DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Blockbuster exclusives??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/549086-blockbuster-exclusives.html)

whotony 02-24-09 10:25 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???

That was well thought out and very enlightening, thank you for adding that to the topic.

tylergfoster 02-25-09 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by woxyshiv (Post 9289572)
Occasionally there are other titles that get branded as Blockbuster exclusives and I am not totally sure how they end up there. Most recently, they got the excellent French thriller "Roman De Gare", which did decent art-house biz last year for Samuel Goldwyn. That movie had nothing to do with Weinstein or IFC, and yet it is available right now at Blockbuster and there is no retail disc yet.

Is that the one about the guy trying to solve a murder with Alzheimers in a rest home? I almost rented that and reviewed it too, if it really is exclusive to Blockbuster I might go back and do it.

throwback 02-25-09 01:10 AM

Here are Some of WWE Home Video PPV DVD's Exclusive to Blockbuster during 2007

Originally Posted by throwback (Post 9212630)
WWE 2007 Blockbuster Exclusive DVD's
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...busterSet1.jpg

WWE Royal Rumble 2007
Spine No: WWE94610
UPC: 6 5119194610 5

WWE No Way Out 2007
Spine No: WWE94611
UPC: 6 5119194611 2

WWE Wrestlemania 23
Spine No: WWE94613
UPC: 6 5119194613 6

WWE Backlash 2007
Spine No: WWE94614
UPC: 6 5119194614 3

WWE Judgement Day 2007
Spine No: WWE94615
UPC: 6 5119194615 0

WWE One Night Stand 2007
Spine No: WWE94616
UPC: 6 5119194616 7

WWE Vengeance: Night of Champions 2007
Spine No: WWE94617
UPC: 6 5119194617 4

WWE Great American Bash 2007
Spine No: WWE94618
UPC: 6 5119194618 1

WWE Summerslam 2007
Spine No: WWE94619
UPC: 6 5119194619 8
-Use to be rental only (not anymore)

WWE Unforgiven 2007
Spine No: WWE94628
UPC: 6 5119194628 0

WWE No Mercy 2007
Spine No: WWE94629
UPC: 6 5119194629 7

Trevor 06-24-09 10:13 AM

The Reader - exclusive deleted scenes

Giles 06-24-09 10:24 AM

given the latest news that the Weinstein Co. is not doing that well financially, it might behoeve them to let other chains actually rent their videos out, for the record there isn't a single Blockbuster near me to rent from.

MR Round 06-24-09 01:02 PM

And Blockbuster has Che parts one and two right now exclusively

The Monkees 06-24-09 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9522616)
given the latest news that the Weinstein Co. is not doing that well financially, it might behoeve them to let other chains actually rent their videos out, for the record there isn't a single Blockbuster near me to rent from.

Blockbuster isn't doing well either, so I guess they go together great!

woxyshiv 08-11-09 06:53 PM

Does anybody know what is going on in terms of regular retail releases for all of this year's IFC/Blockbuster exclusive titles?

I was looking to buy a copy of "My Winnipeg" and "The Last Mistress." Originally, the Blockbuster pact was supposed to give them 90-days exclusivity, but "My Winnipeg" hit their stores last October and has yet to be given a retail release.

I've now read online that IFC's distribution deal ended and that MPI is picking up distribution for them (effective this month, I believe). Blockbuster will still have rental exclusives apparently.

I am curious if all these titles (which also include Madonna's "Filth And Wisdom", "A Christmas Tale" and "A Girl Cut In Two") will get their retail releases through the MPI distro deal or if they are just going to be lost, only with ex-rental copies floating out there and never getting a proper release. Anybody know the story?

SLASHFACE 08-11-09 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by woxyshiv (Post 9637593)
Does anybody know what is going on in terms of regular retail releases for all of this year's IFC/Blockbuster exclusive titles?

I was looking to buy a copy of "My Winnipeg" and "The Last Mistress." Originally, the Blockbuster pact was supposed to give them 90-days exclusivity, but "My Winnipeg" hit their stores last October and has yet to be given a retail release.

I've now read online that IFC's distribution deal ended and that MPI is picking up distribution for them (effective this month, I believe). Blockbuster will still have rental exclusives apparently.

I am curious if all these titles (which also include Madonna's "Filth And Wisdom", "A Christmas Tale" and "A Girl Cut In Two") will get their retail releases through the MPI distro deal or if they are just going to be lost, only with ex-rental copies floating out there and never getting a proper release. Anybody know the story?

Not sure what the deal is. Finally found a used copy of Last Mistress a few weeks ago at a BBV. Its not listed for retail on any sites that I have visited.

Imail724 08-13-09 01:36 PM

I was slightly disappointed after buying a previously viewed copy of Taken from Blockbuster a few weeks ago and realizing the "Blockbuster Exclusive" version only includes the PG-13 version and not the extended cut...

whotony 08-13-09 01:42 PM

You're misinformed and making an incorrect statement.
Taken Is not a BBV exclusive, it is a FOX rental exclusive with no extra features and only the theatrical cut.

Fox and one other studio have started doing this on their own decision, nothing to do with BBV.

Also you bought It without looking at it?

Kory 08-13-09 04:59 PM

"Soul Men" is a Blockbuster Exclusive and has Deleted Scenes, while the standard release has no Deleted Scenes. However, the Exclusive gets rid of all the other special features on the disc other than the commentary. I bought it in the 3 for $20 sale and after realizing this, exchanged it for something else ("Doubt").

Imail724 08-16-09 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 9641714)
You're misinformed and making an incorrect statement.
Taken Is not a BBV exclusive, it is a FOX rental exclusive with no extra features and only the theatrical cut.

Fox and one other studio have started doing this on their own decision, nothing to do with BBV.

Also you bought It without looking at it?

I wouldn't say I bought it without looking at it. I saw the cover was exactly the same as it is everywhere else and didn't think it was necessary to check if it said extended cut on it or not because I figured there were only two versions of the movie: the one disc and the two disc.

woxyshiv 08-18-09 01:23 PM

IFC has arranged to release "Gommorah" and "A Christmas Tale" to retail via Criterion later this fall.

Both titles are currently rental-only at Blockbuster.

Hopefully this bodes well for future releases making their way to the Criterion Collection.

Demonmoon68 08-18-09 06:12 PM

The blockbuster exclusive deal is getting ready to end just to give everyone a heads up. because of the number that blockbuster had to buy of each title and the excessive over stock and not being able to sell them through pv a week later they are canceling the deal. i work in the video rental industry and this was just passed down through corperate.

dugnarug 09-11-09 12:27 AM

So are all of Fox's releases Rental Exclusives now? I bought Miss March from a store probably 4 weeks before retail and it was the Rental Exclusive on the box but had everything the retail had. Just curious if they are only doing select titles or if this is now the standard and we can expect Ice Age 3, Aliens in the Attic and so on to be stripped down versions.

dkedvd 09-11-09 08:14 AM

I know My Bloody Valentine 3D was only available to rent in 3D through Blockbuster. Coroline might have been the same (not 100% sure). The shitty part about that is they ran out of the 3D glasses very quickly so after about two weeks you could no longer see it in 3D and if you buy a used copy you cant use the 3D side either (unless you have the proper 3D glasses). Lame. I honestly hate 3D (gives me a headache) so I'll probably buy these used from Hollywood Video without the 3D version on the disc. I'll have to double check on the Coroline though because I know the Red Box rental version had both the 2D & 3D version (flipper disc).