Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Premium Membership Features Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not just picking on any one post but there is a lot of rationalizing going on. The argument of 'what's the issue, we piss money away on other things so why not this' is illogical. It's one of the reasons we have a trillion dollar plus deficit by basically ignoring what our mothers told us in 2nd grade to those kind of arguments: 'Well if Johnny jumped off a bridge, would you?"

If I wanted an avatar I can get one for free on Home Theatre forum. Countdown feature? Nope no interest.

Will I miss the posters that will be hanging in the premium areas? To be brutally frank the shark jumped on DVD discussions years ago. And quality posters in film discussion went elsewhere because they were frustrated with the responses to their quality posts. So posters moving to premium area means nothing as they are just the people that still remain. Don't get me wrong there are some terrific people still around and still some good discussions ... but nope, not like it was. So now the people going to the premium area will have even fewer people to see and respond to their posts. So, why put any time into quality posts? Just burp out a response and see your post count go to 18,409 ... and be happy you're among other posters paying for the privilege of burping out one liners seen by fewer people than ever.

I still do some posting but most of my scanning of posts is in the Bargain area. I don't buy the premise that deals will be hidden off in the premium area. What I do believe is that Premium Members will now have to go to more sub-forums to get what they used to get in one locations. That's progress? So, it seems like a negative value for many and one they have to pay for.
Old 12-26-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctyankee
I'm not just picking on any one post but there is a lot of rationalizing going on. The argument of 'what's the issue, we piss money away on other things so why not this' is illogical. It's one of the reasons we have a trillion dollar plus deficit by basically ignoring what our mothers told us in 2nd grade to those kind of arguments: 'Well if Johnny jumped off a bridge, would you?"
Actually, I paid in cash, which is what I think would actually be saving the economy if people weren't so unrealistic (and banks so greedy). But that's another illogical thread for another day.

The bottom line, which I think is sad, is the fact that the decision by IB to do this has created somewhat of an apparent wedge between long standing regular members (who cares about the guys with < 100 posts, right .. heh). Talk about inflammatory!

And as far as the arguments go about the possibilities (future options not yet announced) instead of the existing options - realistically, it's null and void. Dream all you want.

I could eat for two days on $10, some couldn't even get by for a modest $10 on a meal (as far as true "value" goes). But for a year of additional features (75 PMs as an option (might be elsewhere but has not been on DVDTalk)) a silly little meaningless avatar is satisfactory for me, where I've spent plenty of time for the past ... who knows how many years.

If one wants to start rationalizing $10 (aside from "principle"), how much time have you spent watching the last DVD or two that you purchased for the same amount? What 2 hours, 4, 8, 20? How much time have you spent on this site ...for free, for the last so many years? And did that $10 for those DVDs go to some greedy, inhuman, evil corporation ... or was it a more personal independent affair?

I just don't understand what the debate is about. Either do it or don't, but why all the lip service and "justifications" if you will? There's no cause to be won, no bragging rights, no extra special savings deals, no writing on the wall. I don't know .. whatever.

Last edited by visitor Q; 12-26-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-26-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

will there be arguing in the premium forum?

just kidding. this thread has been pretty enjoyable imho.
Old 12-26-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,845 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by hindolio
will there be arguing in the premium forum?

just kidding. this thread has been pretty enjoyable imho.
We get to use knives in the premium forum!
Old 12-26-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ctyankee

If I wanted an avatar I can get one for free on Home Theatre forum. Countdown feature? Nope no interest.

Will I miss the posters that will be hanging in the premium areas? To be brutally frank the shark jumped on DVD discussions years ago. And quality posters in film discussion went elsewhere because they were frustrated with the responses to their quality posts. So posters moving to premium area means nothing as they are just the people that still remain. Don't get me wrong there are some terrific people still around and still some good discussions ... but nope, not like it was. So now the people going to the premium area will have even fewer people to see and respond to their posts. So, why put any time into quality posts? Just burp out a response and see your post count go to 18,409 ... and be happy you're among other posters paying for the privilege of burping out one liners seen by fewer people than ever.

I still do some posting but most of my scanning of posts is in the Bargain area. I don't buy the premise that deals will be hidden off in the premium area. What I do believe is that Premium Members will now have to go to more sub-forums to get what they used to get in one locations. That's progress? So, it seems like a negative value for many and one they have to pay for.
You sound like you aren't the target for the premium membership anyway. So why do you even care?
Old 12-26-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I pay, I want to be able to ban one non-paying member a year. Give them 30 days to join after that if you must, but then I get to pick again.
Old 12-26-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
However we are discussing additional giveaways of things like screeners for premium members.
As someone who gets screeners at work, I'd advise you to make sure this is OK with the studios. Usually the terms of use are that screeners are not to be sold or given away.

Originally Posted by Sessa17
There are two things in this thread that I find abolutely hillarious. The people posting that they can't afford the $10, yet they have around a thousand DVDs if not more. And the people posting that they are waiting for paychecks to come in, so they can go premium.
I re-read all eleven pages of this thread, and there is ONE person who said he can't afford it and ONE person who is waiting for his next paycheck to join. Get off your high horse and come to grips with the idea that most of us who have decided not to join have done so for reasons other than the actual cost.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 12-27-08 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-27-08, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. I can't believe the commotion over people spending $10 of their own money on something they want.
Old 12-27-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
mmmmm pizza.
Old 12-27-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't get what all the fuss is about. Either you think it's worth it or you don't.
Old 12-27-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

About 5 or 6 years ago I gave $20 to HTF when they needed a new server and were collecting money. Of course that's when the forum was much more popular and useful.
Old 12-27-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
I just don't understand what the debate is about. Either do it or don't, but why all the lip service and "justifications" if you will? There's no cause to be won, no bragging rights, no extra special savings deals, no writing on the wall. I don't know .. whatever.
Old 12-27-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Don't get what all the fuss is about. Either you think it's worth it or you don't.
Old 12-27-08, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's so funny. Nobody on either side of this argument is listening to what the other is saying.
Old 12-27-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do I ignore a forum? And what does that do?
Old 12-27-08, 05:52 PM

is the $10 coupon code still working, and if so, what is it again?
Old 12-27-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Don't do it, but if you must-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9144899-post146.html
Old 12-27-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
One of us! One of us!
Old 12-27-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
One of us! One of us!
Hold your horses, he hasn't done it yet!
Old 12-27-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
do it, do it now.
Old 12-27-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do it. We don't want you on our team any way.
Old 12-28-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The avatar is a great way to express oneself visually, and I would enjoy it. But that's the only perk of the premium membership that really interests me. Now, give me easy access to my entire history of posts, and I would be more inclined to give over $10.

--THX
Old 12-28-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would there be a way to stop the avatars from displaying if you don't care to see them? Disabling them entirely for non-members (an optimal solution, from my "free" perspective) or, hell, I'd almost consider paying the fee if it meant being able to get rid of them. I much preferred browsing these forums when there were no images attached to many of the posts.
Old 12-28-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Would there be a way to stop the avatars from displaying if you don't care to see them? Disabling them entirely for non-members (an optimal solution, from my "free" perspective) or, hell, I'd almost consider paying the fee if it meant being able to get rid of them. I much preferred browsing these forums when there were no images attached to many of the posts.
You can disable Avatars in the User CP link on the top left bar.
Old 12-28-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
We get to use knives in the premium forum!
I was going to avoid posting in here (fell behind and didn't feel like catching back up) ... but I can't resist ...

You wanna know how to get *Premium Members*? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the *DVDTalk* way! And that's how you get *Premium Members*. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal. Do you want this deal?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.