DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Sports Night 10th Anniversary Set (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/530455-sports-night-10th-anniversary-set.html)

domino harvey 04-28-08 02:39 AM

Sports Night 10th Anniversary Set

HOLY SMOKES

Dan Average 04-28-08 03:39 AM

If true, I feel sorry for the people who paid through the nose for the original set...but did anybody really think they would leave this OOP?

mdc3000 04-28-08 06:23 AM

I had no idea the original set was hard to find...bought it when it came out! I probably won't double dip on a TV show, but I'd love to see some extras for this great show.

Geofferson 04-28-08 08:06 AM

I think I'll have to pick this up - sounds like a great set.

Shack 04-28-08 08:11 AM

Wow, great news. I've watched Sports Night more than any other DVD set I own, so I'll definitely be interested in any extras. Thanks for posting!

zekeburger1979 04-28-08 10:00 AM

This is one set I wouldn't mind double dipping on! I think I've watched my DVDs about 20 times each.

Josh Z 04-28-08 10:13 AM

If they can remove the laugh track from the first season episodes, I'm all over it.

Rooked 04-28-08 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If they can remove the laugh track from the first season episodes, I'm all over it.

Ya really...

macnorton 04-28-08 11:53 AM

I got the first set $10 @ Best Buy years ago. Might upgrade.

domino harvey 04-28-08 12:37 PM

There's deleted scenes that should be included, you can see parts in episodes that never aired in the "Last Time" segments. I too bought this when upon release date when it first came out, and before that I had $120 bootleg CD-R sets, I don't think triple dipping is out of the ordinary, especially for new extras!

Matthew Chmiel 04-28-08 12:56 PM

If they ditch the laugh track, I'll double dip.

If not, no go.

Michael Corvin 04-28-08 12:57 PM

I had no idea this was out of print until about a month ago. Glad to see it return. I will definitely be picking it up.

lisadoris 04-28-08 06:03 PM

If the new set comes in a slimmer package I'd consider a double-dip. Nixing the laugh track would be a bonus as well.

zekeburger1979 04-28-08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
I got the first set $10 @ Best Buy years ago. Might upgrade.

How did you get it for $10? I don't ever recall it going on sale.

Gizmo 04-28-08 07:16 PM

Its OOP? I see it all the time. MSRP is still too high.

Matthew Chmiel 04-28-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Its OOP? I see it all the time. MSRP is still too high.

I remember the first week it was released. Target had it on sale for $39. :thumbsup:

Trevor 04-28-08 09:15 PM

One of my first blind buys back in 2000 or whenever it came out, thanks to the numerous recommendations from this forum.

Still haven't watched it. :(

Watched an episode for the holiday challenge and loved it, looking forward to seeing the whole series someday.

Michael Corvin 04-28-08 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

Watched an episode for the holiday challenge and loved it, looking forward to seeing the whole series someday.

Well stop wasting your time here and go watch it. :lol:

bigjim25 04-29-08 02:01 AM

I bought an extra used but mint copy at a Flea Market in Florida last year along with the then OOP Twin Peaks for $10 each. I sold Twin Peaks last year for $70 and sold Sports Night 2 weeks ago for $80 when I found out it was OOP. I'm a happy man. :D

Prowler 04-29-08 04:00 AM

What a great show!!

I cant wait to pick this up.

zekeburger1979 04-29-08 09:44 AM

It's backordered at Best Buy and it's going for $69.99!

Ebay has copies from $30-$100!

macnorton 04-29-08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
How did you get it for $10? I don't ever recall it going on sale.

It was on sale at the local one (East Hanover, NJ) and it was $19.99. I had $10 off via Reward Zone and snagged it for $10.

Gunde 04-29-08 11:03 AM

I'm all over this. Best show ever!

Kicker_of_Elves 04-29-08 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde
I'm all over this. Best show ever!

Ditto! I love this show and i'm happy to see it get a new release. :up:

DeanoBKN 04-29-08 07:09 PM

Of all the possible re-releases out there...I think I would rank Sports Night of having a...2% chance of getting one. This is a fabulous news, and if there are special features added, I will gladly double dip.

I urge anybody who has never seen the show before to go out and blind buy it come September. You will NOT be disappointed.

