Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MGM, PLEASE RELEASE SE'S OF TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPRIE CIRCUS!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MGM, PLEASE RELEASE SE'S OF TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPRIE CIRCUS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGM, PLEASE RELEASE SE'S OF TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS!!!

I saw this on another forum, and I couldn't agree more. I hope some people here will send off an e-mail. MGM really needs to get their act going:

MGM: Please Release SEs of TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS!

MGM really needs to get on the ball and release the Hammer Classics TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS on DVD. I see these are all airing uncut on the HD channel, Monsters HD, which means that they have already been transfered. They all carry the MGM logos. I don't have the channel, but a friend tells me the transfer on TWINS is quite stunning and looks better than any of the foreign DVD releases.

With so many Hammer films coming out this year, MGM needs to get on the ball. They could also do special editions as all the directors (John Hough, Peter Sasdy and Robert Young) are alive and well, and several have done commentaries before. Many of the main cast members of these films are alive as well.

I contacted MGM/Fox, and the gave me a contact. Her name is Julia Simmons, and the e-mail address if [email protected]. I urge anyone who wants these released (or any other classic horror that MGM is avoiding) to shoot her an e-mail. I sent her one, but have not gotten a response yet.

Last edited by Daniel McKenzey; 11-21-08 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-21-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think FOX handles all of MGMs DVD releases now
Old 11-21-08, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I think FOX handles all of MGMs DVD releases now
Indeed they do, thus the Fox contact who happens to head marketing for MGM DVDs.
Old 11-21-08, 12:42 PM

I'm completely onboard with this! In fact just last week I listed Twins and Vamp Circus in the "What are you still waiting for?" thread!!

I will drop Ms. Simmons a line...
Old 11-21-08, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=horroru;9086577]I'm completely onboard with this! In fact just last week I listed Twins and Vamp Circus in the "What are you still waiting for?" thread!!QUOTE]

Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I'm not saying they don't, but MGM/UA may not own U.S. DVD rights to these titles. These three plus Countess Dracula are Rank Organisation films controlled by Carlton on Home video(which usually ends up on A&E). MGM/UA licensed Countess Dracula from Carlton for the Midnight Movie dvd. It's obvious they own the tv distribution rights though.
Old 11-21-08, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm not saying they don't, but MGM/UA may not own U.S. DVD rights to these titles. These three plus Countess Dracula are Rank Organisation films controlled by Carlton on Home video(which usually ends up on A&E). MGM/UA licensed Countess Dracula from Carlton for the Midnight Movie dvd. It's obvious they own the tv distribution rights though.
They currently hold the DVD rights.
Old 11-22-08, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are available in region 2. If you get tired of waiting, like I did several years ago, you could get a region free player and enjoy these as well as other titles not offered to us in region 1 land.
Old 11-22-08, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
These are available in region 2. If you get tired of waiting, like I did several years ago, you could get a region free player and enjoy these as well as other titles not offered to us in region 1 land.
I have the region 2 versions, but MGM needs to release them for region 1 with the far superior transfers currently seen on Monsters HD.
Old 11-24-08, 12:23 PM

It is pretty ridiculous these films still don't have an R1 release. We need UNCUT versions of these as well. Even the old Hammer noirs are available now. When can we expect a Dracula SE from Warners?
Old 11-24-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pizza
It's unfortunate that none of these were included on the massive Hammer set released by Optimum. I would rather have had strictly horror films in that collection, as I have little interest in the sci-fi and thriller stuff. I watched Hands of the Ripper during the Challenge and quite enjoyed it. I'll have to track down the other two now.
Old 11-24-08, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
It is pretty ridiculous these films still don't have an R1 release. We need UNCUT versions of these as well. Even the old Hammer noirs are available now. When can we expect a Dracula SE from Warners?
I couldn't have said it better!!!!
Old 11-24-08, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
It's unfortunate that none of these were included on the massive Hammer set released by Optimum. I would rather have had strictly horror films in that collection, as I have little interest in the sci-fi and thriller stuff. I watched Hands of the Ripper during the Challenge and quite enjoyed it. I'll have to track down the other two now.
Yeah, there were several other titles I would have rather seen in that set, but it was still nice to get things like the longer UK cut of "One Million Years B.C." "She" was a good addition, too, although I don't know why the aspect ratio was changed in comparison to an earlier DVD I picked up. As for "Vampire Circus" and "Twins of Evil," they came together with "Countess Dracula" in a Hammer vampire box set. "Hands of the Ripper" I picked up solo, although it was previously available in another trio Hammer pack but I don't recall what the other two films were at this point.
Old 12-22-08, 02:08 AM

MGM, PLEASE RELEASE SE'S OF TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS!!!

Bump. If you haven't e-mailed her already, I urge you to do so, if only for the sake of proving to MGM/Fox that we are still intersted in catalog titles on dvd, something they've seem to have abandoned for the most part.