Reload this Page >

Most desired Laserdisc Special Edition Transfers

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-23-08, 03:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling this might have been done before, but I couldn't find it. Sorry in advance, if that is the case.

Anyway, which special edition Laserdiscs would you love to see transferred to DVD? Which films have great special features, forever trapped in Laserdisc format? I have seriously considered puchasing a laserdisc player to get some of these (especially since most are only $30-40), but I haven't come up with enough titles to really make it worth it, not to mention that the ones that are worth owning on LD are rare and expensive.

The few I have come across:

1. Dead Presidents (Criterion Collection) - I love this movie, and the DVD is as bare bones as it gets. The CC LD has a commentary with the Hughes Bros, Deleted Scenes, and a featurette with the real guy who's life the story is based on (his true life story after his conviction also sounds fascinating). The Hughes Bros, IMO, are some of the most criminally underrated film makers working today, and their special edition of From Hell (the only one I've been able to see) is terrific. They're extremely insightful, really taking you inside their creative process, not just telling funny stories from the set.

2. Menace II Society - Not as extensive as the Dead Presidents LD, but does feature another commentary from the Hughes Brothers. After listening to the one on From Hell, the oppotunity to hear another one is a strong enough selling point in itself. I doubt either of these will see a DVD release, considering the (IMO) inexplicable lack of interest in the Hughes Bros' work.

3. Fisher King - My favorite film from Terry Gilliam, who has some of the best special editions releases of any director, both on LD and DVD. This features a commentary and a few behind the scenes featurettes, as well as some other things I think. Gilliam is an excellent commentator, and I'm sure this one is great. There may be a chance for a DVD release though, as the Baron Munchausen LD was finally transferred to DVD this month, with most, if not all, the special features.

4. The Game - Commentary from David Fincher, as well as some other features.

5. Crash (Cronenberg) - A commentary from Cronenberg, among other things. Cronenberg is also an excellent commentator, and if ever there was a film to benefit from a commentary, I think this is the one.

6. Taxi Driver - Scorsese commentary. I think that this commentary is not even available on the newest DVD of this film, so I doubt it will ever make the transition.
Old 04-23-08, 03:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Menace II Society from Criterion is also the unrated cut of the film.

I'd kill to hear the original Bond commentary tracks from the Criterion editions.
Old 04-23-08, 03:11 PM

There are also things to look at like Last Of The Mohicans on laserdisc the THX transfered version. To me when Fox released this as a directors cut dvd, to me the supposed directors cut is junk, cutting out key music scores and adding unnecessary minutes. I keep my laserdisc player for that movie and a few others.
Old 04-23-08, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Groundhog,

What other LD titles do you hold onto? Do you think it's worth owning an LD player?
Old 04-23-08, 03:39 PM

I hold on to all of my Criterion Laserdiscs, special edition or not. English Patient had some nice deleted scenes....SEVEN, CRASH (Cronenberg), Halloween Criterion...etc...
I think there are some other discs that seem to have original theatrical cuts of a film, as where the only thing available on DVD is a directors cut. I believe RANSOM is that way, Beauty and the Beast (Preview cut show at Radio City Music Hall still in the Sketch version)...I will make you a list when I go home tonight with some more. There are also a few laserdiscs that are widescreen as where the DVDs are not..Bridges of Madison County (Which will change with its rerelease soon, and Michael with John Travolta.) I still own a few hundred laserdiscs....guess since they are so cheap, might be worth getting a dolby digital player, mine is still only a surround player.

I honestly don't watch my player that much anymore just because I own so many dvds. But When I want Last Of the Mohicans, I go laserdisc all the way.
Old 04-23-08, 03:41 PM

Cannibal Holocaust is the only Laser Disc I want.
Old 04-23-08, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWAR
Cannibal Holocaust is the only Laser Disc I want.

This is available on DVD.
Old 04-23-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Abserd360].

I completely agree with all your choices, especially No's 1,2 and 5 - and what the hell happened to the Hughes brothers anyway? The last I heard of them, they were making a Jimi Hendrix biopic, which was unfortunately squashed by the "family" estate.
Old 04-23-08, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

I know they were involved with a TV series not long ago called Touching Evil, which I've never seen or even heard of outside of their involvement with it. There was also a TV movie that Allen directed, I don't think Albert was involved, at least not officially. According to IMDB, Allen is directing what seems to be a segment in a series of vignettes for a project called "New York, I Love You." It'll be nice to see some work from him, but I'd really love to see them reunite for a full length feature. On the From Hell commentary, Allen mentions that he'd like to do something really outside traditional cinematic form. He uses Lynch and Mulholland Dr. as example, though he says he doesn't know that he could get that far out there. I'd love to see it, but I guess its pretty unlikely, at least for the near future.

