Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which do you prefer: Double Feature DVDs or owning each title separately?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Double Features or separate DVDs?
Double Features
14.29%
I prefer each title individually
49.21%
It depends on various factors, which I'll elaborate on in the thread below
36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking in the vein of the MGM's Midnite Movie series, Anchor Bay's Midnite or Hammer Collection, or even "quadruple features" like WB's '4 Film Favorites'. Would you prefer to conserve space or have a separate case for each film?

I much prefer the double features that contain two discs (such as Anchor Bay's Hammer Collection) rather than a single dual-sided one.

While we're at it, what about box sets? I bring it up because when I first received the Alien Quadrilogy 9-disc set, I was so annoyed by the packaging that I actually sold it and bought the separate 2-disc special editions.
Old 09-02-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Uh, first you prefer two 1-sided discs over a 2-sider, then you say the Alien Quadrilogy packaging is annoying? It would have been a lot less annoying if they'd used 2-sided discs in that!

I'm all for conserving space, that's one of the things DVD was supposed to do from its beginning. I loved when Universal put 4 movies on one DVD-18, too bad they made most of them at Technicolor Mexico where a lot of them turned out defective.
Old 09-02-08, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the double features, but also prefer separate discs. For box sets, I prefer double slimpacks holding the dvds with a simple outer cardboard case.
Old 09-02-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
It depends if I want to watch both movies on a disc as a double feature. I use a 5-disc changer and load it for 1. Cartoon 2. First feature 3. Intermission 4. Trailers 5. Second feature. Program the player and hit go. Only bothers me if both movies on a disc are "perfect together". Doesn't happen often. Usually it seems no thought goes into the pairing by the studios. I've got all the single Hammer releases. Kept my copy of single midnight movies that were released later as DF with a previously unreleased title.
Old 09-02-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm not a fan of flipper discs and i try to make sure both of the movies are connected in some way (same director, part 1 and part 2, etc.)
Old 09-02-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Kept my copy of single midnight movies that were released later as DF with a previously unreleased title.

Did you buy any of the DFs? The Mephisto Waltz is the very reason I bought that particular set, still haven't watched House on Skull Mountain.
Old 09-02-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Uh, first you prefer two 1-sided discs over a 2-sider, then you say the Alien Quadrilogy packaging is annoying? It would have been a lot less annoying if they'd used 2-sided discs in that!
The fundamental problem wasn't the disc number, but the ludicrous foldout packaging that, when completely unfolded, was in danger of crushing a miniature Stone Henge.
Old 09-02-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I only own 2 DVDs that are double features. They reak havok on my title count because I like to count how many total titles (rather than just straight DVD purchases) and DVD Profiler won't let me add the same DVD twice (which I would prefer.)
Old 09-02-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I would like to have individual disc movies first. But if a certian movie only came in a double feature that would be ok. But I would like a two disc set with each movie on each disc, that would be ok for me. I don't like movies on each side of the same disc.
Old 09-02-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I definitely prefer double features, or even triple features, to save space. The slimmer the case, the better!

Rob
Old 09-02-08, 09:29 AM

Separate. Alphabetizing is a pain. and sometimes you get 1 FS and one WS.
Old 09-02-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
It depends. As others have mentioned, putting them on the shelf in the right spot can be troublesome. But I do like saving space. I have liked when they've released the "Psycho" sequels, or the "Lethal Weapon" movies together, but not so much when it's 2 random movies thrown together.
Old 09-02-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
If it's a trilogy or film series, and I like them all...sure, why not?

2 to 4 random movies by the same studio together? Forget bout it!
Old 09-02-08, 02:28 PM

It really doesn't matter do me...cause for some titles the original packaging and special features really don't matter
Old 09-02-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Did you buy any of the DFs? The Mephisto Waltz is the very reason I bought that particular set, still haven't watched House on Skull Mountain.
I bought any DF that had a previously unrelased title on it I wanted. I didn't get Mephisto Waltz or House On Skull Mountain because I don't really care for either.
Old 09-02-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As long as they aren't flippers, I'm fine with double features.
Old 09-02-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Double features should definitely be housed on separate discs - MoC's Mizoguchi series being a perfect example of double features done right.
Old 09-02-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
As long as they aren't flippers, I'm fine with double features.
Just to be clear, a flipper implies a single movie where half of the movie is on one side and the other half is on the other. A double feature which one movie was on one side and the other movie is on the other side wouldn't be a true "flipper." It would just be a double sided disc.
Old 09-02-08, 09:57 PM

Whatever is cheaper, I purchased the 4 Film Favorites of Lethal Weapon for like 10 bucks, and I might get the Superman one when it comes out. I don't mind the flippers if its like the Lethal Weapon Set.
Old 09-02-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Seperate
Old 09-02-08, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
They reak havok on my title count because I like to count how many total titles (rather than just straight DVD purchases) and DVD Profiler won't let me add the same DVD twice (which I would prefer.)
Actually, you can if the double-feature was profiled correctly. What you do is add the Double-Feature UPC but check the None Box for Collection Number so it's not counted. Then you add the individual discs or sides in the Add Inserted Disc tab and those profile's Collection Numbers will keep the count accurate (& you add those discs to the UPC profile as Box Set Contents to keep it neat in your local list). Of course if there is only a one-sided disc with two movies, you can let the UPC profile have a Collection Number and the disc profile have a Collection Number to keep the count accurate that way.
Old 09-03-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm happy my Lethal Weapon movies are all contained in one keepcase instead of 4 snappers. But it would be to be able to separate some of my double features that don't really go together as well (Something Wild and Desparately Seeing Susan, Return Of The Killer Tomatoes, Return To Horror High)

But the price is right on these usually, either the same price as buying one of them. That's assuming you can still find them on their own somewhere.
Old 09-03-08, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I count each 'package' as one title anyways- Box set of a complete movie series counts as 1 title. Promo disc with one music video and nothing else also counts as 1.
Old 09-03-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My usual thoughts when seeing a double feature DVD:

"I'd like to see that movie, but have absolutely no interest in the other."
or
"I'd like to see that movie, but already own the other and don't plan on buying it again."
or
"Yuck, those two movies deserve each other. No way, would I buy either."
Old 09-03-08, 07:57 AM
Banned

As long as they aren't flippers and contain all extras that were included in the individual release, I prefer the double features, mainly for shelf space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.