JasonTHX 04-30-08 11:40 AM

Now I HAVE to get this. Here's why: I popped my Disc 1 of Sports Night in last night. I was starting A Sports Night marathon. One Episode for the next 44 weeknights. After about 15 minutes into the pilot - the moment right after Jeremy's first hilarious Huff (of which many more were to come) the disc just completely froze. The player wouldn't respond at all. Had to unplug it. Tried again. Same thing.

Anyone else have this issue with disc 1?

asianxcore 04-30-08 04:05 PM

My girlfriend loves this show.

She already has the first release of the DVD set, but this will be good news anyway :)

thecrazydude 04-30-08 04:14 PM

Bought the Set when it first came out...never knew that it was OOP. Love the show, but won't double dip. Definately recommended!

bigjim25 05-16-08 08:46 PM

It's official. It's coming September 30 from Shout!, so time to unload your barebones sets. :D

LasVegasMichael 05-16-08 10:28 PM

I had no idea this was OOP either. Time to eBay mine, I guess. I have no problem double dipping on thios great show.

zekeburger1979 05-17-08 12:03 AM

I'm unloading mine on eBay. Hopefully, I'll get enough for it to cover the cost of the new one.

macphoen 05-17-08 04:10 PM

I'll probably keep the OOP release, but I'm really anticipating September 30th. Thanks Shout!

Matthew Chmiel 05-18-08 01:36 AM

Two discs worth of extra? :thumbsup:

However, I still will only double-dip if they can remove the laugh tracks. The two-discs full of extra sound great, but I don't think I need it unless the episodes are in a higher quality.

CropsyX 05-18-08 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
However, I still will only double-dip if they can remove the laugh tracks.

Unfortunately they aren't removing the laugh track. It's mentioned in the article linked at TV Shows on DVD that Shout Factory weren't able to remove it.

I'll wait for news on the extras but no laugh track was the one thing I really wanted from this re-release.

Gunde 05-18-08 06:23 AM

The laugh track is kinda discreet and on most episodes you don't hear it. It's certainly not gonna keep me from enjoying this new set

Michael Corvin 05-18-08 06:58 AM

The laugh track is kinda discreet and on most episodes you don't hear it. It's certainly not gonna keep me from enjoying this new set

I have to agree. I'd love to have a set without it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Gunde 07-18-08 09:22 AM

Don't how accurate it is but here's what Amazon lists as extras:
The Show: An in-depth look back at Sports Night with creator/writer Aaron Sorkin, directors Thomas Schlamme and Robert Berlinger, cast members Felicity Huffman, Peter Krause, Josh Charles, Joshua Malina, and Robert Guillaume, Emmy® award-winning editor Janet Ashikaga, Emmy® award-winning director of photography Peter Smokler, producer John Amodeo, and set designer Thomas Azzari. Includes never-before-seen behind-the-scenes home movies shot by John Amodeo.
Face Off: ESPN's SportsCenter vs. CSC's Sports Night - Sports Night's real-life ESPN counterparts discuss what the series got right and wrong.
A Conversation with Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme
Inside The Locker Room - A look at the innovations of Sports Night with Aaron Sorkin, Thomas Schlamme, Robert Berlinger, Janet Ashikaga, Peter Smokler, John Amodeo, and Thomas Azzari.
Season Gag Reels
8 Episode Commentaries including creator/writer Aaron Sorkin, director/executive producer Thomas Schlamme, director Robert Berlinger, editor Janet Ashikaga, and cast members Peter Krause, Josh Charles, Joshua Malina, Sabrina Lloyd, Greg Baker, Kayla Blake, Timothy Davis-Reed, and Ron Ostrow.
Original Promos
36-Page Booklet including an introduction by creator Aaron Sorkin
Pretty much everything I could have hoped for. Can't wait!

Michael Corvin 07-18-08 10:05 AM

Pretty much everything I could have hoped for. Can't wait!

Except for that whole laugh track thing, but everything else sounds great!

WallyOPD 07-18-08 10:20 AM

No Sabrina Lloyd in the look back? :( At least it looks like she's on at least one commentary.

Gunde 07-18-08 02:21 PM

^ that's why I said I didn't know how accurate the info is....a few thinks like that doesn't make sense.....