Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Bros & DTS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warner Bros & DTS...

Can someone explain to me why Warner Bros keep wasting valuable disc space with all these different language soundtracks and subtitles, instead of adding a DTS soundtrack to their DVD releases. They're even screwing up their Blu-Ray releases. I was hoping that all my favorite WB movies that were released on DVD without DTS would get a DTS release on Blu-Ray...GUESS NOT!!!

WB Sucks.
Old 08-12-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chukkie26
Can someone explain to me why Warner Bros keep wasting valuable disc space with all these different language soundtracks and subtitles, instead of adding a DTS soundtrack to their DVD releases. They're even screwing up their Blu-Ray releases. I was hoping that all my favorite WB movies that were released on DVD without DTS would get a DTS release on Blu-Ray...GUESS NOT!!!

WB Sucks.
Rather simple. More language tracks mean making a title available to a wider amount of customers.

While I sympathize with your gripe, Warner has never been a huge supporter of DTS. IIRC they released a select few titles to test the waters for DTS a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth the additional cost (Interview with the Vampire SE, Twister SE).
Old 08-12-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
IIRC they released a select few titles to test the waters for DTS a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth the additional cost (Interview with the Vampire SE, Twister SE).
It made little sense to feature DTS on the Batman Anthology, but not on Batman Begins, all of which were released on DVD the same day in October 2005.
Old 08-12-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd have thought for stuff like The Matrix films, DTS would have been a common sense decision.
Old 08-12-08, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It made little sense to feature DTS on the Batman Anthology, but not on Batman Begins, all of which were released on DVD the same day in October 2005.
I think as mentioned having multiple language tracks makes it easier to appeal to a larger audience/need to press fewer DVDs. So as an initial release having the multiple languages makes more sense, and then for the special release focusing on the audio makes perfect sense IMHO.
Old 08-12-08, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
I think as mentioned having multiple language tracks makes it easier to appeal to a larger audience/need to press fewer DVDs. So as an initial release having the multiple languages makes more sense, and then for the special release focusing on the audio makes perfect sense IMHO.
But in the case of Batman Begins, it was only english and french 5.1, no 2.0 stereo, no commentary, nothing else.

But whatever, I think Begins sounds fantastic the way it is. It just made little sense to me.
Old 08-13-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I can only think of a couple of WB titles I own that have DTS tracks. It's a shame they didn't try to include more on their SE's. They have such a vast library of titles there are many films that could have benefitted from a DTS track. Hopefully they'll start to get with it with BR.
Old 08-13-08, 10:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I can only think of a couple of WB titles I own that have DTS tracks. It's a shame they didn't try to include more on their SE's. They have such a vast library of titles there are many films that could have benefitted from a DTS track. Hopefully they'll start to get with it with BR.
they wont, Warner's are hypocrites when it comes to releasing and not releasing blurays with lossless audio.
Old 11-08-09, 02:25 AM

Re: Warner Bros & DTS...

Batman Anthology BD - No DTS
Lethal Weapon Collection - No DTS
Matrix Trilogy - No DTS
Troy - No DTS
...and the list goes on and on.

THAT'S IT!!!
I'm boycotting WB until they pull their head out of their a$$ and start adding DTS-HD soundtracks to their BD releases. Who's with me?
Old 11-08-09, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Warner actually did use DTS-HD MA on Watchmen and maybe some other titles recently. I don't know if they'll switch entirely though.

That said, DTS really doesn't have the same appeal when it comes to BD. Dolby TrueHD and PCM are lossless just like DTS-HD MA, and they should sound the same, all things being equal. However, it would matter if your equipment doesn't support lossless (like if you don't have an HDMI receiver).
Old 11-08-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Batman Anthology BD - No DTS

I'm boycotting WB until they pull their head out of their a$$ and start adding DTS-HD soundtracks to their BD releases.
Yeah, I don't think you quite understand the whole concept of lossless audio when it comes to Blu-ray Discs....
Here is a quick summary:
DTS-HD MA = Dolby TrueHD = PCM
Who cares if Warner uses DTS specifically or not....as long as they use one of the three lossless options for the soundtrack then it makes no difference which codec is chosen....oh noes, Batman Anthology did not get a DTS-HD MA soundtrack?? It doesn't matter since it DID get Dolby TrueHD, which produces the exact same end result....
Old 11-08-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Terminator Salvation bluray is going to have a dts-ma track on it, dvdempire has the back cover art up and its posted on it having a dts-ma track.
Old 11-08-09, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Terminator Salvation bluray is going to have a dts-ma track on it, dvdempire has the back cover art up and its posted on it having a dts-ma track.
All Warner titles that use that 'Maximum' PiP mode will have DTS. It's just easier for them (technically).
Old 11-09-09, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Yeah, I don't think you quite understand the whole concept of lossless audio when it comes to Blu-ray Discs....
Here is a quick summary:
DTS-HD MA = Dolby TrueHD = PCM
Who cares if Warner uses DTS specifically or not....as long as they use one of the three lossless options for the soundtrack then it makes no difference which codec is chosen....oh noes, Batman Anthology did not get a DTS-HD MA soundtrack?? It doesn't matter since it DID get Dolby TrueHD, which produces the exact same end result....
JEEZ, for someone who thinks this is a useless post...you sure keep wasting your time to prove something!!!

Must be one of those "DTS Haters".
Old 11-09-09, 02:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

But he's right. When it comes to Blu-ray, the old DVD argument over which is better, DTS or DD, is moot. Both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and Linear PCM are identical in result. It's like arguing which is better, ZIP or RAR. As long as the file being compressed can be decompressed without loss, then it doesn't matter.
Old 11-09-09, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
But he's right. When it comes to Blu-ray, the old DVD argument over which is better, DTS or DD, is moot. Both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and Linear PCM are identical in result. It's like arguing which is better, ZIP or RAR. As long as the file being compressed can be decompressed without loss, then it doesn't matter.
That's great, I understand that now and I appreciate yours and part of his answer...just didn't need his belittlement and sarcasm.
Old 11-10-09, 11:45 AM

That's great, I understand that now and I appreciate yours and part of his answer...just didn't need his belittlement and sarcasm.
just who is belittling who here?

JEEZ, for someone who thinks this is a useless post...you sure keep wasting your time to prove something!!!

Must be one of those "DTS Haters".
DTS haters?