Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

WARNING: The Universal DVD release of Fearless Director's Cut

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WARNING: The Universal DVD release of Fearless Director's Cut

Old 07-14-08, 11:46 AM

Same problem. Wrote to Universal on Saturday, using Larry's link, and got the reply today about the replacement procedure. I included my address & telephone # in the e-mail to save a step in the process.
I noticed that sites like Amazon, Deep Discount, Circuit City and Best Buy are now listing it as Backordered.
Old 07-15-08, 05:35 PM

For anyone who's been getting duplicate discs with their Fearless: Director's Cut, one option you guys might want to consider is ordering from a Canadian website like Amazon.ca.

I live in Canada (Toronto to be specific), and the copy of the Director's Cut I recently bought from Best Buy was ok. After watching the entire movie, I can confirm that the first disc of the Canadian version of "Fearless" does indeed have the longer extended cut. The minute the movie started with the Michelle Yeoh scene (which was added back in), I knew there wasn't any problem with it.

A friend of mine bought his copy from FutureShop in Toronto and his DVD contains the extended cut on Disc 1 as well. So, no problems here in Toronto.

Not sure if it might have to do with the fact that the movie is distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis rather than Universal. I'm guessing our copies (which were manufactured here in Canada) didn't encounter the same problem with ones printed in the U.S.

I'm sure that if you order from Amazon.ca, you would most likely get an Alliance Atlantis-distributed copy, not the American version distributed by Universal.

Not sure how long it will take Universal to address this quality control issue and offer exchanges, but for those of you in the U.S. who haven't bought the movie yet for fear of running into the same problem, at least you have the option of getting a working copy for yourself which definitely contains the extended director's cut.

Hope that helps you guys!

Last edited by Dairugger; 07-15-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 05:36 PM

Someone also posted this information on Amazon.com for people in the U.S. who have already bought defective copies of the Fearless DVD:

Don't miss out on a great movie because of Universal Studios mistake!

It has been confirmed that JET LI'S FEARLESS: DIRECTOR'S CUT, Universal's highly anticipated re-release of Ronny Yu's Huo Yuanjia biopic promising nearly 40 minutes of additional footage is missing the director's cut. Released July 8th, it promised three versions of the movie, one of which was supposed to be the complete two hour and 21 minute director's cut. However, upon inspecting the two-disc release purchased from Walmart today both discs contain only 103-minute international and theatrical versions. Other readers have been e-mailing and posting messages on this site stating the same problem which suggests this defect is widespread.

Additionally, both discs appear to function erratically in my player. Disc two displays nothing but pixels and disc one periodically will not start up. I was only able to confirm the contents of disc two by using a disc burning tool. Both discs appear to be identical and the director's cut is no where to be found despite what the back cover clearly states.

Universal was unavailable for comment at the time of writing and an e-mail sent Thursday has so far gone unanswered.

At this point I would suggest that anyone who is considering buying this release to not do so until Universal releases corrected discs and issues a statement, preferably along with a recall.

For those who have already purchased the defective FEARLESS discs and are unable to return them to the store, try contacting Universal direct during normal, weekday business hours. You may also want to notify your local retailer.

Universal Home Entertainment
Phone: 818-777-1000
E-mail: http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10

!!Attention!! !!Attention!! !!Attention!! !!Attention!!
Universal Studios Writes:
Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Home Entertainment. We strive to provide the highest standard in product quality and customer care.

Please let us know your shipping address and daytime telephone number, and we will send you a postage paid envelope in which to return your "Jet Li's Fearless Director's Cut" disc #1 for replacement. In the envelope, please send the original disc #1 only, along with a copy of this correspondence.

Please allow 1 - 4 weeks to receive your replacement.

