DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/538819-100-movies-31-days-4th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

Trevor 09-19-08 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8950352)
We need a Val Lewton in there - I Walked with a Zombie or Cat People. The original Haunting would be a solid choice too, or Eyes Without a Face.

I'm leaning towards Cat People. Any objections, thirds, or other suggestions?

Chad 09-19-08 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Looks like a great choice Chad. Very ashamed to admit that I've never seen it, or any Bava. I've only recently snapped out of modern age American centrism in my movies, but am slowly realizing that older and foreign films will soon dominate my favorite lists.

You're definitely in for a treat.

On the expanded checklist, I've been tweaking it to make it a little more organized and coherent. Also have re-shuffled the 31 days list slightly.

I updated the 2nd post with the checklist you had on post #217. But, where can I find the updated 31 Days list so I edit that one too and get it ready for the list thread?

BTW, the checklist looks better than ever this year. :up:

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Eyes Without a Face

That would get my nomination.

Trevor 09-19-08 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8950397)
You're definitely in for a treat.

Heads up everyone. DeepDiscount is having a B1G1F Anchor Bay Horror sale. I picked up both Bava sets for $30 total. Could have saved another few bucks if I had remembered to go thru live.

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8950397)
I updated the 2nd post with the checklist you had on post #217. But, where can I find the updated 31 Days list so I edit that one too and get it ready for the list thread?

BTW, the checklist looks better than ever this year. :up:

Thanks. Checklist and 31 Days posts are right next to each other on page 6. Post #216 and 217.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-19-08 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8950106)
am slowly realizing that older will soon dominate my favorite lists.

That was me about 4 or 5 years ago. I used my Tivo, searched for movies by the horror and sci-fi genre and recorded all the old movies that were shown on TCM and the Fox Movie Channel during the month of October and maybe September.

I recorded tons of stuff and most of it was really good.

Chad 09-19-08 06:12 PM

Heads up everyone. DeepDiscount is having a B1G1F Anchor Bay Horror sale. I picked up both Bava sets for $30 total. Could have saved another few bucks if I had remembered to go thru live.

Oh yeah, that went live today. Thankfully most of the titles I'm interested in are already in my collection. Otherwise, that would have been quite the wallet-draining event for me! :eek:

Also, don't forget Big Lots is an unexpected source for some good (and not so good) horror titles at $3 a pop:

Bubba Ho-Tep
Audrey Rose
The Woods (Essentially a Suspira ripoff, but still good ...and it has Bruce Campbell)
Anatomy 1 & 2
The Ghoul (Karloff)
The Mothman Prophecies

Several Midnite Movies:

Die, Monster, Die!
The Pit and the Pendulum (on the 31 days list)
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Dunwich Horror
Attack of the Puppet People
Konga
Burnt Offerings
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Frogs
...and more.

Of course, stock varies by location.

Chad 09-19-08 06:22 PM

If you're looking for a free 1 month Netflix trial this thread has them.

EDIT: Moved codes to the aforementioned thread.

wlverinefactor 09-19-08 09:09 PM

Hey guys, I just came back for this and see I need to pick a film. I'll get back to you in a few days.

Trevor 09-19-08 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor (Post 8950718)
Hey guys, I just came back for this and see I need to pick a film. I'll get back to you in a few days.

Make it quicker if possible, especially if it is somewhat obscure, as we all need time to buy/rent it. Thanks, and welcome back!

Dimension X 09-20-08 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8950087)
You may have noticed I've made my selection:

Black Sunday

Will it be okay if I watch John Frankenheimer's Black Sunday? I don't own the Bava one.

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8950352)
We need a Val Lewton in there - I Walked with a Zombie or Cat People. The original Haunting would be a solid choice too, or Eyes Without a Face.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8950392)

I've watched Cat People and Eyes Without a Face within the last twelve months, so I'll vote for either The Haunting or I Walked with a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8950434)

I'm tempted to do this, but I'm not sure I want to own all those Bava movies. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Trevor 09-20-08 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 8951050)
Will it be okay if I watch John Frankenheimer's Black Sunday? I don't own the Bava one.

You forgot the smiley for this joke. But sure, it will make the conversations the next morning quite confusing. :)

Totally different movie, and not horror, but a very good film, just watched it for the first time a couple months ago.

Shack 09-20-08 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8950392)

Definitely need a Val Lewton. Cat People is a good choice.

edwardnortonfan 09-20-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 8948375)
If you're going to watch an Uwe movie, watch "Seed" .. It's probably his best flick, it's a straight up "horror" movie, there's at least one good kill (a hammer is involved) and lots of footage of animals being mutilated.

