DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Babylon A.D.: Extended Unrated Cut ---> 01/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Babylon A.D.: Extended Unrated Cut ---> 01/06/09

Synopsis:
In the darkly futuristic world of Babylon A.D., the rules are simple: kill or be killed. Hard-hitting action superstar Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious, The Chronicles of Riddick), stars as Toorop, a ruthless mercenary hired to smuggle a mysterious young woman from the post-apocalyptic confines of Eastern Europe to the glittering megalopolis of New York City. Hunted at every turn, Toorop spirits his charge across a nightmarish wasteland only to uncover a shocking secret that will bring the entire world to its knees. Eye-popping action and mind-blowing science fiction clash head-on in this hard-edged thriller, where the only rule is survival.

DVD:

The Babylon A.D. dual single- disc includes both the theatrical and unrated cut, is presented in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. Bonus Features include:

· Babylon Babies -How author Maurice G. Dantec's novel went from page to screen
· Arctic Escape - An inside look at the snow mobile chase
· An inside look at Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia

Special Edition DVD With Digital Copy:
The Babylon A.D. Special Edition two-disc unrated cut is presented in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. The Special Edition DVD also features Digital Copy. Bonus Features include:

o Babylon Babies -How author Maurice G. Dantec's novel went from page to screen
o Arctic Escape - An inside look at the snow mobile chase
o Fit For The Screen - A featurette about the martial arts and stunts of the film
o Flight of the Hummers - The exciting Humvee chase is dissected
o Genesis of Aurora - A graphic novel prequel to Babylon A.D.
o Still gallery

Blu-ray Disc With Digital Copy:
The Babylon A.D. BD release will be authored in BD on a dual-layer 50 GB disc with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio plus French 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, Spanish, French, Cantonese, Korean and Mandarin subtitles. Bonus Features include all of the featurettes included on the standard definition two-disc DVD as well as:

· Interactive "Scene Evolution" in BonusVIEW Mode:
o Exterior Housing Project
o Toorop's Apartment (With Explosion)
o Gorsky's Armored Convoy
o Gaz Limo on Magnet
o The Convent
o The Marketplace
o Trans-Siberian Train Interior
o Night Club: The Hackers
o Night Club: Fight Scene
o Night Club: Cage Fight
o The Stampede to the Russian Sub
o Russian Sub Interior
o Snowmobile Chase
o Snowmobile Explosion: Toorop is Hit
o Harlem Square Shootout
o Darquandier's Laboratory
o Darquandier's Laboratory: Memory Machine
Old 11-04-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll be interesting to see how "extended unrated" this cut really is. I remember hearing the rumors that the first cut was around 165 minutes long, then 100 minutes long, and then finally 90 minutes long for theaters in the US. If this is what I want it to be, then it will be a real extended cut, more like the director's original intention. If it's just a few extra scenes of violence, then I'll chalk this up as another "unrated" DVD.
Old 11-04-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Per the director himself in an interview somewhere that I can't remember, his director's cut is only about 15 minutes longer.
Old 11-04-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understood, a true "director's cut" is impossible, because Fox failed to spring for SFX and interfered on-set during filming, but I imagine the Unrated Cut will be more like 70-75% of what Kassovitz wanted.

Sometimes films don't need to be directly compared to the heavyweights in their genre, and I heard a lot of complaints that it paled in comparison to Blade Runner and other movies of the sort. I don't know about everyone else, but my expectations for a Vin Diesel summer actioner are not quite at the Blade Runner watermark, and I thought the movie was highly underrated by critics. It was no masterpiece, but it was fun with the exception of a few of the fight scenes (cut at an unwatchable speed) and the ending, where SOMETHING is clearly missing, rendering the last 15 minutes abrupt and somewhat confusing.
Old 11-04-08, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any word on the actual run time of the unrated cut?
Old 11-05-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The director has openly stated that his true director's cut doesn't exist because he was never allowed to film his version of what he initially signed on for.
Old 11-05-08, 11:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Passed on the theatrical run of this -- may check this out though.
Old 11-05-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats making me rather nervous again, is the fact that the release is being listed everywhere with an 1:85,1 aspect ratio, whereas the theatrical aspect ratio of the movie was 2:35,1!
hope this is just an info mistake and not becoming a trend that scope films are being released in 1:85,1 on standard dvd (see my traitor dvd thread!).
Old 11-18-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
dvd cover art

http://vindiesel.hu/images/babylonaddvdr1artpic.jpg