Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
even though i'm not doing it...we really need that list to be complete soon so people can place orders online or get their netflix queue in order.
Agreed. If ViewAskewbian and wlverinefactor don't check in with Trevor in the next day or two, he should reassign their spots to someone else (or Trevor could just pick the films for those days since it's his baby).
Old 09-17-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can we substitute a film with Uli Lommel instead of "by" Uli Lommel? TENDERNESS OF THE WOLVES is pretty good.
Old 09-17-08, 07:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Can we substitute a film with Uli Lommel instead of "by" Uli Lommel? TENDERNESS OF THE WOLVES is pretty good.
I think the point is that it has to be a bad film. Not just bad, but gut wrenchingly bad. So bad that you're ashamed to watch it. So bad that you send the family away, close the blinds, turn off your wireless network just in case someone is snooping, don't eat for hours beforehand because it may make you vomit, so bad that even contemplating watching it makes you want to rip up the entire checklist and go do something else.
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
I think the point is that it has to be a bad film. Not just bad, but gut wrenchingly bad. So bad that you're ashamed to watch it. So bad that you send the family away, close the blinds, turn off your wireless network just in case someone is snooping, don't eat for hours beforehand because it may make you vomit, so bad that even contemplating watching it makes you want to rip up the entire checklist and go do something else.
Andy Milligan it is then! Though I think that Vapors is some sort of masterpiece.
Old 09-17-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Andy Milligan it is then!

Though I think that Vapors is some sort of masterpiece.
The only movies of his I've seen are The Body Beneath (watched it during the '06 challenge), The Ghastly Ones , and Seeds of Sin.

I'd love to see The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! The title alone makes me want to see it, but I've seen the trailer several times and it doesn't look that bad.

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-17-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The only movies of his I've seen are The Body Beneath (watched it during the '06 challenge), The Ghastly Ones , and Seeds of Sin.
If you're in an open minded mood, you should really check out Vapors, it's on the DVD of The Body Beneath. It's not a horror film at all, just a short, rather unsettling piece of underground cinema about the goings on at a gay bathhouse in the 1960's.

I'd love to see The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! I've seen the trailer several times, and that title never fails to crack me up.
Fantastic title! "I've got some bad news, and some worse news....." I highly recommend Jimmy McDonough's superb Milligan biography, The Ghastly Ones: The Sex-Gore Netherworld of Filmmaker Andy Miligan. It's a funny, sad, moving book that is as much about the sordid world of Times Square as it as about Milligan's films. A really fascinating read, easily worth the $5.09 it costs on Amazon.
Old 09-17-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're in an open minded mood, you should really check out Vapors, it's on the DVD of The Body Beneath. It's not a horror film at all, just a short, rather unsettling piece of underground cinema about the goings on at a gay bathhouse in the 1960's.
Thanks. I just grabbed my copy of The Body Beneath and sure enough there it is.

I guess I skipped it thinking I'd go back and watch it after the horror challenge and forgot all about it. I'll check it out.
Old 09-17-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
In the other thread I asked people to vote for one of five Vincent Price films, and The Pit and the Pendulum won.
Just got my copy. I'm all ready to go on this one, as well as many of the others on the list. Now finding the time to watch these all and keep up with the list... now therein lies the "challenge".

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-17-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
And regarding the checklist, how about adding:

--- "Giallo" under horror subgenres

--- Watch an anthology film
Done, along with Japanese horror.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Trevor, how about adding "killer/evil child" to the checklist under the subgenre heading?
Done. Meant to do that last year, think you mentioned it then, sorry.
Old 09-17-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trevor, how about adding "killer/evil child" to the checklist under the subgenre heading?
Bloody Birthday!
Old 09-18-08, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to check "Bloody Birthday" out! They used to have it at my old run down video store, but no more, and I missed my chance to see it. But then, I've wanted to see "The Ghastly Ones" for years, too. Is it really that bad?

