DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Sports Night 10th Anniversary Set (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/530455-sports-night-10th-anniversary-set.html)

Michael Corvin 10-08-08 10:54 AM

So did anyone get this? I was hoping for a review but none of our reviewers have put one up yet.

Kal-El 10-08-08 01:50 PM

Ended up getting it for around $5 shipped thru DDD. I had a $35 credit sitting on one of my credit cards for the longest time and I decided to use that to pay for this. I got it yesterday, but I haven't had time to watch it. I too, was waiting for the DVDTalk Reviews but I guess none are coming in the near future. I found a bunch of online reviews by googling and they all say this is what the fans have really been waiting for.

Josh Z 10-08-08 02:19 PM

What's the verdict on the video quality? Any better than the old set?

JasonTHX 10-08-08 02:45 PM

Video quality looked better in the last set, in my opinion. But I'm not using an HD-TV. No Captions Either.

And I'm slightly disappointed in the extras too. No Sabrina in the look back doc. But that ten minute gag reel of season one is pretty good. It makes the 2 minute gag reel for season 2 look awful.

The sound does appear to have more clarity, though.

abintra 10-08-08 02:50 PM

5 reviews currently listed via DVD-Basen

Gizmo 10-08-08 02:50 PM

Shame this is a Shout! Factory release otherwise I would buy right away. Oh well, I'll grab it used on eBay in a few weeks.

OldBoy 10-08-08 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8992294)
Shame this is a Shout! Factory release otherwise I would buy right away. Oh well, I'll grab it used on eBay in a few weeks.

isn't Shout! known for fabulous tv set releases?

Gizmo 10-08-08 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 8992346)
isn't Shout! known for fabulous tv set releases?

I'm boycotting them for the re-release of the "never to be re-printed ever again we promise breaking the molds right now" lie on Freaks and Geeks yearbook. So I'll be picking this up used somewhere down the line.

OldBoy 10-08-08 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8992821)
I'm boycotting them for the re-release of the "never to be re-printed ever again we promise breaking the molds right now" lie on Freaks and Geeks yearbook. So I'll be picking this up used somewhere down the line.

what's the big deal? it is the nature of this business afterall...

Michael Corvin 10-08-08 10:57 PM

Thanks for the review links. Sounds like it's really worth an upgrade. This is a prime candidate for the DDD 20% sale.

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 8993010)
what's the big deal? it is the nature of this business afterall...

Don't go down that road... the F&G: Yearbook thread is a nightmare as is. :lol:

souvenir 10-08-08 11:31 PM

I've watched nearly the entire set. The video quality is disappointing, but if you're a huge fan of the show the extras alone are worth picking it up. Even though the commentaries aren't necessarily that good, it's just nice to have the people who made these episodes talking about them.

I'd like to have heard from some of the recurring guest stars too, like William H. Macy, Teri Polo, Brenda Strong and Paula Marshall.

Josh Z 10-09-08 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JasonTHX (Post 8992272)
Video quality looked better in the last set, in my opinion.

I don't recall the original set being all that great, unfortunately.

The sound does appear to have more clarity, though.
The obnoxious laugh track is still there on Season 1, right?

Michael Corvin 10-09-08 10:59 AM

:lol:

Looks like the DVDTalk Reviewers had their eye on this thread. Review is now up.

alongoria 10-13-08 06:20 PM

Just did a blind buy of these.

Everything I've read about this show has nothing but great things to say. So hopefully those reviews aren't wrong.

DeanoBKN 10-13-08 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by alongoria (Post 9002016)
Just did a blind buy of these.

Everything I've read about this show has nothing but great things to say. So hopefully those reviews aren't wrong.

You won't regret the purchase. The show is brilliant.

Jfunk1 10-14-08 01:36 AM

I also did a blind buy. The show is great. If you like "Jerry Maguire," this is right up your alley.

Double_Oh_7 10-14-08 09:31 AM

I just recently revisited this show. And while I liked it while it was on the air, now it seems a just little pretentious. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it reminded me of the disaster Studio 60 became. No one in the world talks like that; everyone takes everything way too seriously. Sorkin's style of writing worked for West Wing because it lends itself more to weightier subjects. It does not fit shows about a sports show or late-night skit comedy show.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

JasonTHX 10-14-08 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9003125)
No one in the world talks like that

I actually have been talking like that ..much to the bewilderment of my friends who shake their heads and say "Why ya talk like that? Why you gotta use all those big words for?"

I tell them I'm speaking "Sorkinese." :lol:

jarofclay73 10-14-08 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 8993752)
:lol:

Looks like the DVDTalk Reviewers had their eye on this thread. Review is now up.

Not to be mean or anything but doesn't a review WITHOUT a comparison of the 2002 version of "Sports Night" DVD set strike you as... incomplete?

Michael Corvin 10-14-08 07:33 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the whole review thing. With all the praise the show gets around here I figure we would have had the best review on the net, and early to boot. We get a late review that doesn't even compare the two releases. Fail.

I'm buying regardless because the features sound great, but a little more insight into the set would have been stellar.

souvenir 10-14-08 08:53 PM

So you expect the reviewer to watch all 45 episodes and the bonus features and write the review before release date. Plus he should have the out of print, bare bones edition for a comparison? Seems a bit unfair.

The only reason at this point to own the first set is the subtitles because the Shout! release doesn't have any. The video quality isn't exceptional on either.

Michael Corvin 10-14-08 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by souvenir (Post 9004601)
So you expect the reviewer to watch all 45 episodes and the bonus features and write the review before release date. Plus he should have the out of print, bare bones edition for a comparison? Seems a bit unfair.

Come on. Obviously not. Would it be that hard to pop in a an episode or two for comparison? Five minutes here, 10 minutes there.

souvenir 10-15-08 12:32 AM

Well, the review states he doesn't have the earlier set for comparison. I know I sold mine off at a healthy profit when I heard of the new release so I'm just not sure why anyone with an interest in the show would even have both editions.

bigjim25 12-08-09 12:12 AM

Sports Night Season 1 coming 03/30/2010

Sports Night S1 coming seperately 03/30/2010 for folks not being able to afford the whole series at one time.