DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gone With The Wind

Old 01-08-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gone With The Wind

Sorry if this has been brought up but I used the search feature and found nothing.
I guess I've been living under a rock recently and was wondering when this title went out of print? I'm assuming it's getting another re-release in 2009. Anyone know when and if any specs were announced?
thanks
Old 01-08-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Gone With The Wind

Warner put this, The Wizard Of Oz, North By Northwest, and Woodstock in moratorium last year. They will all be getting new DVD and Blu-Ray releases this year.
Old 01-08-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait for GWTW on Blu-ray
Old 01-09-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
Warner put this, The Wizard Of Oz, North By Northwest, and Woodstock in moratorium last year. They will all be getting new DVD and Blu-Ray releases this year.
Seems like GWTW and Oz should always be available out of principle, but then there's always used...
Old 01-09-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
And let me tell you, if you're willing to be without them for a few months, now's the time to sell them on ebay. I received over $50 each for GWTW and Wizard of Oz, simply because the general public knows it's out of print. I figured I can do without them for a few months and then get the new releases having made a nice profit.
Old 01-09-09, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
And let me tell you, if you're willing to be without them for a few months, now's the time to sell them on ebay. I received over $50 each for GWTW and Wizard of Oz, simply because the general public knows it's out of print. I figured I can do without them for a few months and then get the new releases having made a nice profit.
I did the same thing JD!

BTW, wasn't there a color timing issue with GWTW 2-disc SE? Too much yellow, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-09-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Seems like GWTW and Oz should always be available out of principle, but then there's always used...
If everyone went by that principle though, Disney would have no marketing strategy!
Old 01-09-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this is actually true, I might have to upgrade my original snapper of Gone With the Wind.
Old 01-09-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
If everyone went by that principle though, Disney would have no marketing strategy!
True, though that strategy was more effective before the Internet and the ease of finding used copies
Old 01-09-09, 11:36 PM

I didn't get to get GWTW just yet on the 4 disc DVD set but am hoping to soon before my store sells out of their stock they have left. I LOVE this movie!
Old 02-02-09, 03:36 PM
Banned

According to many internet rumors, this is coming in December 2009 on BD and DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Anniversa...ref=pd_sim_d_4
Old 02-02-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if all of the extras will be carried over to the upcoming Blu-Ray release - all too often they aren't.

In the case of the Wizard of Oz, I'd be surprised if the silent films made it into a Blu-Ray release too.

Old 02-02-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigE View Post
I did the same thing JD!

BTW, wasn't there a color timing issue with GWTW 2-disc SE? Too much yellow, if I remember correctly.
They used an original dye-transfer print as reference for the 4K restoration. Same complaints were raised over The Wizard of Oz, but I can confirm that the 4K of Oz is nearly identical to the dye-transfer print I saw a few years back. Granted I don't know if the print was exactly how the '39 release prints looked, but I'd assume the match is a good sign.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 02-03-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 08:26 AM

Thanks Patrick! You da man!!
Old 02-03-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a great price for it. Now there seems to be a supply and they're selling more around $20 - $25. I've got one I might as well get rid of while it's still worth something.