Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital Copies..Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Copies..Why?

Ok, I really getting upset with DVD's having a Digital copy.. Especially since they are calling these DVDs 2-disc with special features. It seems the second disc is always a digital copy that basically becomes a coaster after you have download the film. I really want to hear from everyone on what you think or am I just not getting it...
Old 06-10-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, it's kind of confusing since there's a second disc, but paying extra is nothing new for more material. Normally the extra material would be on a second disc, but now they just put it on disc one.

Personally, I don't care about the digital copies. Hell, to get a 2-disc case, I just remove both discs, put the first disc in a case and use another crappy case to house the digital copy.
Old 06-10-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I hate it. I agree that once you download it, it's a useless coaster. Were DVD customers asking the studios for this? I know I could give a rats ass about having a digital copy of the movie. Trying to watch a 2 hour movie on your Ipod will pretty much drain the entire battery.

Personally, give me a 2nd disc with all EPK featurettes any day as opposed to this.
Old 06-10-08, 05:15 PM

Yeah, I hate this as well. It's basically selling a 1 disc DVD for the price of a 2 disc SE just because of the stupid Digital Copy disc.
Old 06-10-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
it sucks and should be stopped asap
Old 06-10-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The extra disc is a coaster, but it's not like these keepcases are taking up any extra space in your collection, are they?

Companies recognize that digital downloading is popular via the means of the Xbox 360, itunes, and online as piracy in general. They're trying to appease electronic savy consumers by offering a DVD quality copy with their purchased copy of the film so they can take it wherever. Why is that such a bad thing? I mean it's not a feature I'd ever use since I don't ever really watch videos on the go, but they're doing something good here.
Old 06-10-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
The only thing I hate about it is when they only include the special features on the first disk of one of these and they aren't available on the one disk version (ala Juno)...well I would hate if I didn't just wait to buy it until I could get it for $12.
Old 06-10-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally have no interest in them, since once I own a movie on disc (especially in high definition), I consider the bar to be raised, and I don't want to watch it in anything lower again. I see it as the equivalent of watching a movie on TV (and I don't mean HD) with MAR, commercials, etc. even though I have the DVD or better. There are other things I can do on the go if I absolutely need to be entertained, and at the very least, I would restrict it to content only available in SD.

I don't actually have any titles with a DC yet, so I am a little curious to at least see how they work. I hear that Lionsgate just uses a code for the download, which seems better than using a disc. However, don't they include some other extras on the disc along with the DC? I was thinking that titles with the DC would be good sources of 2-disc cases (I'd just throw out the DC disc and move the first disc to a single-disc case), but when I was looking at a couple of titles, it mentioned that there were extras on the second disc as well.
Old 06-10-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
The only one I have is for Rambo. I have no issue with it.
Old 06-10-08, 06:15 PM

it's a scam. they're doing it so they can continue to call backing up your own dvds illegal and now say they are offering a legal alternative.

nevermind it's an inferior alternative and not full quality and no one was ever asking for this anyway. well not since almost years ago when someone had to figure it out for them self and break the copy protection (also by the studios). they're a little late on the "digital copy" bandwagon.

AND they are also using it to charge us extra money for this "gift" of giving us what we already just paid for and already could do.

it's win win for them, lose lose for us.
Old 06-10-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm paying for something I do not need, or will ever use, so i'm against it. I just fear that sooner then later a "2 disc Special Edition" will only be "Special" because of the digital copy. After all, all the extras need to fit on 1 disc.
Old 06-10-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate it also. I don't think it'll last long at all. It wouldn't shock me if we weren't seeing it anymore by the end of the year.

I found the Hitman Blu-ray in a pawn shop the other day and noticed when I got home that the second disc, the digital copy disc, was missing. I care so little about that sort of thing that I didn't even bother to complain, even though I technically had a reason to do so.
Old 06-10-08, 06:44 PM

I also hate the DG copies..Once you downloaded to your comp, you cant reuse it..I tried doing it with I am legend copy onto another comp in the house and it didnt work. Pointless, if you cant downloaded more than once.
Old 06-10-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
I also hate the DG copies..Once you downloaded to your comp, you cant reuse it..I tried doing it with I am legend copy onto another comp in the house and it didnt work. Pointless, if you cant downloaded more than once.

