DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/538819-100-movies-31-days-4th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

Trevor 09-22-08 02:28 PM

There is a thread about the Attack of the B Movies theater promotion in movie talk, but I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread.

Various National Amusements theater chains are doing this cool promotion every Thursday night, showing two old "B" movies, usually horror, thru October 30th. Only $5 gets you two DVD projected movies of awful goodness. The locations are very limited unfortunately. Here is the schedule.

Related, they are also having a "Quadruple Bypass" of four films on Halloween night for $12.

Picture quality isn't great, but not bad at all. Probably as good as any surviving prints of these old 50s and 60s films. I've been having an absolute blast at them each Thursday night.

Giles 09-22-08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8950087)

so.. do.. I

but at $260 - oh boy, I'll ask for it for my birthday.

this may have been answered, but what is Turner Classic Movies October's schedule of horror movies?

NoirFan 09-22-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8955275)
so.. do.. I

Hot damn, I'll wait for the paperback!

Giles 09-22-08 02:43 PM

Book Specifications:
Hardcover, clothbound, gold stamping on front and spine
Dimensions in inches: 10.85w x 11.87h x 2.63d
Dimensions in centimeters: 27.6w x 30.1h x 6.7d
Full-color french-fold laminated dust jacket
Full-color endpapers
1128 Glossy, full-color pages
Binding: stitched, extra-reinforced, roundback
12 lbs (5.45 kgs)
ISBN: 0-9633756-1-X

Chad 09-22-08 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so.. do.. I

I'm still kicking myself for not biting when it was at the $130 pre-order price. :doh:

Originally Posted by Giles
this may have been answered, but what is Turner Classic Movies October's schedule of horror movies?

Doesn't anyone ever read the first page?! :p ...

Turner Classic Movies ---> October 2008 Schedule of Qualifying Titles:

Code:

Disclaimer: Despite the fact the following list has been quadruple checked for eligible titles, the possibility always exists that something was overlooked. Chad, DVDTalk, its parent, affiliate, or subsidiary companies assume absolutely no responsibility for emotional damages caused by any such events.

Giles 09-22-08 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8955424)

Doesn't anyone ever read the first page?! :p ...

sorry... :foot:

thanks.

Trevor 09-22-08 03:51 PM

Tweaked the daily schedule. Moved Psycho to the day it is showing on TCM, and will do the same for Cat People or The Haunting if we end up voting for them.

Tweaked the checklist as well.

poster mayhem 09-22-08 04:21 PM

I'm putting my vote in for Cat People as well.

As much as I respect the Haunting and consider it a classic, somehow the list feels to me like it needs some Val Lewton.

Dimension X 09-22-08 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8955488)
    Tweaked the daily schedule. Moved Psycho to the day it is showing on TCM, and will do the same for Cat People or The Haunting if we end up voting for them.

Tweaked the checklist as well.

I guess you've forgotten that I requested the 25th (the anniversary of Vincent Price's death) for "Vincent Price Day." If my movie is going to be move to the 23rd, I'll pick another movie.

As for your film, I watched Cat People last year, so I'll vote for Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Edit: Just change my movie to The Body Snatcher. It's on TCM on the 23rd. I was planning on watching the DVD some time in October anyway.

I'll watch Vincent Price movies on the 25th like I planned. I probably won't watch Psycho in Oct. anyway since I caught most of it on TV a couple of months back.

Cardsfan111 09-22-08 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8954646)
    I really want Creature from the Black Lagoon on there, but understand that some of you think there is too much Universal stuff in the list already.

A Val Lewton would be appropriate, guess Cat People should get the nod there.

But Noirfan's suggestion of The Haunting is a good one too. Oh, and Poltergeist (thanks Darth).

Lots of other good classics and Lewtons I understand, but we have to settle this quickly, so how about some votes between those four only? Post here or PM/email me, Chad's vote will count as two, and I'll have this done tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

I vote for Creature from the Black Lagoon. Poltergeist would be my 2nd choice.

Trevor 09-22-08 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 8955651)
    I guess you've forgotten that I requested the 25th (the anniversary of Vincent Price's death) for "Vincent Price Day." If my movie is going to be move to the 23rd, I'll pick another movie.

As for your film, I watched Cat People last year, so I'll vote for Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Edit: Just change my movie to The Body Snatcher. It's on TCM that day. I was planning on watching the DVD some time in October anyway.

I'll watch Vincent Price movies on the 25th like I planned. I probably wasn't going to watch Psycho in Oct. anyway since I caught most of it on TV a couple of months back.

I decided that ease of watching for the masses is more important than my personal preference.

While I was all for a "Vincent Price Day", doesn't it make more sense to have a list movie on the day it is playing on TCM? Am I wrong?

