Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD stops for a second

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD stops for a second

I have several dvds that stop for a split second while I am watching the movie. Gangs of New York, Dexter, etc. Maybe dust? I rewind and it is still there . I check disc no signs of scratchs. Does anyone else have same problem?
Old 07-30-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's called a layer change most likely -- if it's just for a split second it's totally normal:

"Some movies, especially those over two hours long or encoded at a high data
rate, are spread across two layers on one side of the disc. When the player
changes to the second layer, the video and audio may freeze for a moment.
The length of the pause depends on the player and on the layout of the
disc. The pause is not a defect in the player or the disc."
Old 07-30-08, 04:42 PM

I have the same problems with a few of my DVDs but yes as Sierra said it is just a layer change/trigger. Not necessarily a problem with the DVDs themselves being scratched or what not.
Old 07-30-08, 04:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
whenever they stop for the split second, i finish the movie, throw them out and buy them again. don't revist them till years later so couldn't tell you if the problems still exist, but the stutter is highly annoying...not to mention when i have those stupid black bars on the top AND bottom of the screen!
Old 07-30-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
whenever they stop for the split second, i finish the movie, throw them out and buy them again. don't revist them till years later so couldn't tell you if the problems still exist, but the stutter is highly annoying...not to mention when i have those stupid black bars on the top AND bottom of the screen!
You know what's cool? When some new member comes in with a question that needs answering and someone gives a smart-ass response. It's very welcoming. Something totally obvious to you might not be to everyone, just like I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of stuff out there you know nothing about as well.
Old 07-30-08, 08:46 PM

I've found a few discs where the layer change is made at a chapter change, so you don't even notice it. Of course, I can't name one off the top of my head right now!

--John
Old 07-31-08, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I do wish layer changes were more strategically placed in the movie as to be less noticeable. I know some players have a buffer than can all but eliminate the pause, but unfortunately my HD-03 does not.
Old 07-31-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
You know what's cool? When some new member comes in with a question that needs answering and someone gives a smart-ass response. It's very welcoming. Something totally obvious to you might not be to everyone, just like I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of stuff out there you know nothing about as well.
word

Brartook:
I don't even notice the layer changes anymore, and I'm sure you'll eventually be the same.

Some players are more finnicky than others with the layer change, but it's just one of those things you learn to live with.......

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-31-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brartook
I have several dvds that stop for a split second while I am watching the movie. Gangs of New York, Dexter, etc. Maybe dust? I rewind and it is still there . I check disc no signs of scratchs. Does anyone else have same problem?
I freaked out when I first noticed it started doing that. It's definitely a layer change. Usually they are put at a part where it's less noticeable, but you still can see it freeze for that second. It really varies from player to player of if you're going to see the change or not, so don't go buying a new DVD player or anything.

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Welcome aboard!
x2
Old 07-31-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
If they movie is close to 2 hrs, it's almost like a "halftime" reminder
Old 07-31-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Or for those of us with involuntary blader release it's a reminder to take a pee break.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 07-31-08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't stand layer changes.
My Denon 2910 has a good buffer, so there is no delay, but my Tosh HD-A2 isn't quite so good. Needless to say, I prefer the Denon.
Old 07-31-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Or for those of us with involuntary balder release it's a reminder to take a pee break.
Maybe it's a good thing I didn't sit next to you at Hooters.
Old 07-31-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ha, yeah. There are a couple of movies I have seen on DVD enough times that I kind of know when to expect the layer change. I know Ed Wood is one of them (when they are racing away from movie premiere in the taxi, I believe). I use a PS2 for my movies.
Old 07-31-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
involuntary balder release
You can't stop pulling your hair out?
Old 07-31-08, 01:14 PM

In the past I had a defective copy of Star Wars (or A New Hope, if you want to call it that.) That would just stop at the layer change. Right after Tarkin says "Terminate her! Immediately!) the movie would just stop. I assumed that it was a faulty layer change because I exchanged it, and the second copy worked fine.
Old 07-31-08, 01:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
lighten up why don't ya. my response wasn't even directed at OP (didn't even see status till you pointed out), i was just trying for some levity for everyone. calm down and take a breath now and then.
Old 07-31-08, 10:38 PM

Wow, I've been a pretty heavy watcher of DVDs for years and never knew what was going on with that little pause... I always figured it was some sort of glitch related to the chapter breaks... ya learn something new every day! Thanks!