Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Murnau and Borzage Box Set from Fox: 12/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 04:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want SUNRISE. I've been wanting it forever, but so far it's only been available in the Fox "Best Picture Collection", and now they put it in this huge set.

Is a solo release too much to ask??
Old 11-14-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Masters of Cinema (R2) has an excellent solo edition.

And I have seen the Best Picture Collection for $12-15 before... so, what's the hold up again? The other three films in the set are also very good.
Old 11-14-08, 10:26 AM

$12-$15? really? where?
wow, I've only seen $25 and up. I'd buy it at $15 and just sell/trade the rest if I didn't want them.

...and I only have R1 player

EDIT: I guess I hadn't checked prices in quite a while! After reading your post, I looked around and DD has it right now for $18.87, so with the 25% off, it'll only cost me $14.17 with free shipping! Thanks for spurring me to take another look!

Last edited by cinemaphile; 11-14-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Variety article on the set. Looks like Fox is making a serious commitment to their early catalog.
Old 12-05-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Beaver review of the set.
NOTE: Sunrise may very well be a new transfer (it has 2008 dated VOB files) and without extensive comparison looks like it might be superior to the 2003 release compared to UK editions.
This is the leading contender for release of the year, I just wish it was available at a reasonable discount. DVD Planet's price is now up to $187.15!
Old 01-26-09, 01:44 PM

Re: Murnau and Borzage Box Set from Fox: 12/9/08

Originally Posted by indy81
There are some great films here, but that price is pretty shocking. Ten films compared to 24 on the Ford set, and it costs nearly as much. Did Fox get greedy when the Ford box was a big seller? You've got to think this set will have even more of a niche appeal. I'm sure the packaging will be beautiful, but I hope Fox provides a cheaper alternative like they did with the Ford films.

Were the ones in the Ford collection made available individually?

I'm talking about the collection that included "The Informer" and "Mary of Scotland".

I am probably the only person here who likes "Mary of Scotland", but I think it's a very underrated film. It's not Ford's fault that Maxwell Anderson (the author of the play) wrote in blank verse.

Last edited by dvdmusicalfan; 01-26-09 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-26-09, 02:36 PM

Re: Murnau and Borzage Box Set from Fox: 12/9/08

Originally Posted by dvdmusicalfan
Were the ones in the Ford collection made available individually?

I'm talking about the collection that included "The Informer" and "Mary of Scotland".

I am probably the only person here who likes "Mary of Scotland", but I think it's a very underrated film. It's not Ford's fault that Maxwell Anderson (the author of the play) wrote in blank verse.
The collection that includes The Informer and Mary of Scotland was released by Warner Bros. They have not been released separately.

Most of the titles in the Ford at Fox box were released individually, as double features, or as part of three smaller sets (John Ford's Silent Epics, The Essential John Ford Collection, and John Ford's American Comedies.) There are a few films, like Tobacco Road, that are only available in the large Ford at Fox set. Here is a breakdown of the availability of the Ford at Fox titles.