Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dazed and Confused DVD Problem (CC)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-11-08, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I just got the Criterion DVD today and while I was watching it I noticed that in a few scenes the colors would change, they would get really bright and then fade a little or they would just be off on a few shots. No, I was not doing drugs while I was watching it or anything (I figured I would mention this since it seems to be a popular film to watch while high). Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. I'm not sure if it's the DVD or my player. I have never had a problem like this before, it is rather distracting at times.
Old 07-11-08, 10:42 PM

I don't remember having any problems with mine. In fact, I remember the PQ being a lot better than the single disc (non-CC). It's been a while since I watched it. I have; however, inexplicably had those types of problems with some newer DVDs (Michael Clayton comes to mind, but it was a NetFlix so I didn't really care) in the past. Did you try watching it on another player/TV? I did that when I've had problems with the disc, just so that I'm sure that it's the disc and not something else.
Old 07-12-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDuke
Hey guys I just got the Criterion DVD today and while I was watching it I noticed that in a few scenes the colors would change, they would get really bright and then fade a little or they would just be off on a few shots. No, I was not doing drugs while I was watching it or anything (I figured I would mention this since it seems to be a popular film to watch while high). Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. I'm not sure if it's the DVD or my player. I have never had a problem like this before, it is rather distracting at times.
Where in the disc does this happen?
Old 07-12-08, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Where in the disc does this happen?
It was too common of an occurence to really keep track of, but I can watch a few scenes again tonight and let you know.
Old 07-12-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's most likely a bad disc... just exchange it at the store...

this happens... anyone with a sizeable DVD collection has seen this stuff more than once... i've had more than a dozen bad discs...

these discs are mass produced and there are some in there where something goes wrong... they may have bad data, they may play to certain point and just stop playing, others have audio and video problems like you describe...

i had a problem like you describe with that really nice 'The Hired Hand' collector's edition DVD package i got several years back... really nice set, but that disc i got had these intermittent video issues kind of like you describe... Hasting's replaced it and of course the next DVD played perfectly...

Criterion will replace the disc if you can't exchange it at the store you got it from...
Old 07-12-08, 09:32 PM

Yeah, I bought it from Amazon. I am going to try it on another player and if that doesn't work I can always try contacting criterion.
Old 07-12-08, 11:19 PM

I really wanted to get the Criterion of this movie as well but decided to not double up since I already have the 1 disc flashback edition
Old 07-13-08, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It almost sounds like a Macrovision problem. How do you have your DVD player connected to your TV?