Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The X-Files: I Want To Believe--> 12/2/08: w/ Extended and Theatrical Cuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmj713
Why do they call it a 3-disc set if the 3rd disc is the stupid digital copy?
Because 2 discs and a coaster doesn't sound as appealing.
Old 09-17-08, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the show until probably the fifth season...maybe sixth. I went into this hoping to see the characters I loved interacting again, and was hugely disappointed. I'm a fan of The X Files, but not this movie.
Old 09-17-08, 02:10 PM
Banned

WHy dont they sell a two disk and a three disk instead of a one and three disk? Give us a two disk with the movie and documentary and for those who are into those damn digital copies make them pay more for it if they want it.
Old 09-17-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those hoping for a 3rd film, I wouldn't hold your breath. Maybe something direct to DVD down the road... but I think it's safe to say that X-Files won't get another bite at the theatrical apple. The reviews were bad and the box office on this thing couldn't be described as anything other than very disappointing.

The 1998 movie made $189 million. This one made $42 million.

No one at Fox is going to greenlight another one of these.
Old 09-17-08, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Where are you getting your info from?

It bombed in the US: $21 million
It bombed overseas: $21 million

It's total worldwide gross is $42 million, NOT $60 million.

It cost $30 million to make, so if you include advert costs, it's just barely made it's money back so far.
Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $20,936,453
International Gross $43,445,451
Worldwide Gross $64,381,904

http://the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php
Old 09-17-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A fine theatrical experience of a story that would have fit better on TV. Not great, but not bad. Definitely in for the 3-disc "X-Phile" edition. Great covers, too.

Originally Posted by indy81
Is the first film OOP on DVD? I never picked it up when it was in the bargain bins, and now I wish I had.
Could be. I don't see it at Best Buy or Circuit City, and its availability at Amazon is only from other sellers. Sort of strange; one would think Fox would re-release it as a companion with the newest one. Especially since they're bringing it out on Blu-ray (with cover art that matches I Want to Believe).

--THX
Old 09-17-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by benh911
Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $20,936,453
International Gross $43,445,451
Worldwide Gross $64,381,904

http://the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php
How interesting. According to boxofficemojo.com, it was what Shannon Nutt said:

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $20,936,453 49.5%
+ Foreign: $21,354,421 50.5%
= Worldwide: $42,290,874

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xfiles2.htm
Old 09-17-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Box Office Mojo hasn't been doing a good job with keeping their international grosses fully updated the last few months, so I'd say The-Numbers.com is correct. Worldwide, the movie performed okay. Not a huge hit, but not a big bomb either.

Last edited by Seantn; 09-17-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
For those hoping for a 3rd film, I wouldn't hold your breath. Maybe something direct to DVD down the road... but I think it's safe to say that X-Files won't get another bite at the theatrical apple. The reviews were bad and the box office on this thing couldn't be described as anything other than very disappointing.

The 1998 movie made $189 million. This one made $42 million.

No one at Fox is going to greenlight another one of these.
Before the cameras started rolling, Fox was trumpeting how "I Want to Believe" wasn't going to be a mythology-based movie, and that it was going to be a small, standalone tale.

Which pretty much translates to wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it.

The shitty box office showing is their own damned fault.
Old 09-18-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A $64 million worldwide gross on a $35 million budget isn't terrible.

It'll do well on DVD because all the people who thought it didn't look interesting enough to see in theaters will rent it.

Once it's all said and done, I could see them possibly doing a TV movie or a direct-to-DVD movie some day. We'll never see another one in theaters, that's for sure. It did bomb in the US, and any future theatrical outings would as well.
Old 09-18-08, 01:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind that, but do you think Duchovny, Anderson, and Carter would be able to swallow their pride and do a direct-to-DVD or TV movie?
Old 09-18-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, absolutely. It's based on a TV show that they did for a big chunk of their careers, so doing a TV movie isn't a step down at all.

Duchovny himself is still on television with his Showtime show, Californication. I think they'd object to doing a TV movie if they had become bigger stars after the show ended, but they didn't. They're famous, just not REALLY famous.
Old 09-18-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I walked out of this movie, stupified, with a low 'What?' on my lips... I think, just like the Star Trek series, that they let the wrong people in charge of the series (Berman and Carter).

X-Files 2 was a good movie - a GREAT psychlogical drama for maybe a TV show. I enjoyed the movie, but it was SO WRONG for the follow up theatrical release to Fight the Future. It totally misunderstands what was needed to breathe life into the movie franchise it could have become and it wraps up and really adds nothing to the open questions that fans are looking for.

All of that being said, I think there WILL be a 3rd movie. The wrap up to the mythology with a huge budget and a good script, hopefully NOT written and directed by Chris Carter and it will make a ton of money if done right. They pretty much got exactly what they thought they would when they submitted that script and released the movie at THAT time. It still has potential to make 50-60 million or more in profit once DVD and rental get out there...
Old 09-18-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Kerborus
All of that being said, I think there WILL be a 3rd movie. The wrap up to the mythology with a huge budget and a good script, hopefully NOT written and directed by Chris Carter and it will make a ton of money if done right. They pretty much got exactly what they thought they would when they submitted that script and released the movie at THAT time. It still has potential to make 50-60 million or more in profit once DVD and rental get out there...
The one problem with that is that Chris Carter created the series. These are his characters and without him their can't be a third movie. But I do agree that he should potentially let someone else direct the feature, but it wouldn't be a true-wrap up if he didn't write the film.
Old 09-18-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FOX will not do a third one.