We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will continue to enjoy this and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Old 07-16-08, 02:09 PM

Just to further confirm what Dairugger said, the Canadian release seems ok. I just bought this at HMV in Newfoundland and the directors cut is in-tact.
Old 07-21-08, 10:41 AM

Just got the envelope today to return the defective disc. Pretty fast, I had sent the original e-mail to Universal on 7/14. I'll update when I get the replacement
Old 07-21-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know from work which copies are the nondefective versions, with working for Kmart I had to send back all previous versions of Fearless. On the corrected dvds, Look for a dot on each side of the number on the dvd spine. I hope this helps.
Old 07-24-08, 09:42 AM

Looking For Address Help

I was wondering if anyone who has received the postage paid envelope from Universal could help me out. I live in Canada but bought the DVD from Amazon.com, and because I do not live in the United States, Universal will not send me the postage paid envelope. I was hoping if I could get the address they are using for the returns, I could send mine in and include my own postage paid envelope for them to return the corrected copy to me in Canada.

So, would someone mind posting the address that Universal is using for the returns?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-24-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i just sent mine out yesterday, sorry. but i think it would be less hassle just to return it to amazon and then order it from amazon.ca. you'll get a full refund from amazon and won't have to endure the cost of the postage paid envelope to warner. you would also get the correct dvd from amazon.ca much faster bc warner stated that the disc would take 2-4 weeks (expect at least a month).
Old 07-24-08, 01:51 PM

Morphiou,
I just spoke with Universal and explained your problem. They are aware of the Canada problem and that Amazon.com does ship across the border. Her recommendation was to file the claim at [email protected] and explain the situation exactly as you have above, including your offer to include a post paid envelope. She thought that they'd be able to help you
bigkid43
Old 07-28-08, 12:21 PM

Got my replacement DVD today. Only took a week from when I sent it back. I'm on the Right Coast, they're on the Left.
Checked the disc and it is indeed the Director's Cut. Yippee!!!!!
Old 07-28-08, 02:23 PM

I just received my replacement disc.

Checked it really quick and although it has English subtitles come up during the English language portions (should have been removed seeing as though there is a legit SDH subtitle on the disc), the DVD does correct the small error on the Edko disc which reversed the order of two subtitle lines.

Anyway, even though it's obvious it wasn't going to be a problem, the English subtitles on the Director's Cut disc are legit.
Old 07-28-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I know from work which copies are the nondefective versions, with working for Kmart I had to send back all previous versions of Fearless. On the corrected dvds, Look for a dot on each side of the number on the dvd spine. I hope this helps.
I hope your right as I saw copies at Walmart today for $14.96, which I purchased. Considering this release includes the Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor movie voucher, it's a no brainer purchase.
Old 07-30-08, 11:10 AM
Banned

Got my Corrected disc for DC...I've never seen this cut, but it's much better than the US edit for sure. It always bothered the hell out of me that those 3 fights started off the film. Much better that it's in the end section of the film. Not his greatest film, but it's very entertaining and good, cinematography elevates the film's worth...
Old 10-26-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought Fearless: The Director's Cut today and I'm surprised that they didn't recall and replace them.

Just emailed them and asking for replacement disc.
Old 12-29-08, 09:11 PM

I grabbed this during the $6.99 sale at best buy tonight and it did have the DC on disc 1. There weren't any numbers on the dvd spine but there was a small black dot sticker on the back...maybe that's the new identifier for correct discs?

-mattyp
Old 12-29-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check other 2nd disc to see if it's not similar with first disc. When I bought it, the two discs inside was very identity.
Old 01-04-09, 03:02 PM

Just to confirm about the Jet Li's Fearless Director's Cut release. Opening my purchase from Best Buy, I see these discs:

Disc 1 is labeled Jet Li's Fearless Director's Cut Disc One

Disc 2 is labeled Rouge Pictures Unrated Edition Jet Li's Fearless

I played both and the discs are indeed different. It's just strange that Universal took the previous release and stuck it in with the director's cut. The studio didn't even bother to label it Disc Two.
Old 01-04-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have a question, are the subtitles on the dc indeed dubtittles like the original universal dvd? Also does it subtitle the english too? I have the region 3 edko directors cut with dts 6.1 sound and its amazing, but it subtitles the english parts too which is a tad annyoying.
Old 01-04-09, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MattyP33 View Post
I grabbed this during the $6.99 sale at best buy tonight and it did have the DC on disc 1. There weren't any numbers on the dvd spine but there was a small black dot sticker on the back...maybe that's the new identifier for correct discs?

-mattyp
damn! I noticed that black dot but still didn't buy it as I was afraid of getting the defective version