Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?
Yes, I prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality
13.78%
No, I prefer Blu Ray video quality over DVD video quality
76.89%
I like both equally.
9.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steelpotato
Cannot seriously believe people are voting dvd over blu-ray in terms of video quality. Jaw-dropping.
Here's an analogy (this analogy may be more appropriate for people that prefer VHS over Blu Ray which is not the topic here): some people prefer the graphics of old school Nintendo or Sega Genesis video games over Wii or PS3 video games. The technology may be better, but I personally like the video quality of the old Nintendo system and the Sega Genesis games more than the graphics of the new video game systems.
Old 09-06-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Electronic store setups are not to be judged on quality, because they intentionally have the brightness and contrast turned up much higher than normal to make the TVs stand out more. In the display menu, it's the 'daylight' setting or some similar name, also referred to as 'torch mode'. No one would watch any kind of TV like that at home unless they didn't know how to set it up properly.
Everything in the store is set to Flamethrower mode. They need the TV's to look bright under the florescent lighting.
Old 09-06-08, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Here's an analogy (this analogy may be more appropriate for people that prefer VHS over Blu Ray which is not the topic here): some people prefer the graphics of old school Nintendo or Sega Genesis video games over Wii or PS3 video games. The technology may be better, but I personally like the video quality of the old Nintendo system and the Sega Genesis games more than the graphics of the new video game systems.
Here's another; people like seeing through a clean pair of glasses, not slightly dirty ones.
Old 09-06-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by steelpotato
Here's another; people like seeing through a clean pair of glasses, not slightly dirty ones.

I hate glasses. Clean, dirty, doesn't matter. I hate them but I'm damn near blind without them.
Old 09-07-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I hate glasses. Clean, dirty, doesn't matter. I hate them but I'm damn near blind without them.
That's why I love my Blu-ray compatible contact lenses!
Old 09-07-08, 01:46 AM

A visual comparison leaves out one important element: the longevity of the Blu-ray format. SD DVD players have been around in large quantities since 1996. Even now, over 95% of DVDs sold are SD format. The way data storage technology is now changing, it is unlikely that the Blu-ray DVD players will have such a long run as a widely used consumer product.

If Blu-ray remains a niche market, bought only by early adapters and technophiles who only want the best quality, then Blu-ray could end up like laserdiscs. Laserdiscs were a superior video technology that was too expensive for most consumers, so when DVD players came along, LD players vanished from the marketplace almost overnight. Sony has to hope that a new storage technology does not come along in the next few years that is cheaper and almost as good as Blu-ray. When Blu-ray beat out HD-DVD in the format war, HD-DVD players became obsolete within weeks as Toshiba dropped its support for HD-DVD technology.

So thinking in terms of cost vs. benefit, sticking with the SD DVD format makes economic sense on a short term basis.
Old 09-07-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrytwo
A visual comparison leaves out one important element: the longevity of the Blu-ray format. SD DVD players have been around in large quantities since 1996. Even now, over 95% of DVDs sold are SD format. The way data storage technology is now changing, it is unlikely that the Blu-ray DVD players will have such a long run as a widely used consumer product.

If Blu-ray remains a niche market, bought only by early adapters and technophiles who only want the best quality, then Blu-ray could end up like laserdiscs. Laserdiscs were a superior video technology that was too expensive for most consumers, so when DVD players came along, LD players vanished from the marketplace almost overnight. Sony has to hope that a new storage technology does not come along in the next few years that is cheaper and almost as good as Blu-ray. When Blu-ray beat out HD-DVD in the format war, HD-DVD players became obsolete within weeks as Toshiba dropped its support for HD-DVD technology.

So thinking in terms of cost vs. benefit, sticking with the SD DVD format makes economic sense on a short term basis.
Well, the PS3 should alleviate some of that concern. Sony seems to think they can make it last 10 years. I don't think it can be the marquee console for that long, but it should be for a few more years, and remain on the market for a few years after that. It's highly likely its successor will use BD as well.
Old 09-07-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After watching Blu-rays, there's no way I can go back to standard dvds. For those of you complaining about the price, maybe try some Hd-dvds first, since the price on those are cheaper than their dvd counterparts, to see if hi-def is something you can appreciate and then invest in Blu-ray.

