Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Class of 1999 DVD Release- 9/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class of 1999 DVD Release- 9/16/08

Time to retire another old VHS tape. According to dvdempire.com, this is coming out on 9/16/08 from Lionsgate.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1411811
Old 06-25-08, 12:18 PM
crs

I'll retire my R4 DVD, which really isn't that good. Hopefully this one's got a decent transfer.
Old 06-25-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tits yeah! Not a great (or good) cover, but it'll be great to have this one in R1. A definite purchase.
Old 06-25-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent,it's about time!

I don't care if it's the R version or unrated in this case. I've seen both versions and could not tell the difference between them at all. And both VHS releases are listed as running 99 minutes. I do own the unrated VHS after seeing the R rated version many times growing up. And honestly was disappointed with it.
Old 06-25-08, 02:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I had read the film had to be cut but I didn't realize an unrated version was actually released - why were you disappointed with it Julie?
Old 06-25-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, another bootleg retired
Old 06-25-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worst acting ever...but a true guilty pleasure. This was on a couple months ago somewhere and watched it, as usual.

Bradley Gregg deserves top billing.
Old 06-25-08, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I had read the film had to be cut but I didn't realize an unrated version was actually released - why were you disappointed with it Julie?
The packaging is the exact same for the two VHS releases. It just says 'unrated' in a very tiny font on the cover,a slightly larger font(but still nothing to make it stand out) on the back,and (unrated) on the tape itself.

So it's easy to miss which version you're seeing if you didn't pay attention. I remember renting it from Hollywood Video and noticed the (R rated) notice on the tape itself. And that's how I guessed an unrated version probably existed,but I couldn't find it. So I rented the R rated version. And that same day at Blockbuster with my brother. I looked at their copy and saw it was 'unrated',but the running time was still listed as 99 minutes. I was a bit upset I rented the R version. But there was nothing I could do now and decided to just watch it.

I saw the R version many times after that and enjoyed the movie immensely,it was a lot of fun. And was in no hurry to see the UR version based on the running time listed on the tape.

So flash forward years later,and I got the UR VHS off ebay in like new condition. I watched it,and was hoping I'd notice some difference between the two versions. Since there was one spot in general that I thought was 'obviously' cut. And when the scene came up,I found a possibly split second shot added that was to brief to make any impact at all. I'll have to see the scene in both versions to be truly sure though.

There may be more cuts throughout the film and nothing really stood out for me at all(besides possibly a couple seconds of offscreen guy burning and screaming,after being thrown through gangs window). But either way,I was disappointed and didn't find the UR version anything to get excited about.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-25-08 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
this will probably be in foolscreen
Old 06-25-08, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
this will probably be in foolscreen
It's probably open matte anyway if released in fullscreen. I'll buy it anyway.

Lionsgate did release Cutting Class in widescreen(according to the packaging) and unrated. So there is a small chance this could be in widescreen. But it's worth owning in whatever ratio it's released in!
Old 06-26-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't know this wasn't on DVD yet.
Old 06-26-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Tits yeah! Not a great (or good) cover, but it'll be great to have this one in R1. A definite purchase.
Yikes your right, why couldn't the just use the original cover (there is no way that could increase sales(the new cover))
Old 06-26-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That cover is really horrible.