Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mr. Bean: The Ultimate Collection - 12/16/08 (TV series + animated series + films)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mr. Bean: The Ultimate Collection - 12/16/08 (TV series + animated series + films)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

TVShowsonDVD is reporting that an Ultimate Collection for Mr Bean will be released on December 16, 2008. It will include the complete live-action series, the complete animated series and both theatrical films (Bean: The Movie and Mr Bean's Holiday). The article mentions extras, but I'm not sure if they are new or are ones already on the previously released DVDs.
Old 10-03-08, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice collection for Bean fans. I own the previous Whole bean complete series that was released some years back from A&E. I wonder however if this set will include the unedited episodes because on the previous set some of the episodes were edited missing some small parts.
Old 10-04-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this has those few uncut episodes then i will finally bite. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-04-08, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, me too. The edited episodes has kept me away from the old set for years.
Old 10-04-08, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm...I'll want this, depending on the prices I can get them for. Uhm, what was edited on those episodes..and why? I usually thought Mr. Bean was a pretty clean comedy slapstick show.
Old 10-04-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
hmm...I'll want this, depending on the prices I can get them for. Uhm, what was edited on those episodes..and why? I usually thought Mr. Bean was a pretty clean comedy slapstick show.
The US syndicated versions were shorter, and A&E only presented the shorter versions. The only sequence missing I can think of off the top of my head was one where Mr. Bean sabotoged an electric reclining chair to make sure he got it and not another customer, but I think there was at least one scene from every ep.
Old 10-04-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From IMDB

The 2003 "Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean" DVD box set contains all 14 episodes of the series. However, some episodes, such as "Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean" and "Do-It-Yourself, Mr. Bean" have been edited, with a few sequences missing (buying his Christmas turkey, trying out his armchair in a department store, etc.). 'Story of Bean, The (1997) (TV)' documentary has also been edited (most notably, the section detailing 'Tall Guy, The (1989)' has been removed). The edited episodes on the DVD appear to be the same ones originally aired on British Television minus "End of Part One", etc, as the video versions (released in the 1990s under the guises of "the red/blue/turqoise/purple Mr Bean videos") have these cut scenes intact.
Old 10-06-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And I just bought the second movie too! This'd be great in the space saver sense, but I could never bring myself to purchase something I already own. *sigh*
Old 10-06-08, 09:49 AM

this guy is funnyyy
Old 10-06-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would love an uncut complete collection. I love Bean.
Old 10-06-08, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can do without the cartoons, but I've been waiting for an uncut set of live action episodes for years. I hope it happens!

Last edited by Living Dead; 10-06-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 05:24 PM

I have the set in front of me, and here's the good, the bad and the Bean (it's nice to work for a company that sells videos and gets samples of many new releases so that catalog blurbs can be written and then the DVDs put on the "free" shelf for employees!).

Discs 1-3 are identical to the original 3-disc collection of Mr. Bean television shows from the 90s (same 14 episodes in their U.S. version, same extras on the third disc, etc.).

Disc 4 is Mr. Bean: The Movie and is a flipper, with fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other.

Disc 5 is Mr. Bean's Holiday, and the disc is single sided with only the fullscreen version of the movie!! What a joke (I'm glad I didn't pay for this!). There are about 24 minutes of deleted scenes presented in non-anamorphic widescreen, and 3 short featurettes about the movie (totaling around 20 minutes) presented in anamorphic widescreen.

Discs 6-7 are identical to the 2-disc Mr. Bean: The Animated Series Volume 1.

Overall, while it is nice having these discs in slimcases and in one small box, there are problems that might prevent people from buying the set:

(1) Mr. Bean's Holiday is fullscreen
(2) This really isn't the "Ultimate Collection" since Volume 2 and 3 (4 DVDs) of the animated series are missing!
Old 11-12-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diditagain
I have the set in front of me, and here's the good, the bad and the Bean (it's nice to work for a company that sells videos and gets samples of many new releases so that catalog blurbs can be written and then the DVDs put on the "free" shelf for employees!).

