Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Dolph's Punisher ever gonna get an SE?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that the US DVD is both cut by a few seconds to get an R, and there is also a workprint version of the film floating about. Am I wrong, or did the 2-disc edition get released in the UK only to get recalled due to rights issues?

In any case, I read on Rewind that the low-quality workprint and "Unrated" bits are sourced from NTSC, and I'm surprised Lionsgate has let two Punishers come and go without a special edition revisiting of the really fucking awesome Dolph Lundgren version. Has anyone heard anything, or are the theatrical and DVD releases of War Zone going to go by without a new disc?
Old 12-05-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I think there's a Japanese DVD that has the uncut version. In all honesty, the movie was straight to video in the US back in the late 80s/early 90s. It's a fun film (that is Punisher in name only) but not that good; I don't see an SE being profitable.
Old 12-05-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're lucky that movie was released on DVD, period.
Old 12-05-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Biggest problem was the movie was produced in Dolby Stereo, but the DVD is 1-channel mono!
Old 12-05-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that if they released an good quality Uncut version and it was around $14.99 MSRP I would pick it up
Old 12-05-08, 08:38 PM

If Nick Fury with the Hoff can get a dvd release then anything is possible.
Old 12-05-08, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I think there's a Japanese DVD that has the uncut version. In all honesty, the movie was straight to video in the US back in the late 80s/early 90s. It's a fun film (that is Punisher in name only) but not that good; I don't see an SE being profitable.

Actually, the film did have a limited US theatrical run, I saw the film in a theater in Puerto Rico back in 1989. The reason why the film didn't get a wider release was do to New World Pictures going bankrupt and selling their last few films to other distributors, like Warlock to Trimark Pictures and The Punisher and Brenda Star to Live Home Video.

Funny enough A.V.I.D./Live Home Video became Artisan Entertainment and was acquired by Lionsgate (Lions Gate Films) in the late 90's and so was Trimark Pictures/Vidmark Entertainment.

As far as Mark Goldblatt's The Punisher, in my opinion it is a far better film than the film Thomas Jane started in.But that is just my opinion.
Old 12-05-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not too long ago xploited cinema had the uncut version packed in with Class of 1984. I haven't watched it yet, but it's a german release.

It's on amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Klasse-von-...8537837&sr=1-4
Old 12-06-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe when Punisher War Zone comes out on DVD, they will probably put all three Punisher movies together and market it as "The Punisher" trilogy to sucker dvd consumers...
Old 12-06-08, 01:54 PM

I'd take this or any kind of DVD release of I Come In Peace... I am not ashamed to say I loved that flick and have wanted it on DVD since I first got a DVD player... so where is it already?
Old 12-06-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Willo007
The reason why the film didn't get a wider release was do to New World Pictures going bankrupt and selling their last few films to other distributors, like Warlock to Trimark Pictures and The Punisher and Brenda Star to Live Home Video.
I remember as a comic-book junkie adolescent reading all the hype in Marvel comics about the exciting alliance with New World, and all of the fantastic films we were going to see. Of course they all ended up unreleased or straight to video.
Old 12-06-08, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jon_fort42
I'd take this or any kind of DVD release of I Come In Peace... I am not ashamed to say I loved that flick and have wanted it on DVD since I first got a DVD player... so where is it already?
It is out in other regions (and under a different name). Try searching for "Dark Angel" with Dolph in the lead role. The UK Amazon site has it.

Jay

Last edited by queequeg22; 12-07-08 at 09:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-06-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Maybe when Punisher War Zone comes out on DVD, they will probably put all three Punisher movies together and market it as "The Punisher" trilogy to sucker dvd consumers...
I actually wouldn't mind that. Would be even better on Blu, especially since the 2004 movie directors cut isn't on blu.

89 Punisher was my first DVD back in 2000
Old 12-06-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by queequeg22
It is out in other regions (and other a different name). Try searching for "Dark Angel" with Dolph in the lead role. The UK Amazon site has it.

Jay
Holy crap! I've also wanted that movie for years and occasionally do a search for it. I never knew it was out under a different name... and for almost four damn years!
Old 12-08-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I remember it saying this on the side of the busful of children he saves and I always thought it would have been a hilarious title if it weren't a Punisher film: Urban Transit.
Old 12-08-08, 08:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know about the Japanese DVD, but the laserdisc edition is the uncut version.