Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got off to a better start than last year. One late last night and one this morning before work. I should get at least one more in today, which is huge for me since I may miss several days later in the month.

Imagine my shock when I edited my list a bit ago and realized I unknowingly started with the SAME EXACT two movies as last year.

Last edited by Russell S; 10-01-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
For any Guillermo del Toro fans out there, I would suggest Cronos and The Devil's Backbone. They aren't purely Horror, but both excellent movies. I just watched them a couple months ago when I was watching everything Guillermo del Toro, so I won't be watching them for the challenge, but I wanted to pass along the suggestion to everyone.
I'm going to try and watch The Devil's Backbone this year. I've been trying to watch it for a few years (Robert Englund recommended it at a convention many years ago). I finally recorded it from On Demand last month so I can watch it during the challenge.
Old 10-01-08, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm up to 6 so far. 3 were wildcards since they were so short but I needed them for the checklist. Starting #7 now.

EDIT: I have a movie that is american but dubbed in russian. Can I count that as a secondary language or no (not that it matters but it would still be fun).
Old 10-01-08, 04:42 PM

Can an episode of Dexter count as a wildcard?
Old 10-01-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'm going to try and watch The Devil's Backbone this year. I've been trying to watch it for a few years (Robert Englund recommended it at a convention many years ago). I finally recorded it from On Demand last month so I can watch it during the challenge.
highly recommended...if you liked the orphanage or pan's labyrinth then you'll enjoy this just the same.
Old 10-01-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
highly recommended...if you liked the orphanage or pan's labyrinth then you'll enjoy this just the same.
I haven't seen either, but Pan's Labyrinth is on my list of "must see" movies. I may have briefly heard of The Orphanage, but know nothing about it. I'll check my library to see if they have either one.
Old 10-01-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by cysiam
Can an episode of Dexter count as a wildcard?
I was going to ask about this as well. In my opinion, it is more of a drama, but I would still just barely classify it as horror. I was planning on counting it as a wild card.
Old 10-01-08, 05:35 PM
Suspended

I watched I Walked With a Zombie last night and there is a film every bit as good as its reputation suggests. Poetic, dreary and chilling, a wonderful flick to catch this time of year.
Old 10-01-08, 05:46 PM

Seconded the recommendation of "The Devil's Backbone." That's a great movie.

We can count books for the challenge, right? Since I just spent all day reading one instead of watching movies?

I do recommend "Water Witch" by Deborah LeBlanc to anyone who wants a good read. It's gory and cool.
Old 10-01-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just finished watching the Alpha DVD of The Student of Prague and the quality was remarkably wretched, even by Alpha's low standards. As for the soundtrack, I've heard more variation in Philip Glass scores. Glad to have seen an important piece of film history however, and the 41 minute run time was a plus in this case.
Old 10-01-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kicking off the challenge right now with a personal favorite...

"Race with the Devil"
Old 10-01-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Got off to not quite as good a start as I wanted to last night, as I ended up finally falling asleep during my 2nd movie, hence I didnt even bother listing it as when I get around to watching it again, I will. Chiller did help me out some with their marathon today, as even though I was busy most of the day, did find time to catch Candyman 2, and Hellraiser III. Now time to settle down with my dvd player and catch one or two more flicks.
Old 10-01-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Kicking off the challenge right now with a personal favorite...

"Race with the Devil"
That one is a lot of fun, a textbook 70s drive-in movie. Oates and Fonda make a great team - you can tell they enjoy each other's company.
Old 10-01-08, 10:13 PM

I have a question. For the daily viewing. If I start it and it finished on the correct day, does that count? Not that I have a copy of Shadow of the vampire, not online, not at my video store and not online argh

Oh and would you consider "Igor" which is in theaters now a horror comedy for kids? ???

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 10-01-08 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 10:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just finished up day number one and so far I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a lot of fun. Wrapped things up with Killdozer, a long time favorite, and going to bed with happy thoughts of horrible things yet to come.
Old 10-01-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Last year I had a few movies I started in the morning and finished in the afternoon when I woke up (I work nights). As far as the 31 movies, it's a guide, but it's not binding. If you have to delay a movie a few days you can probably still count it (perhaps with an *?) towards the checklist, but definitely against your main list.

"Igor" counts. All Horror comedies count regardless of target audience.
Old 10-01-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does Vengeance Is Mine (1979) count? The one there's a Criterion of? If Silence of the Lambs and stuff like that counts, shouldn't that count too? What about Man Bites Dog?
Old 10-01-08, 11:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Vengeance is Mine. A Thriller with a Serial Killer. Close enough for hand grenades. In my book, it has to be pretty out there to not count. Thrillers are tough. A thriller like, say, The Bourne Identity wouldn't count whereas Se7en would. It has to at least have the flavor of Horror. Fatal Attraction, Hand that Rocks the Cradle type films would where Panic Room and Flightplan wouldn't. There has to be something sociopathic involved, I think.

Man Bites Dog, I think is close enough. It's disturbing and about spree killers.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-01-08 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I drove on a California freeway today. Does that count as a wildcard?
Old 10-01-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I drove on a California freeway today. Does that count as a wildcard?
I watched the Cubs game tonight, does that count?
Old 10-01-08, 11:34 PM

I was just wonder about guide lines. A film started on oct 1st but finished oct 2, counts for which day? I'm guessing the finished day? And thanks, maybe I'll watch igor now
Old 10-01-08, 11:37 PM

I watched 3 on day one (Baby Blues, Event Horizon and Severance) wish I coulda watched more, but between the fact that I'm still trying to get through Iron Man's 174 hours of bonus footage plus the Phillies game it's making it tough.

Oh, by the way. If we're playing the recommendation game. Baby Blues. A must see. It's "The Shining" meets "Inside". Hard to get through.
Old 10-01-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
I was just wonder about guide lines. A film started on oct 1st but finished oct 2, counts for which day? I'm guessing the finished day? And thanks, maybe I'll watch igor now
It counts on the day you finished it. Just pretend you started watching a movie on Halloween and didn't finish it until Nov. 1st. It wouldn't count. Also, as others said, the 31 movie list is ultimately up to you, but it was meant as a guideline for viewing and discussion purposes. I am only going to watch probably 6-7 of them, and I already know that I am busy some of those days, so I'll push them off a day or so, but I'll try to watch them in the vicinity of the day they were allotted for.

Edit: I may have made an incorrect note. Is there a rule that you can count a movie on Halloween as long as it was started before midnight?
Edit2: Just count them however you like. I'm still not sure about the unique situation of Halloween night, though.

Last edited by Numes; 10-02-08 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A question. A few pages ago someone mentioned a symbol to use in lieu of *, in reference to previously unseen films, and I was wondering if anyone remembered what it was.
Old 10-01-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
☼ ☼ ☼

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.