Since a lot of us here pride ourselves on our collections and HT setups, it's only logical to get the disc that gives you the best presentation possible for film media.
Old 09-07-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just want the same video quality as I see in the movie theaters, instead of something so drastically different.
I am going to address only one of the points in your opening post:

The video (???) quality you see in the movie theater is FAR AND AWAY from being transportable to SDVD.

I prefer Blu-ray.

Pro-B
Old 09-07-08, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, it's just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
High five.
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Same for me as well.
Originally Posted by KLZ
When blue ray prices match today's dvd prices is when i'll buy some. There is no other reason for me to pay more when the dvd quality is just perfectly fine.
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
DVD will suffice until the next format, cause I don't think that Blu-Ray will kill DVD.
So you guys still collect just SD DVDs like me?

Last edited by blued888; 09-07-08 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
I always thought that DVD video quality is cleaner than a movie theater presentation. It probably has to do with size and things look different blown up on a huge screen when compared to it being shrunk down to a 37 inch screen. Even if I sit all the way in the back (making screen look smaller), I still thought that DVD video quality is a cleaner presentation. Once again, I don't care which is considered better - I only consider what I prefer (1st movie theater, and then at home on the DVD). The only time that I saw a perfectly clean movie (which I personally don't like) in the theater was the digital presentation of Once Upon a Time in Mexico - that felt like I was watching a DVD. All our eyes see different things...
Old 09-07-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the argument that movies look "too good" in HD is naive. If you've ever seen a film in a theater, it's higher-def than HD. When I saw The Wizard of Oz in 35mm (dye-transfer Technicolor no less), it was thrilling to see it with detail bursting off the screen.

Look at it as seeing a painting in person rather than a photograph. Then seeing all the wonderful details that are less visible in a reproduction. It gives a more satisfying experience.

This goes for anything from movies shot on 16mm to those shot in Cinerama.

HD brings out more of what the image should look like in a theatrical showing rather than too much. This is why I'm upgrading to BluRay sometime next month. I love the idea of being able to get closer to a proper theatrical presentation in my own home. DVD brought us closer, but BluRay goes farther.
Old 09-07-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My first full-length BD viewing was earlier this week. I've read that the video quality of the "Independence Day" BD isn't what people were hoping for, but I must say, I was VERY impressed by it.

Why?

Because it did not look like I was watching the movie in "High Definition".
It looked like I was watching actual film, only it was on a television screen.

I've seen it hundreds of times, but that was the first time it made me feel like I was watching it in a theater back in 1996.

That's about the highest compliment I could give.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 09-07-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can understand an argument that you prefer to keep your DVD and not upgrade to a blu-ray disc due to a poor transfer, because it doesn't look truly like HD, but even then that person would be wrong. Even if you have an HD title with grain on it, you still will get a sharper image and better color saturation than on a SD disc.
Old 09-07-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, I do like a nicely mastered video quality DVD, but I guess i'm not a video quality junky like most people in here...I'm happy with DVD and I don't see any reason for myself to "upgrade".
Old 09-07-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
to all of you who are only judging the quality of Blu-ray based only on the displays at stores. I would have thought most people around here would have known better than that.
Perhaps because this is where the products are demonstrated and sold.
Perhaps because this is the only place I have to see this product and I do not know anyone who owns Blu ray.

I would have thought most people would not judge others without all the facts.
Old 09-07-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I can understand an argument that you prefer to keep your DVD and not upgrade to a blu-ray disc due to a poor transfer, because it doesn't look truly like HD, but even then that person would be wrong. Even if you have an HD title with grain on it, you still will get a sharper image and better color saturation than on a SD disc.
Well, part of the problem may be this notion of what HD is "supposed" to look like. HD does not mean "clean;" it just means a more faithful presentation of the source. If a film is grainy, it can look more grainy in HD because that detail is better resolved, and maybe those who think DVD is cleaner should stick with it.

