Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Unwatched Movie Pile: September 08

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unwatched Movie Pile: September 08

Old 09-30-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I was wondering... with DVDSpot shutting down, what will happen with these "Unwatched" threads?
Old 09-30-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I was wondering... with DVDSpot shutting down, what will happen with these "Unwatched" threads?
Why assume that most people keep track of their unwatched movies on DVDSpot? I don't. DVDProfiler/excel for me.
Old 09-30-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not "most", but a large portion does use (used) DVDSpot.
Old 09-30-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Not "most", but a large portion does use (used) DVDSpot.
True. I thought you were implying that there was no use for the unwatched threads anymore since DVDSpot was going down. I think I misinterpreted your post. I think what you meant is if people who use DVDSpot to track their unwatched titles will continue to post to the unwatched threads. Correct?

Last edited by Numes; 09-30-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Correct. I had all my Unwatched DVDs set to a filter to keep track of them. As I watched them, I uncheck that particular filter.

I haven't used DVD Profiler in a long while, so I can't remember if they have such a feature.
Old 09-30-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts
I'll continue to utilize the unwatched movie pile threads...it's kept me focused on trying to get ahead. I am one that kept track of things through dvdspot, so I'm on the lookout for an alternative option.
Old 09-30-08, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd profiler is good, and dvdaf is good also.
Old 09-30-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a fairly elaborate spreadsheet that automatically looks up the titles from the excel export from DVDProfiler and fills in some unique information that I keep on every DVD.

However, I just looked into DVDProfiler and there looks to be a pretty decent way to filter your watched/unwatched titles.

For each title, you can flag it as watched, you can say who watched, and when that person watched it. If you view the title on another occasion, you can flag it again and it will say that you watched it twice (or whatever.) You can then easily filter your list on unwatched movies. I figured it out in about 30 seconds, looks pretty handy.

Last edited by Numes; 09-30-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'll continue to utilize the unwatched movie pile threads...it's kept me focused on trying to get ahead. I am one that kept track of things through dvdspot, so I'm on the lookout for an alternative option.
Someone suggested a linux program in the thread. Forgot the name but there's that free one. If you don't have a spare machine, you could always install it in a vmware virtual machine.

I use Movie Collector which has been good to me even though one of the guys that makes it is insane. He's a big baby that "knows" more about what customers want than what the customer thinks they want. Other than that he lives in his own fantasy world but I like the product

I've mostly stayed with an offline based collection. While it's cool to have all the collections connected through an online one and be able to see all sort of stuff, it's online and if it goes down or changes to something you don't like, you pretty much get screwed.

At least if the software takes to a new and worse direction, you can always just stay with an earlier version.
Old 09-30-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What would be nice is a site like DVD Spot that was free online but you could pay extra for software to also keep an offline collection. It would also have the ability to sync up, so if you made a change to the online collection, you could update it to the offline and also be able to sync the other way.

edit: Unless you could already do this in the first place, then just shoot me. It's 90 degrees in this room right now.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 09-30-08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Yes, DVDProfiler has a "viewed" option. It also has "borrowed." When I watch a title, I mark it as both "viewed" and "borrowed" (I very rarely loan out DVDs so I don't need to use the borrowed for actual borrowed). The reason I use Borrowed is that (at least with the previous version), exporting to csv or .xls, didn't export the "viewed" status, but it did export "borrowed". So that was my flag if I exported it.
I am actually surprised so many people use the online-only options like DVDAf and DVDSpot. The only thing I don't like about DVDPro (apart from the fact that it cost money, but it's well worth it to me) is that it seems to be pretty resource heavy. I have one PC, so I only need access to my detailed database in one place, and the information stored offline is good enough for my purposes (either "do I have this title"?" or "want me to bring some DVDs? here's the list").
Old 09-30-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mister Peepers - I know the Halloween Movie Challenge is only a few hours away, but don't forget to make the October thread!
Old 10-01-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Should've done it last night.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/54...ober-08-a.html