Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to rent a double (or triple, etc) dip?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With finances becoming a little tighter, I am trying to cut down on the number of double dips that I purchase. I recently signed up for netflix but atleast from what I've seen, it's hard to tell whether they ever get new versions of existing flicks. For example, I wanted to rent the new Psycho, Rear Window, and Touch of Evil dvds mainly just to watch the new extras, but I can't tell if netflix does or will ever carry these. The alternative would be a local video store, but my experience has been that they often don't get the new edition and even when a store does, it's hard to narrow it down from the potential hundreds of video stores in the area. Even calling an employee at a video store is a hit or miss considering some of the workers are either apathetic or aren't the brightest to begin with. Thanks
Old 10-11-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's probably a crapshoot. I rented a couple of the Bond movies from Netflix, and I got the older versions, not the restored versions from 2 years ago.

Even if they have a later edition, they may not have the extra discs. They have the CE of Predator, which I rented to hear the commentary that Fox left off the BD, but there's no option to get the second disc (even though you can for some other titles).

If it says "collector's edition" or whatever in the title, I suppose you will get that version, but otherwise you never know. I really haven't been with Netflix long enough to know their track record for getting newer editions.
Old 10-11-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I was fairly successful in tracking down new special editions at Blockbuster in the past. As always though, YMMV.
Old 10-12-08, 07:49 AM
Cool New Member

My local library systems have been good for locating specific editions. I was able to find many Criterions there for example.
Old 10-12-08, 02:04 PM

The drawback to renting them is that most stores charge NEW RELEASE prices ($6.00 +) for OLD movies like PSYCHO and GODFATHER.

And how shocked was I to see a copy of the new SALO for rent on the new release wall. Naked, crying cover chick on full display.