If you could keep downloading it over and over people would just post the code and share the disc.
Old 06-10-08, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
If you could keep downloading it over and over people would just post the code and share the disc.

He has a point though. What if your computer crashes? Then the extra money you paid for the digital copy would go down the drain.
Old 06-10-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will buck the tide and say that I like em'! I travel a lot and like the ability to rip the films to my pod so i can have it on the go!
Old 06-10-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't I have a digital copy of any movie I buy on DVD?
Old 06-10-08, 08:50 PM
Banned

I HATE digital copes. I have not one use for them nor will I ever. They piss me off to no end. I would never watch one DAvid Lynch said it best about these things about how f*ckng sad it is when someone watches a movie on something that small. I cant even watch a movie or tv show on a computer I dont know how someone can watch a film on something even smaller.
I hate whoever came up with the idea of them as well. Worst idea since Divx. Actually worse than that though. I dont know what I can do to stop these digital copies but if anyone has a good idea let me know and I will work hard to do it.
Old 06-10-08, 09:03 PM
CSA

You all have a choice here, If you do not like digital copies, just buy the single disc copy and save some money. If you do, buy the two disc set.

-Claude
Old 06-10-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CSA
You all have a choice here, If you do not like digital copies, just buy the single disc copy and save some money. If you do, buy the two disc set.

-Claude
Well, with the Blu-ray Discs you don't have a choice, but so far they're not driving up the price.

However, Disney will be releasing their first movie with a DC, The Nightmare Before Christmas, at an MSRP of about $33 for the DVD and $40 for the BD. The BD price is $5 higher than they've charged for any movie yet, and I think the DVD price is also above their usual price for a SE catalog title (I think their usual price would be $25 or $30). I fear that's not a coincidence.
Old 06-10-08, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CSA

-Claude
In addition to what Drexl said I'll also add the Rambo Box set to the list. That could have been a few bucks cheaper if not for the coaster (I mean dig. copy). Also it could have been slimmer and saved space maybe as well.
Old 06-10-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I'm paying for something I do not need, or will ever use, so i'm against it. I just fear that sooner then later a "2 disc Special Edition" will only be "Special" because of the digital copy. After all, all the extras need to fit on 1 disc.
The thing is, you're not paying extra for the digital copy. Instead of putting the exclusive special features on a second disc, they put them on disc one. They're still releasing an "inferior" (depending on how you look at it) edition with limited features vs. another with more features. The two disc sets before DC came around cost about $22 vs. $14 for the single-disc version...

However, I do agree, these digital copies are pointless. I tried one and watched it on my iPod. I promptly removed it to save on space.
Old 06-10-08, 09:26 PM

I just picked up Labyrinth today with Digital copy. The red bg stating the digital copy looks so tacky.
Old 06-10-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts
This is an absolutely senseless waste of resources, and a "hidden" way to jack up prices. The studios will, of course justify this increase in price, as what they are doing is "preventing piracy" in providing the digital copy.

WAKE UP... The regular copy of the movie *IS* the "Digital Copy" for God's sake. Why I need another, inferior, DRM'd edition of the movie is crazy talk!

Tools exist to circumvent all this digital copy business (AnyDVD HD for those interested).
Old 06-10-08, 10:27 PM

Man, I'm starting to feel better..I see I'm not alone on this topic. I'm a big collector..two things really stop me from buying a DVD or BluRay and that is Double Sided Disc and Digital Copy Disc...Everyone makes good points, but the big problem is the coaster disc...I can't remember, but I'm guessing Live Free Die Hard did the digital copying correct. They put the Special Features on the Second Disc with the access to download the film. Now, doing it this way makes more since to me, so I don't feel so bad paying over $20.00. And that also free up space so the film is not so compress with the features on one disc. Now of course we are talking about DVD, not Bluray. I really want to thank everyone for calming me down..because I wanted to get Jumper today and I saw that Digital Copy logo on the sleeve and I walked away. I'll just get the Bluray went it comes down to $19-24

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.