame for the music industry's issues. Copyright was originally designed to provide a few years of protection and give the creator of an original work a secured income FOR a short time in order to further stimulate development and growth. It provided a steady income for the original artist in order to support them until they got their next hit. Without the ability to renew copyright, such work would fall into the public domain and thus help others to create new concepts and ideas. Thanks to our "wonderful" Congress and hard-nosed lobbyists, the copyright has been extended almost to the point of infinite, which is sadly choking out Locke's concept of an open marketplace of ideas.
I hate to burst your bubble, but copyright law in this country has always provided for a minimum of 56 years of protection (provided that the copyright holder renewed when required, which wasn't always the case). That's not a "short period of time." It was extended to the current length in part because of a few cases in which elderly authors who were relying on royalties from their earlier works to survive were losing the copyright at a time they needed the money most.

The first copyright law in this country was signed by George Washington in 1790 and provided for 14 years of protection, which could be renewed for a total of 28 years. This was extended to 42 years in 1831 and 56 years in 1909.

Copyright protection was never intended to provide income "until the next hit." It was to give complete rights to an artistic work for a reasonably lengthy but not unlimited length of time. If I construct a building and rent it out, there's no reason I can't continue to rent it out for years to come. I'm not limited until the length of time it takes me to build another building.

Even under the old copyright law, every television show since 1953 would still be covered. So, it's not a matter of "greedy studios and lobbyists," unless you think that those studios were pestering Congress as far back as 1790.

Intellectual property is similar to any other type of property. It takes time, money, and effort to build a car or to make a loaf of bread or to write a song. The person who devotes that time and effort should be entitled to whatever the market will bear for their product.

If I think a car or a loaf of bread is too expensive, I don't buy it, and if enough people feel the same way I do, the price eventually comes down. That's how the law of supply and demand works. It's the same way with artistic works. Under the law, the owners have the right to sell the works for whatever price they want, as long as someone is willing to buy. From a technical standpoint, it may be easier to steal someone's copyrighted music than it is to rob a bank, but it's also easier to shoplift than to rob a bank. All of them are stealing.
Old 03-17-09, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I wasn't clear on the King of the Hill / Mary Tyler Moore statement. Seasons 5-7 of Mary Tyler Moore will not be available separately. Those who bought seasons 1-4 will have to repurchase 1-4 in a complete series set if they want seasons 5-7. They won't be available individually. That was my guess with KOTH. Those who want seasons 7-12 (or whatever seasons haven't been released yet) will probably have to repurchase 1-6 in a complete set, because the remaining sets won't be released individually. Tvshowsondvd said that Fox reps said they were looking at complete series sets instead of remaining season sets in many cases.

When I said "The end of King of the Hill," I meant the end of production of the series this year.

Last edited by hasslein; 03-17-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
Maybe I wasn't clear on the King of the Hill / Mary Tyler Moore statement. Seasons 5-7 of Mary Tyler Moore will not be available separately. Those who bought seasons 1-4 will have to repurchase 1-4 in a complete series set if they want seasons 5-7. They won't be available individually. That was my guess with KOTH. Those who want seasons 7-12 (or whatever seasons haven't been released yet) will probably have to repurchase 1-6 in a complete set, because the remaining sets won't be released individually. Tvshowsondvd said that Fox reps said they were looking at complete series sets instead of remaining season sets in many cases.

When I said "The end of King of the Hill," I meant the end of production of the series this year.
Which is why you wait for an amazon.com deal of the day and get these sets for a bargain!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.