..and "Postal" was fun. Just don't go in expecting it to be, ya'know, good.

I actually really liked Seed. I thought it was good. At least as good as most of the other horror flicks floating around there (I haven't seen much new and remarkable lately and Seed is right up there with the current wave of genre flicks).

late_but_earnest 09-20-08 06:18 PM

I think that I'm going to play this year.

I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks and will take around 6 weeks off for rehab.

The horror movie challenge will give me something to obsess about.

Hope I'm not disqualified because I don't have to go to work.

:)

Cardsfan111 09-20-08 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by late_but_earnest (Post 8952029)
I think that I'm going to play this year.

I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks and will take around 6 weeks off for rehab.

The horror movie challenge will give me something to obsess about.

Hope the surgery goes well. :up:

If I had any medical procedures to be performed, I'd be pushing for them in October as well. ;)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-20-08 06:50 PM

As long as you don't watch more than 5 a day, you'll be fine :) Any more and the lynch mobs will start looking for you.

If anyone has netflix, I recommend http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Merch...Death/70042353

You can also watch it instantly. I found it horribly good and it stars Clint Howard.

Chad 09-20-08 06:55 PM

We've experienced all walks of life - vacationers, part-timers, full-timers, in-between jobs, married w/children, working and attending class, business travelers, recovering from surgery (didn't think you were the first, did you?), single ...you name it. We even had a marriage take place during the challenge. You'll fit in just fine. :D

Dimension X 09-20-08 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8951107)
You forgot the smiley for this joke. But sure, it will make the conversations the next morning quite confusing. :)

Totally different movie, and not horror, but a very good film, just watched it for the first time a couple months ago.

You know, this gives me an idea: I wonder how many non-horror movies with horror movie titles I can include on the list without anyone noticing. :sarcasm: :) :D

wlverinefactor 09-20-08 07:26 PM

My picking is going to have to be "April Fools Day". The original 80's film and not the horrid 2008 remake. It's a personal favorite of mine and it's pretty easy to come by since my pick is so late coming in.

Cardsfan111 09-20-08 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor (Post 8952160)
My picking is going to have to be "April Fools Day". The original 80's film and not the horrid 2008 remake. It's a personal favorite of mine and it's pretty easy to come by since my pick is so late coming in.

I wish I had known about this earlier in the month when I passed on the April Fools Day/My Bloody Valentine double feature at Best Buy ($3.99). No biggie since it is easy to get a copy. :)

Darkgod 09-21-08 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 8952081)
As long as you don't watch more than 5 a day, you'll be fine :) Any more and the lynch mobs will start looking for you.

If anyone has netflix, I recommend http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Merch...Death/70042353

You can also watch it instantly. I found it horribly good and it stars Clint Howard.

Nah, 5 is no problem. it is when people get to 13+ when people start complaining.

Trevor 09-21-08 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 8952442)
I wish I had known about this earlier in the month when I passed on the April Fools Day/My Bloody Valentine double feature at Best Buy ($3.99). No biggie since it is easy to get a copy. :)

I admire your willpower. No way could I resist a sale like that. Unless I already owned them, and even then ...

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor (Post 8952160)

Great choice, but of course I just watched like a month ago :doh:

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 8952081)

5 a day is nothing. Actually, 5 of day is about what we all need to watch to hit 100 (given one day of rest per week). 10-15 is fine, unless it is every single day, then you start to question their sanity. :)

shadokitty 09-21-08 08:39 AM

I'm counting down the days for this, and even watched one of my horror dvds last night in anticipation. Will still watch it in the challenge as if I like a movie, I can watch it more than once. Curious, if a movie is a multi genre according to IMDB, then its good? I have a few movies that IMDB lists as either Action Horror, Romance Horror, or Comedy Horror.

Trevor 09-21-08 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 8952730)
Curious, if a movie is a multi genre according to IMDB, then its good?

Definitely.

Darth Maher 09-21-08 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8952092)
We've experienced all walks of life - vacationers, part-timers, full-timers, in-between jobs, married w/children, working and attending class, business travelers, recovering from surgery (didn't think you were the first, did you?), single ...you name it. We even had a marriage take place during the challenge. You'll fit in just fine. :D

Add "had a favorite baseball team make the playoffs" to that... :D

Darkgod 09-21-08 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8952092)

Yeah, during the reception they showed Night of the Living Dead so he could get a film in and check off his Bingo card.