Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Single Discs of box sets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Discs of box sets?

Hey everyone,

I've been a longtime reader of these boards--it's a great place to channel my inner DVD nerd. I don't feel like I have too much to add on some of the discussions as people tend to be more hardcore than me, but I read it all the time. I figure this is the best place to ask a question about this dilemma I have.

I'm a big fan of the TV show The Wire, but not having HBO, I watch it as it comes out on DVD. As such a big fan, I've lent out my box sets of seasons to numerous people that haven't seen it yet. I've been lending them out for about a year now.

The other day I grabbed the first season to loan to a buddy of mine and opened it up to see that disc 1 was gone. That's right, the first three episodes of the entire series is gone from my collection due to somebody not giving it back after borrowing it, and my dumb ass forgot to check. Unfortunately (of course) I haven't been able to track down anyone that says they are the ones that accidentally misplaced it.

So this sucks. Basically, the question I have for the DVD experts is is there a site or some way where I can get my hands on just the individual first disc? I realize that's a huge long shot....but advice would be nice.

Sorry for the long winded first post! Appreciate any help I can get.
Old 06-22-08, 08:27 PM

First off, Wecome aboard!

Second, you could try contacting the studio that released it, but it is definately a long shot. I have not heard of anywhere where you can simply buy one disc from a boxed set, but it's not a bad idea for someone to start buying up everyone's unwanted, damaged boxed sets for replacement discs. Maybe someone here will be able to help you out.

Third, Do you still lend out your boxed sets? I'm sure given enough dilgence it will turn up. Someone probably has it in one of their other dvd cases. You probably checked already, but did you check the case to make sure someone didn't put the disc on top of another within the set.

I feel your pain also, as I've had numerous dvd's come back in less than desireable condition, and some just flat out disappeared altogether. Makes you think twice about lending them out.
Old 06-22-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to search Ebay to see if anybody is selling the single disc. I've never gone that way, but you never know...
Old 06-22-08, 09:13 PM

Sometimes you can find single discs of TV shows for sale used at places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Since they have them packaged for rental as single discs, they often sell them that way.

Does Netflix still sell used discs? That may be an option too.
Old 06-22-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by David Levine
Sometimes you can find single discs of TV shows for sale used at places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Since they have them packaged for rental as single discs, they often sell them that way.

Does Netflix still sell used discs? That may be an option too.
If you have an abundance of video stores in the area, that might be your best bet. Or if the store has 10 copies of the first disc of the old season, and let's say 6 copies of the rest of the discs, you might be able to persuade them to sell you one. I've heard it happen, but never seen it. I bought a lot of tv shows used single disc at a liquidating hollywood video and I too am missing a couple of discs (I was more than willing to sacrifice an incomplete set to get a 5 discs of, say 24 season 3, for $2). Other than that, ebay, hollywood, blockbuster, maybe some pawn shops or old comic stores. I did see a single disc of Alias on amazon the other day. I doubt that they are on there, but sometimes you can check it out.
Old 06-23-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also recommend used video stores. It's not the best way to buy a series, but it's a good way to replace individual discs.
Old 06-23-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie Stop stores sell single discs of box sets as well. So, basically, what everyone else said.
Old 06-23-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Those are all great options, and I wish you luck in finding the disc, but...

Dude, do not loan out your dvds unless you don't mind if they don't come back
Old 08-10-11, 10:55 AM

Re: Single Discs of box sets?

Has anyone ever used Missingdiscs.com? It claims to be a website devoted to replacement discs but I haven't used it yet . . .
Old 08-10-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does Blockbuster still let you buy discs you rent? I remember some of them being as cheap as $1.
Old 08-10-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not try the very last person you lent it to? If you continued to lend it after the disc went missing wouldn't somebody have noticed? It's probably still in their DVD player. Or ask the last few people you lent it to if it had a disc one until you work back to the guilty party?

I too have learned that loaning people disc is the equivalent of saying "This is my free gift to you, I do not want it anymore."
Old 08-11-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Not a good idea to lend out DVD's that are television show series!

A dvd movie ok...a tv series not ok.