Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wicker Man SE - Commentary Missing?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-20-08, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any Wicker Man owners with a working commentary shed any light on this?

I recently received The Wicker Man 2-Disc Collector's Edition from DeepDiscount. There is supposed to be an audio commentary on the second, extended version disc. However, I think there's been an authoring error that has either eliminated the commentary or perhaps duplicated the previous extended version disc that lacked the new commentary. I could also just be missing something blindingly obvious, so hopefully someone out there can verify who's missing what.

The extended version disc I received has disc art matching the cover art above and has the sku DV15077 printed on it. However, the only options on the menu screen are "Chapter Selections" and "Play" with nothing whatsoever about audio or commentary. I'm unable to switch audio during playback in my dvd player and I can only find one audio track in VideoLan on my pc. Additionally, the most recent comment on its Amazon dvd page is a complaint about the absent commentary.

I know several people ordered this during the recent Anchor Bay Buy1Get1Free sale at DeepDiscount and am curious if they have this problem as well.
Old 06-20-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
According to this review, http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25752/wicker-man-the , yes, there was supposed to be a commentary.
Old 06-20-08, 01:47 AM

I bought this during an earlier sale. My second disc has the same art and number you mention, but has a "Commentary" option between the two options you have and, indeed, I listened to the commentary.

I don't know why they differ.
Old 06-20-08, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
According to this review, http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25752/wicker-man-the , yes, there was supposed to be a commentary.
Sorry if I was unclear. From reading multiple reviews including DVD Talk's and from the specs on the back of the dvd itself I knew that there was supposed to be a commentary. I was just trying to figure out if it was tricky to access or if I had a bum dvd which it appears I do.
Old 06-20-08, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by DvdClon
I bought this during an earlier sale. My second disc has the same art and number you mention, but has a "Commentary" option between the two options you have and, indeed, I listened to the commentary.

I don't know why they differ.
Thanks so much for the confirmation; I figured that was the case, but it's nice to know for sure. I'm guessing they've incorrectly reprinted the special edition extended disc with the guts of the limited edition extended disc.

I filled out a defective dvd report at Anchor Bay's website, but I would hope they're already aware of the problem. I still have several days to try a swap-out with DeepDiscount if Anchor Bay doesn't respond or if the news is grim.