I don't remember what I watched last year when I decided to unofficially add "evil/killer child" to my list, but I love horror movies with evil kids...I love kids, but they freak me out sometimes. My friend's son is adorable, but sometimes he does this evil, wicked laugh and it gives me chills. Secretly, I think he is hellspawn.
Old 09-18-08, 08:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
double bill that with It Came from the Pink Lagoon - which is a riot btw.
Old 09-18-08, 08:41 AM

This is how Lommel's Black Dahlia made me feel. That and this horrid little piece of trash called "Dark Fields." Halfway through, I screamed for someone to take it out because I couldn't stand it anymore, and this is coming from someone who watched and enjoyed "Avia: Vampire Hunter" all the4 way through, so it's saying something when even I can't finish a movie.
Old 09-18-08, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but the thing with Uwe Bolls movie's is that he knows how to pace a movie, no matter how bad it is, their's always something going on, nudity, violence, an attempt at humour. He knows how to milk a film for what's it's worth, 'House of the Dead' if viewed as a comedy, works, 'Bloodrayne' in unrated form is just over the top and features an ending that defies description: highlights all the gore.
Old 09-18-08, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
but the thing with Uwe Bolls movie's is that he knows how to pace a movie, no matter how bad it is, their's always something going on, nudity, violence, an attempt at humour. He knows how to milk a film for what's it's worth, 'House of the Dead' if viewed as a comedy, works, 'Bloodrayne' in unrated form is just over the top and features an ending that defies description: highlights all the gore.
I didn't mind House of the Dead, at east not as much as most people seemed to, and I liked BloodRayne.
Old 09-18-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
double bill that with It Came from the Pink Lagoon - which is a riot btw.
Triple bill it with the gay biker flick Pink Angels. Hell, throw on Pink Narcissus and make an utterly fabulous night of it.
Old 09-18-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't mind House of the Dead, at east not as much as most people seemed to, and I liked BloodRayne.
I've hear people say Postal wasn't that bad, for what it is.
Old 09-18-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're going to watch an Uwe movie, watch "Seed" .. It's probably his best flick, it's a straight up "horror" movie, there's at least one good kill (a hammer is involved) and lots of footage of animals being mutilated.

..and "Postal" was fun. Just don't go in expecting it to be, ya'know, good.
Old 09-18-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
I'm in

Ok, been doing this the last few years. I'm in again. While I'd love to hit the 100 mark, I don't see it happening, so I'll just set my personal goal at 31. I figure one a day I can do, and if I surpass it, all the better. DVDs, Sci Fi, and Chiller should all help me out.
Old 09-18-08, 10:16 PM

1st post. 1st time particpating.

Count me in.

HORROR IS ME.

My GOAL: 20-30
Old 09-18-08, 10:45 PM

Welcome to the forum DeathDealer476, and to the challenge. Interesting sig. Usually when I see people praising QT that much, they are the type of people who wouldn't watch a film from the other directors you list. Good list, I like eclectic.
Old 09-19-08, 09:17 AM

Agreed. If ViewAskewbian and wlverinefactor don't check in with Trevor in the next day or two, he should reassign their spots to someone else (or Trevor could just pick the films for those days since it's his baby).
Both appear to still be active in the forum, but I don't think either has posted in this thread. They've ignored two PMs each, so maybe we need to move on without them.

My personal thoughts, since this is the first year of this optional subset, is to stick to the "classic" theme. In later years, if this continues, we could have different themes, all-time favorites, or whatever. So I'm leaning towards putting another Universal Horror (sorry) like Creature from the Black Lagoon and/or The Invisible Man. I'm sure I'm forgetting some "classics" though, so please suggest away.
Old 09-19-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
You may have noticed I've made my selection:

Black Sunday

So, I'm running a 10-miler last night for relaxation purposes (and prepare for a 10K) and literally hundred of horror titles were going through my head. Everything from Fulci to Argento to Deodata to Miike to Polanski to Dreyer to Del Toro to Naschy, etc. Anyway, it always came back to Bava ...specifically Black Sunday. And the funny thing is, that was my first choice back when Trevor first brought this whole thing up. I was originally intending on going with something a little less mainstream and more on the obscure side. But, just like Tom Savini said - "Black Sunday is the Citizen Kane of horror films." and gutwrencher, if he were here, would agree with that sentiment. Can't argue with that, right?

I really want this book, BTW:

Sorry for the holdup. Hope no one blew a gasket.
Old 09-19-08, 02:32 PM

Looks like a great choice Chad. Very ashamed to admit that I've never seen it, or any Bava. I've only recently snapped out of modern age American centrism in my movies, but am slowly realizing that older and foreign films will soon dominate my favorite lists.

On the expanded checklist, I've been tweaking it to make it a little more organized and coherent. Also have re-shuffled the 31 days list slightly.
Old 09-19-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure I'm forgetting some "classics" though, so please suggest away.
We need a Val Lewton in there - I Walked with a Zombie or Cat People. The original Haunting would be a solid choice too, or Eyes Without a Face.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.