They put little money and zero promotion into the sequel and threw it out at one of the busiest times of the summer with zero faith.

Unless there is a major change in management at FOX, there will not be a third sequel.
Old 09-19-08, 08:27 AM

The key words were "at THAT time". It is obvious there is almost no interest in "The X-Files" brand at this point. Maybe if Fox grabs an early 20s hot cast and opens up the "Fox Mulder School for Paranormal Investigation", then Duchovny and Anderson can be "teachers", they'll give it a shot. Otherwise, it's dead.

Chris Carter is not the problem. I think Carter probably wrote to the budget he was given. I have to wonder what Carter would have done if Fox had said "we'll give you 80 million to do what you want". I have the feeling we would have had Mulder and Scully fighting off an alien invasion. I just can't believe that this movie was Carter's "dream" resurrection of the franchise.

And when I say that "Carter is not the problem", I guess that's not meant to say he isn't obviously responsible for everyone's positive or negative feelings about this latest movie. He is. I'm just saying if Carter were handed a huge budget, it would not be in bad hands, IMO. Of course, there is no way that will ever happen. If Fox does that, I will demand a Serenity sequel if they are up to giving second chances to failed tv properties.
Old 09-19-08, 06:59 PM

I'm hoping X-FILES will be like STAR TREK to some degree, and survive this one misstep.

I was really rooting for this film, and had to sadly admit that it wasn't what it should have been. I'm still not even quite sure what the movie was about, and why it was an "X-file". It wasn't scary, it was just kind of weird and boring.

I'm still in for the 3 disc, and maybe I'll buy the single disc too, since I kinda prefer that cover art. Hopefully the support fans show for the dvd will encourage them to try it again, but this time, get a different set of show writers, (Maybe the guys who wrote the episode "Bad Blood"?) to take a crack at it. The small budget shouldn't have been a problem. It was all in the script. The humor, the electricity between Mulder and Scully...absent.

Still a fan. sigh.
Old 09-20-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by BrandonJF
The key words were "at THAT time". It is obvious there is almost no interest in "The X-Files" brand at this point. Maybe if Fox grabs an early 20s hot cast and opens up the "Fox Mulder School for Paranormal Investigation", then Duchovny and Anderson can be "teachers", they'll give it a shot. Otherwise, it's dead.
I've always thought that it would be awesome to, sometime around 2020, do a second X-Files series with two new agents assigned the X-Files.

And then, bring David Duchovney back as Fox Mulder in the same "shadowy informant" capacity Deep Throat served in the first season back in '93.
Old 12-30-08, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I did buy this on Blu Ray. After watching it a second time, as much as I wanted to like this movie more, it's just very dull. Hopefully we'll see some Direct To DVD sequels.
Old 12-30-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interview with FOX Filmed Entertainment Chairman Tom Rothman on 14 October 2008:

IESB: X-Files, truthfully, I'm a huge X-Files fan, I was a bit disappointed with the new film. It didn't feel like an X-Files movie, but I hope to god, I know there's an idea that Chris [Carter] had about the 2012 mythology of the X-Files, the alien colonization, any chance we'll see X-Files 3?

TR: It's really up to Chris, David [Duchovny] and Gillian [Anderson].

IESB: The second one wasn't an expensive film.

TR: No, but it wasn't a matter of the money, that was the film that Chris wanted to do. He was determined to do a stand alone film, a film that wasn't dependent upon the mythology. His interest in making the movie, was in the characters and in their relationship, not the mythology.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...id=99IESB.net:
Old 12-30-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrandonJF

Chris Carter is not the problem. I think Carter probably wrote to the budget he was given. I have to wonder what Carter would have done if Fox had said "we'll give you 80 million to do what you want". I have the feeling we would have had Mulder and Scully fighting off an alien invasion. I just can't believe that this movie was Carter's "dream" resurrection of the franchise.

And when I say that "Carter is not the problem", I guess that's not meant to say he isn't obviously responsible for everyone's positive or negative feelings about this latest movie. He is. I'm just saying if Carter were handed a huge budget, it would not be in bad hands, IMO. Of course, there is no way that will ever happen. If Fox does that, I will demand a Serenity sequel if they are up to giving second chances to failed tv properties.
Well, by that last post, looks like you're wrong on all counts. As I said, there WILL be an X-files 3.
Old 12-30-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Well, by that last post, looks like you're wrong on all counts. As I said, there WILL be an X-files 3.
The last post? The one quoting the studio exec putting control of the movie on someone else? Yeah, what else is he going to say about a movie that wasnt really successful? Nowhere in that post does it say there is definitely going to be another film.

Last edited by jjcool; 12-30-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 10:25 AM

I want to believe...
Old 01-01-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never trust the words of one Tom Rothman.
Old 01-02-09, 10:12 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i think they will do a third if it continues plot from the 1st. i think this (2nd) was the standalone and a third will cap the series off right and get rid of any bad tastes from the studios and fans. chris carter can pull it off and i think this will most definitely happen.