DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Gone With The Wind (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/547406-gone-wind.html)

Toddarino 01-08-09 02:51 PM

Gone With The Wind

Sorry if this has been brought up but I used the search feature and found nothing.
I guess I've been living under a rock recently and was wondering when this title went out of print? I'm assuming it's getting another re-release in 2009. Anyone know when and if any specs were announced?
thanks

MTRodaba2468 01-08-09 03:06 PM

Re: Gone With The Wind

Warner put this, The Wizard Of Oz, North By Northwest, and Woodstock in moratorium last year. They will all be getting new DVD and Blu-Ray releases this year.

xfilekr 01-08-09 04:08 PM

Can't wait for GWTW on Blu-ray

davidh777 01-09-09 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9184120)
Warner put this, The Wizard Of Oz, North By Northwest, and Woodstock in moratorium last year. They will all be getting new DVD and Blu-Ray releases this year.

Seems like GWTW and Oz should always be available out of principle, but then there's always used...

JuryDuty 01-09-09 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9184120)

And let me tell you, if you're willing to be without them for a few months, now's the time to sell them on ebay. I received over $50 each for GWTW and Wizard of Oz, simply because the general public knows it's out of print. I figured I can do without them for a few months and then get the new releases having made a nice profit.

bigE 01-09-09 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 9185747)
And let me tell you, if you're willing to be without them for a few months, now's the time to sell them on ebay. I received over $50 each for GWTW and Wizard of Oz, simply because the general public knows it's out of print. I figured I can do without them for a few months and then get the new releases having made a nice profit.

I did the same thing JD!

BTW, wasn't there a color timing issue with GWTW 2-disc SE? Too much yellow, if I remember correctly.

WMAangel 01-09-09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 9185361)
Seems like GWTW and Oz should always be available out of principle, but then there's always used...

If everyone went by that principle though, Disney would have no marketing strategy!

jjcool 01-09-09 08:59 PM

If this is actually true, I might have to upgrade my original snapper of Gone With the Wind.

davidh777 01-09-09 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9187209)
If everyone went by that principle though, Disney would have no marketing strategy!

True, though that strategy was more effective before the Internet and the ease of finding used copies

hotsexyboi 01-09-09 11:36 PM

I didn't get to get GWTW just yet on the 4 disc DVD set but am hoping to soon before my store sells out of their stock they have left. I LOVE this movie!

dx23 02-02-09 03:36 PM

According to many internet rumors, this is coming in December 2009 on BD and DVD:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...oL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Anniversa...ref=pd_sim_d_4

dmkb 02-02-09 05:10 PM

I wonder if all of the extras will be carried over to the upcoming Blu-Ray release - all too often they aren't.

In the case of the Wizard of Oz, I'd be surprised if the silent films made it into a Blu-Ray release too.

PatrickMcCart 02-02-09 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigE (Post 9185880)
I did the same thing JD!

BTW, wasn't there a color timing issue with GWTW 2-disc SE? Too much yellow, if I remember correctly.

They used an original dye-transfer print as reference for the 4K restoration. Same complaints were raised over The Wizard of Oz, but I can confirm that the 4K of Oz is nearly identical to the dye-transfer print I saw a few years back. Granted I don't know if the print was exactly how the '39 release prints looked, but I'd assume the match is a good sign.

bigE 02-03-09 08:26 AM

Thanks Patrick! You da man!!

JimRochester 02-03-09 08:35 AM

That's a great price for it. Now there seems to be a supply and they're selling more around $20 - $25. I've got one I might as well get rid of while it's still worth something.