Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Night Gallery Season 2 with Guillermo Del Toro commentary

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Gallery Season 2 with Guillermo Del Toro commentary

November 18, unlike season 1 this one has some good extras.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Night-G...2-Extras/10246
Old 08-07-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see this is coming out... after 4 years, I was beginning to think that Universal wasn't going to keep going with these.
Old 08-07-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Excellent. I'm glad to see some good extras on this one.

Last edited by Neil M.; 08-07-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 10:46 AM
Banned

What does this bring the total episode count to? How many are left? I'm looking for a Complete Series release. Hopefully one half as good as The Twilight Zone. Maybe they'll go back and add some extras for season one in the Complete Series...?
Old 08-07-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 738 Likes on 602 Posts
Night Gallery had 3 seasons according to tv.com

I hope this set is around $25 or less
Old 08-07-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy cow! 6 Guillermo Del Toro commentaries?!? I will get this just for those.

Dumb question - What's the difference between a podcast commentary and an audio commentary? Does it have video?
Old 08-07-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I never got the 1st season, but I will more than likely try to snag them both once this one comes out. I'd like to see S3 come out and the only way that'll happen anytime soon is if people buy S2.
Old 08-07-08, 05:48 PM

Great, now what about AMAZING STORIES S2?

Is that coming...ever?
Old 08-07-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Holy cow! 6 Guillermo Del Toro commentaries?!? I will get this just for those.

Dumb question - What's the difference between a podcast commentary and an audio commentary? Does it have video?
Why is a Guillermo Del Toro commentary desirable?
Old 08-07-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Why is a Guillermo Del Toro commentary desirable?
He does some of the best commentaries I have ever heard (and I have heard a lot.) They are insightful, informative, and funny all at the same time. There is no dead time in the commentary at all. He is ridiculously smart, but he doesn't come across as a know-it-all. It's almost like you're just sitting down listening to your buddy just tell you everything he knows about a subject. In addition, his commentaries are very structured and he very rarely strays away unless he meant to. The structure isn't forced, though, it's as if he has it all mapped out in his head before hand.

Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed about how much I miss upon first viewing from the movies he's done.

Last edited by Numes; 08-07-08 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm there.
Old 08-07-08, 10:13 PM

A look at the artwork -

Old 08-07-08, 10:23 PM

robsul82, can you please not steal TVShowsOnDVD's bandwidth? Just post a link, rather than suck the artwork off of our servers. Thanks,
Old 08-07-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He does some of the best commentaries I have ever heard (and I have heard a lot.) They are insightful, informative, and funny all at the same time. There is no dead time in the commentary at all. He is ridiculously smart, but he doesn't come across as a know-it-all. It's almost like you're just sitting down listening to your buddy just tell you everything he knows about a subject. In addition, his commentaries are very structured and he very rarely strays away unless he meant to. The structure isn't forced, though, it's as if he has it all mapped out in his head before hand.

Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed about how much I miss upon first viewing from the movies he's done.
Ah, he's simply a "rent a friend" for watching films alone.

I really don't want to hear from some "ridiculously smart" guy who had nothing to do with the production of the video being commented on. But I'm funny like that.

Glad to hear that others are jazzed about it... I'm just happy to get season 2.
Old 08-08-08, 08:40 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
This is great news -- glad to see this finally come out.
Old 08-08-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dman988
Great, now what about AMAZING STORIES S2?

Is that coming...ever?
That was my exactly thought... so I looked up release dates. It's been 4 years since the first Night Gallery game out. And "only" 2 years since Amazing Stories. So there's still hope...
Old 08-08-08, 10:27 AM

Totally thought this was Night Court. The del Toro commentary confused me. Night Gallery makes so much more sense.
Old 08-08-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Ah, he's simply a "rent a friend" for watching films alone.

I really don't want to hear from some "ridiculously smart" guy who had nothing to do with the production of the video being commented on. But I'm funny like that.

Glad to hear that others are jazzed about it... I'm just happy to get season 2.
I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. Although I have (obviously) not heard his commentaries on this title yet, you should give it a shot. I guarantee that his commentaries on Night Gallery will be more informative and interesting than most of the commentaries out there with personnel from production. I think arbitrarily dismissing commentaries because they weren't part of the production is a little short-sighted. There are a many many excellent commentaries out from film historians and others like that. Roger Ebert's Dark City commentary comes to mind. Excellent commentary.

If you have any of the following movies, check out his commentary: Blade II, Cronos, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Devil's Backbone. First and foremost, they are also excellent movies.
Old 08-08-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. Although I have (obviously) not heard his commentaries on this title yet, you should give it a shot. I guarantee that his commentaries on Night Gallery will be more informative and interesting than most of the commentaries out there with personnel from production. I think arbitrarily dismissing commentaries because they weren't part of the production is a little short-sighted. There are a many many excellent commentaries out from film historians and others like that. Roger Ebert's Dark City commentary comes to mind. Excellent commentary.
While I too enjoy listening to film historians from time to time, that is not the reason why I listen to commentaries. I listen to them to get insight into the how, what, why, and who behind the TV show or film by those who were involved.

Listening to a commentator who read something somewhere or spoke to someone who saw the film isn't worth my time.
Old 08-08-08, 08:01 PM

This is great news. Season 2 really has quite a bunch of the best episodes for the entire series. There were 63 separate stories (of varying lengths) in season 2 and this is when the series hit its peak, at least for me. I thought Universal gave up on this so I'm thrilled to see it coming out.

Hopefully, Season 3 will not be far behind (with its measly 19 stories). Maybe they'll include the re-edited SIXTH SENSE tv-episodes with the newly shot Rod Serling wraparounds that were created for syndication if they end up releasing season 3. I'd at least like the Serling wraparounds, if not the entire SIXTH SENSE re-edit shows.

In any event, I'm just thrilled season 2 is finally coming out.
Old 08-09-08, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine
In any event, I'm just thrilled season 2 is finally coming out.
Same here. The "bonus episodes" on the S1 set gave me the impression that Universal had no intention of following up with further seasons.
Old 08-09-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should have put some scary images along with Serling on the cover

The opening for Night Gallery has to be one of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

Anyone remember Joanna Pettet?

I think she did 2 Night Gallery shows and she was a hottie.
Old 08-18-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Revised artwork, they used the painting from the episode "Deliveries in the Rear" instead of the hallway behind Rod Serling. A great improvement.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Nig...-box-art/10339
Old 11-12-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got this yesterday. Good package, the documentary runs about 30 minutes there's a featurette on every painting done for the episodes with comments by the artist. Some great actors here, Ray Milland, Vincent Price, Cornel Wilde, Edgar G. Robinson, Joel Gray, John Saxon, Cameron Mitchell, and Orson Welles narrates an episode. Watched 'Sins of the Fathers" last night (the sin eaters epiosde) with Geraldine Page, Michael Dunn, Alan Napier, Richard Thomas and Barbara Steele!
Old 03-21-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Night Gallery Season 2 with Guillermo Del Toro commentary

I hope the price drops to $30 or less since it is still kind of expensive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.