Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone purposely own a FS DVD when WS is available?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone purposely own a FS DVD when WS is available?

Old 12-22-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly one. Kung Fu Hustle FS was packaged with the 3 disc deluxe edition of Hellboy at walmart. I got it when it was on sale for dirt cheap, and havent even bothered opening Kung Fu Hustle.
Old 12-22-08, 04:06 PM

I own both "Cars" and "Kung Fu Panda" on Blu-ray and also bought FS copies on SDVD because they are my kids favorite movies and they like the bigger pictures on my 4:3 TV.
Old 12-22-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SPRBD View Post
I own both "Cars" and "Kung Fu Panda" on Blu-ray and also bought FS copies on SDVD because they are my kids favorite movies and they like the bigger pictures on my 4:3 TV.
You have blu-ray and a 4:3 TV?

[Nancy Kerrigan]Why? Why? Why?[/Nancy Kerrigan]
Old 12-22-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheVelvetRope View Post
I think the only one that fits that bill in my collection is the Elite "Evil Dead," simply because there's so much controversy regarding that film's aspect ratio. I own two other versions that include WS transfers of it, though.
Same here. And I prefer the full frame version of Bride of Re-Animator since it provides more picture info, even though the widescreen is included on the disc.
Old 12-23-08, 09:48 AM
Cool New Member

Only one, and because it only comes in full screen. "The Bear", I love that movie and I wish they could somehow do a WS version.
Old 12-23-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been tempted to pick up Roxanne at WM for $5 but it's full screen only and just the time I do, they'll decide to release a special edition...
Old 12-23-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

George Romero's Martin
Old 12-23-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have both FS and WS (and HD DVD) of Oceans 11 (Clooney one) because I did a spoof and needed to edit in the FS footage into a video I shot (4:3 video)
Old 12-23-08, 09:55 PM

I can't remember every sngle FS I have but I buy them on purpose b/c I'm blind in one eye. I can see the FS versions better than WS.
Old 12-25-08, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The Bear and Roxanne HAD widescreen on their original releases, but a couple years ago Sony lost their minds and reissued a lot of titles with ONLY the foolscreen versions. Because of this I'm not buying any more of their electronics- why should I buy a widescreen TV from them if they think I should watch a pan and scan movie with black bars on the sides, or stretched out?
Old 12-25-08, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by kristina View Post
I can't remember every sngle FS I have but I buy them on purpose b/c I'm blind in one eye. I can see the FS versions better than WS.
I'm kind of the same way. I'm not blind in one eye, but I have an eye condition where my eyes hard-focus on two things at once and it gives me migraines, so when I watch a widescreen, one of my eyes focuses on one of the black bars and my other eye focuses on the other, and I have to force them to focus on the movie itself, and it hurts my head. I'll always buy fullscreen if available because it's much less of a headache for me.
Old 12-25-08, 07:53 AM

I own both the PG-13 (fool's screen only) and Unrated versions of Anchorman. I actually prefer the PG-13 version better, so that one gets watched when I feel like watching the movie.
Old 12-25-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, never, I will not watch, touch or own a film that cuts out 20-45% of the movie, I had to buy a film from another country because there was no US widescreen release, pan and scan films are useless to me.
Old 12-25-08, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
You have blu-ray and a 4:3 TV?

[Nancy Kerrigan]Why? Why? Why?[/Nancy Kerrigan]
Maybe SPRBD has a 4:3 TV in the kid's room and an HDTV as the main TV in a different room? I would imagine that most people who have a Blu-Ray player only have 1, all the other TVs are hooked up to DVD players.
Old 12-25-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Evil Dead, however, I wouldn't really count it, since fullscreen is the OAR.
Old 12-25-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
The Evil Dead, however, I wouldn't really count it, since fullscreen is the OAR.
OAR does not count, that is why I tend to say Pan and Scan as being wrong, because no matter what, it is never right.
Old 12-26-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own a few FS discs, all are mistakes or gifts.

-beebs
Old 12-26-08, 12:14 PM

The only FS transfer that I own is "Doc Holiday"; and *only* due to the fact that the WS version (as far as I know) has *never* been released.

I *was* sorely tempted to purchase the FS iteration of T3 due to the fact that there is supposedly more to see (*ahem*) of the Terminatrix in that version. (T3 was shot in Super 35; therefore the FS version has more information on the top and bottom than the WS version.) Common sense prevailed, though, and I purchased the movie in its theatrical aspect ratio.
Old 12-27-08, 07:46 PM

I got a FS version of Lost in Translation for a present once. We then went out and returned it for the proper WS version. Whenever I can I go widescreen.
Old 12-27-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
OAR does not count, that is why I tend to say Pan and Scan as being wrong, because no matter what, it is never right.
I'm confused by what you're saying. Do you know that not every movie that is full screen is pan and scan? There are some that are supposed to be full screen, which is usually referred to as full frame. And then, there are some full screen versions of widescreen movies that actually show more than the widescreen (more picture on the top and bottom) but that's not the way it was intended to be.
Old 12-28-08, 10:52 PM

Annie because the widescreen edition is OOP, and I love the movie, so when I saw a 5.99 DVD of it, I bought it despite it being full-screen. Ugh, full-screen musicals are the worst though. If it's a blindbuy at Target for 5.50 or so, I'll buy whatever's on the rack, and sometimes it is FS.

Cartoons like Care Bears, The Last Unicorn, etc, because they just weren't considered for WS.

And if I purchase a DVD for my parents, they prefer FS, so I make sure to get FS for them even though I hate it. I'm always thrilled when oops, there's no FS or it's FS/WS.

It kills me that we have an boxset of Indiana Jones and it's FS.

Last edited by gogogadget; 12-28-08 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
I'm confused by what you're saying. Do you know that not every movie that is full screen is pan and scan? There are some that are supposed to be full screen, which is usually referred to as full frame. And then, there are some full screen versions of widescreen movies that actually show more than the widescreen (more picture on the top and bottom) but that's not the way it was intended to be.
I know.

That is why I was saying pan and scan is wrong, because many times full screen/frame may be the OAR.

And if I purchase a DVD for my parents, they prefer FS, so I make sure to get FS for them even though I hate it. I'm always thrilled when oops, there's no FS or it's FS/WS.
I would have to buy something else, I can never support the vile creation that is pan and scan.
Old 12-29-08, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
...And I prefer the full frame version of Bride of Re-Animator since it provides more picture info, even though the widescreen is included on the disc.
The full frame is better to me too....well, I could never get use to the fake matte subtitles on the Pioneer disc. My player at the time couldn't play them correctly, haven't tried with my new player, though.
Old 01-05-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Anyone purposely own a FS DVD when WS is available?

Fullscreen really doesn't bother me,I have an average TV so it doesn't hurt me.
I'd say about 35% of my collection is FS & that's fine with me....
Old 01-05-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Anyone purposely own a FS DVD when WS is available?

I bought Mean Girls in Full Screen at a supermarket because I wanted to see it then and there and it was like 1AM.

I bought the Canadian version of Black Christmas (1974) because it was open matte and maybe the only version of the film at the time. I don't remember why, but it was because someone mentioned it here on this site.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.