Discs 1-3 are identical to the original 3-disc collection of Mr. Bean television shows from the 90s (same 14 episodes in their U.S. version, same extras on the third disc, etc.).

Disc 4 is Mr. Bean: The Movie and is a flipper, with fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other.

Disc 5 is Mr. Bean's Holiday, and the disc is single sided with only the fullscreen version of the movie!! What a joke (I'm glad I didn't pay for this!). There are about 24 minutes of deleted scenes presented in non-anamorphic widescreen, and 3 short featurettes about the movie (totaling around 20 minutes) presented in anamorphic widescreen.

Discs 6-7 are identical to the 2-disc Mr. Bean: The Animated Series Volume 1.

Overall, while it is nice having these discs in slimcases and in one small box, there are problems that might prevent people from buying the set:

(1) Mr. Bean's Holiday is fullscreen
(2) This really isn't the "Ultimate Collection" since Volume 2 and 3 (4 DVDs) of the animated series are missing!
You took the time to type all that, how about posting some pics?
Old 11-12-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea! I can save some money by passing on another incomplete set of BEAN. Apparently they just dont want my money.
Old 11-12-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off Diditagain - THANK YOU for posting all of that info! I appreciate that you took the time to type all that.

Since I already have "The Whole Bean" and "Bean" the movie, I will pass on this.

For any fan of Rowan Atkinson, I recommend his Live! dvd - it's skit comedy, and really funny (IMHO, of course).
Old 11-12-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So nothing uncut? Full Screen Holiday? Pass.
Old 11-13-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What blows my mind is that ...

1. The episodes are still cut.

2. Bean: The Movie is still the same flipper disc from the beginning of the DVD era and it kills me that the VHS edition had MORE extras (including over 20 minutes worth of deleted scenes).

3. Mr. Bean's Holiday is the full screen transfer plus a single-layered disc (the retail release was dual-layered).

4. Only two discs of the animated series are presented here.

Not really ultimate.
Old 11-13-08, 01:59 AM

Wow....this set ultimately sucks.

Was planning on picking it up but...blah....no effort was put in this at all. They just crammed leftovers onto a new package and called it a day.
Old 11-13-08, 06:14 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Wow, I almost sold my Whole Bean and the two movies expecting to get this, glad I didn't! Thanx diditagain.
Old 11-13-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was interested in upgrading my set of the tv series for this supposedly complete Mr. Bean collection, but after reading this thread, I get to save my money instead.

While the Mr. Bean tv series on dvd is edited, the episodes are still a riot and I am glad I own them.
Old 11-13-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't switch to Geiko but I did save a lot of money by reading this thread and seeing I don't need to buy this set.
Old 11-13-08, 12:09 PM

Sorry Sessa17, I have neither a digital camera nor a scanner (wow, that makes me sound so out of the technology loop!). Trust me, you're not missing much -- it's just 7 slimcases in the box (see the front cover art on Amazon). The slimcase covers are primarily orange with a few Mr. Bean's scattered about (first five discs are real-life images, the last two discs are animated images).

Glad I could provide the information for everyone to make an informed decision. I know I'd be seriously upset if I bought this and found out that Mr. Bean's Holiday was fullscreen (by the way, there is no mention of the aspect ratio on either the outer box or the back of the slimcase -- only the disc itself, which shows the "1.33:1 Full Frame" icon).
Old 11-13-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by diditagain
Sorry Sessa17, I have neither a digital camera nor a scanner (wow, that makes me sound so out of the technology loop!). Trust me, you're not missing much --
It's cool. I definitely agree, like others here. You helped save me some money, I was totally planning on buying this set, but now will pass.
Old 11-13-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you definitely helped a lot of people making an informed decision. I know personally I was highly anticipating this until I caught your review. You saved me a pretty penny.