I think it was better to have a Price movie on the list (who cares what day?), but I'll change your selection.

Dimension X 09-22-08 05:54 PM

Hell, just go ahead and make "my" movie Cat People. It's on at 1:45 am on the 23rd.

Now you can pick something else.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8955693)
    I think it was better to have a Price movie on the list (who cares what day?), but I'll change your selection.

Weren't you the one looking for "special" days (the full moon and so forth)?

edwardnortonfan 09-22-08 06:04 PM

I didn't think "Psycho" was too hard to find so I didn't see a need to schedule it for a day when it was on TCM. As much as I love TCM for showing horror movies, I hate watching movies with commercial breaks, so I never catch movies there.

Dimension X 09-22-08 06:12 PM

TCM shows movies uncut and commercial free.

edwardnortonfan 09-22-08 06:17 PM

Oh, I'm thinking of AMC. Ignore me.

Trevor 09-22-08 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 8955777)
    Hell, just go ahead and make "my" movie Cat People. It's on at 1:45 am on the 23rd.

Now you can pick something else.

Weren't you the one looking for "special" days (the full moon and so forth)?

Dude, I'm all for you picking whatever movie you want. Pick a Uwe Boll movie and I'll fully support you.

You all got a movie, not a day. We've been moving the days around all month.

Yes, I did go for special days, and loved your Vincent Price Day idea. But I saw that schedule again, and figured we'd make the sub-list more accessible for all the non-regulars if we put things on the day they are shown nationally. I was trying to ignore my wanting that movie to be on that particular day to help everyone else. But as always, I'm open to arguments and admitting that I'm totally wrong.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, we all want everyone's choice to be the movie they want to watch and discuss with the group. It is completely their movie and they can choose anything they want. It could even be something that would only count as a wildcard as far as I'm concerned. Ignore the day, the days may move. But pick something that you want 100%, ignore what the rest of us want.

Giles 09-22-08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 8955826)
    TCM shows movies uncut and commercial free.

and in their correct aspect ratio

poster mayhem 09-22-08 07:55 PM

I understand both the argument for showing films when most convenient and for honoring the anniversary of Vincent Price's death.

I'm actually leaning more towards the anniversary than the convenience, this is a challenge after all...

Dimension X 09-22-08 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 8956003)
    Yes, I did go for special days, and loved your Vincent Price Day idea. But I saw that schedule again, and figured we'd make the sub-list more accessible for all the non-regulars if we put things on the day they are shown nationally. I was trying to ignore my wanting that movie to be on that particular day to help everyone else. But as always, I'm open to arguments and admitting that I'm totally wrong.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, we all want everyone's choice to be the movie they want to watch and discuss with the group. It is completely their movie and they can choose anything they want. It could even be something that would only count as a wildcard as far as I'm concerned. Ignore the day, the days may move. But pick something that you want 100%, ignore what the rest of us want.

If you want the movies to be "easy to watch," Cat People is airing on TCM on the 23rd. I won't be watching it, but I wasn't planning on watching all the movies on the list anyway. So that's just one less movie I'll feel obligated to watch on a specific day. :shrug:

Shack 09-23-08 08:12 AM

Actually Cat People is on the public domain sites, so it's easy to watch whenever anyone wants. Accessibility is not an issue for this one.

Chad 09-23-08 02:36 PM

So, how's the '82 version of Cat People with Nastassja Kinski (extremely hot in "To the Devil a Daughter"!) anyway? I love the original and I'm sure it's superior in every way, but is the remake at least worth a rental?

Chad 09-23-08 02:49 PM

Vote for you favorite commentary option:
    1. Half credit option. Allow commentaries only after one has viewed the film with the proper soundtrack. If you do choose to go back and listen w/commentary it's worth half a credit/point.
      <br>
    2. 7 commentary limit. Self explanatory.
      <br>
    3. The "with or without" option. Same as last year.

^Now's the time to vote if you haven't already done so. It's been up just over 3 weeks now, therefore I'm taking this baby down and tabulating the votes from both threads ...tomorrow!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-23-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8957811)
    So, how's the '82 version of Cat People with Nastassja Kinski (extremely hot in "To the Devil a Daughter"!) anyway? I love the original and I'm sure it's superior in every way, but is the remake at least worth a rental?

It was something they used to show on USA as one of the last movies of the night, back when they used to show horror/cult movies on Friday and Saturday nights during "Up All Night"

onebyone 09-23-08 04:10 PM

I am going to be in for the 100. Probably way too late for me to vote for the commentary, but I would go for The "with or without" option because I just don't care what anyone wants to count.

acdcrocks1980 09-23-08 04:34 PM

"Half Credit" for commentaries, unless with "With or Without" No commentary counts as 1, and the same movie with a commentary counts as 1 also, so that would count as 2 movies.