It would be interesting to see what non-knowledgeable people think of titles like Patton, Face/Off, and Pan's Labyrinth (US version). I bet they would really like them, which is unfortunate for those of us who want to preserve the real look of these films.
Old 09-07-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't seen Patton or Face/Off but I know what you mean about Pan's Labyrinth. As long as grain is intentional, it needs to be there. It looks awful when you over-process a movie to get the grain out of there. Pan's Labyrinth looks pretty, no doubt, but man, I wish they just left it as was. DNR needs to GO BYE BYE. What I was talking about was movies that weren't presented as they were meant to be, and didn't look much better than their DVD counter-part.

I agree the discussion of what HD SHOULD look like vs a poor transfer should make someone decide if their DVD looks 'good enough' compared to the HD version to upgrade. However, that's not the question of this thread, it's strictly 'does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu-Ray'. There's different reasons to appreciate DVD over Blu-Ray depending on the film and transfer. There are movies out there that just look like spruced up versions of the DVD master, and be that they may not be worthy of an upgrade, they'll still look better in quality grain or not, because they'll still have better color penetration and they'll look a little sharper.
Old 09-08-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
to all of you who are only judging the quality of Blu-ray based only on the displays at stores. I would have thought most people around here would have known better than that.
True. And I think most people on this forum are familiar with the concept of "torch mode", yet for those of us without HD setups and have no friends with HD setups, how else are we to make a comparison? To echo Brian's words:

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Perhaps because this is where the products are demonstrated and sold.
Perhaps because this is the only place I have to see this product and I do not know anyone who owns Blu ray.

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Yeah, I just don't get that, or the people that day, they can't tell the difference b/w a Blu-Ray or a movie on there little 27" 4:3 TV, or what have you.
I really think for the most part, anyone that prefers a DVD over a Blu quality wise, just doesn't have the proper set-up.
Again, my point was that I want to believe in Blu's superiority, but I have not seen it for myself and any avenue available to me has only been disappointing in comparison.

And I, like many I would wager, am not ready to junk my otherwise perfectly fine 32" SDTV in order to spend $2000+ for what has thusfar looked to be a mediocre return on my investment in terms of PQ.

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
My favorite Best Buy location has a side by side of a massive gathering of warriors preparing for battle. While the Blu-ray half looks nice and sharp, the DVD half seems a little too undefined. I keep wondering if it's been tweaked to make the Blu-ray side look all the better.

--THX
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Keep in mind that those demos are made by Blu-ray manufacturers in order to sell Blu-ray. So it's in their interest to made standard defintion look as bad as possible in comparison to HD.
I presumed this to be the case. The comparison always seemed a little juiced.

Originally Posted by nateman
That's what I always want to say (and have said a few times) if you can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and DVD. I know people with glasses that can tell the difference. I don't know how people with 20/20 vision can't.
I'll use your post, nateman, as a catch-all for all the other condescending "if you can't see it, you must need glasses" posts.

My vision is better than 20/20 and I don't see a big difference. I certainly don't see a $2,000 difference. Again, I *want* to, I just don't.
Old 09-08-08, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, it's just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.
Bingo! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-08-08, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the tweaking of Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula further revealed by hidef's resolution makes me physically ill.
Old 09-08-08, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Fanboy;8925863]condescending "if you can't see it, you must need glasses" [QUOTE]

my glasses post was an analogy. please don't bait or get personal. tah.
Old 09-08-08, 06:57 PM

I perfer the regular DVD quality over Blu!!
Old 09-08-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. I think they're pretty similiar on my 37" though. The difference varies from very, very noticeable to huge on the projector @ 106".
Old 09-08-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't even own a Blu-ray title, and yet I don't think I'd pick SD-DVD over Blu-Ray.

52" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.