I didn't know about the Hendrix biopic, that's a shame. It would've been a great story to tell. The Hughes Bros have it really rough in the film world, I really can't blame them for not doing anything in the last few years. They've gotten totally screwed in the DVD market, with barebones releases on Dead Presidents and Menace II Society. The special edition of From Hell was a good release, but even that's out of print now I think, at least the 2 disc version. I haven't seen American Pimp yet, though I plan to. They're great film makers and I wish they'd get their due.
Old 04-23-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only two left that I really would still like to see released one day on DVD:

1) 1776 - Pioneer Special Edition

2) Jet Pilot - laserdisc had the film's correct 1.37 - 1 framing
Old 04-23-08, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Abserd360
What other LD titles do you hold onto? Do you think it's worth owning an LD player?
I'm a sucker for a good commentary track. Although nearly a year old (last update June 2007), this is a good list of Criterion LD commentaries that never made it to DVD (yet):

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...ghlight=#13899

I also have the Pioneer Special Edition of Basic Instinct, which features Paul Verhoeven solo in the commentary track, unlike the SE DVD.

TLK

Old 04-24-08, 02:49 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw some star wars LD a few years ago that had some good extra's.
Old 04-24-08, 05:57 AM

The THX Editions of the original Star Wars are the original theatrical versions, unavailable on DVD except as non-anamorphic "extras" on the last DVD release.

We'll probably never see a proper DVD release.
Old 04-24-08, 08:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by groundhog
There are also things to look at like Last Of The Mohicans on laserdisc the THX transfered version. To me when Fox released this as a directors cut dvd, to me the supposed directors cut is junk, cutting out key music scores and adding unnecessary minutes. I keep my laserdisc player for that movie and a few others.

it also deleted some gore near the end.

I know they were involved with a TV series not long ago called Touching Evil, which I've never seen or even heard of outside of their involvement with it. There was also a TV movie that Allen directed, I don't think Albert was involved, at least not officially. According to IMDB, Allen is directing what seems to be a segment in a series of vignettes for a project called "New York, I Love You." It'll be nice to see some work from him, but I'd really love to see them reunite for a full length feature. On the From Hell commentary, Allen mentions that he'd like to do something really outside traditional cinematic form. He uses Lynch and Mulholland Dr. as example, though he says he doesn't know that he could get that far out there. I'd love to see it, but I guess its pretty unlikely, at least for the near future.

I didn't know about the Hendrix biopic, that's a shame. It would've been a great story to tell. The Hughes Bros have it really rough in the film world, I really can't blame them for not doing anything in the last few years. They've gotten totally screwed in the DVD market, with barebones releases on Dead Presidents and Menace II Society. The special edition of From Hell was a good release, but even that's out of print now I think, at least the 2 disc version. I haven't seen American Pimp yet, though I plan to. They're great film makers and I wish they'd get their due.
I agree 100%
Old 04-24-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
4. The Game - Commentary from David Fincher, as well as some other features.
The DVD of this exists in Region 3. I have it, and it's pretty sweet - cool cover art too.
Old 04-24-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
I know they were involved with a TV series not long ago called Touching Evil, which I've never seen or even heard of outside of their involvement with it.
Touching Evil ran on the USA cable network for a season back in 2004. It was cancelled, and the star is now in Burn Notice on the same network. The show was based on a British series of the same name.
Old 04-24-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I'll vote for The Game, Dead Prez, and Crash. Taxi Driver is fine in the new edition, and i found an MP3 of the original commentary on the net.

On a related note, I personally think studios should release more MP3 commentaries. Then there would be no need to re-release a DVD (aside from visual/sonic upgrades...but lets assume that the DVD is the best version that will come out). I dig Rifftrax, which is a similar idea.
Old 04-24-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The special edition of "The Howling" that has some deleted shots of stop motion werewolves. Criterion of "Tootsie" with commentary track. The Criterion Bonds are sweet.
Old 04-24-08, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by laserdogg
But the laserdisc is an awesome gatefold and comes with a 45 rpm record and a barf bag!
Exactly! I want it just to hang it on the wall!
Old 04-24-08, 03:23 PM
Banned

I agree with all of Abserd360's choices. I ddnt even know a dew of these films had good special laserdisk editions.
I have realllllly been wanting The Fisher king for many years now wth the commentary and other special features.
Dead Presidents and the Game would be great to have SE's of on dvd as well.
Old 04-24-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doc Hollywood

DVD

DVD Format: Snap Case, Pan & Scan , 1.33:1, Closed Captioned, Color, Sides:1 (SS-SL)

DVD Features: Audio Track 1: English, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

LD

1.85 : 1
Letterbox

Digital and Analog Tracks
Old 04-25-08, 05:16 PM

As a musicals geek, I'd love to see the Criterion Laserdisc of Evita make its way to DVD.

Features from were

* Audio commentary by director 'Alan Parker'
* Trailers
* Television spots
* The music video "You Must Love Me"
* Documentary "The Making of Evita"
* Parker's shooting script, illustrated with his sketches and production stills
* and archival footage with stills and articles on the Perons and Argentina.

Far better than the barebones DVD.
Old 04-25-08, 07:12 PM
FuQ

Criterion Dead President's is also a director's cut. I believe it is about 3 minutes longer. More violence in the Vietnam sequence. I've never seen it but I was very close to buying it one day but passed. I still regret this move.
Old 04-25-08, 08:48 PM

I don't know if I should ask this, but where can you find any of the commentary tracks on the net. I found the Crash track on Pirate Bay and it's a great listen. Thats one film thats been listed that I hope sooner or latter Criterion goes back to and does a SE for dvd since from what I heard they have the rights to do a SE on dvd.
Old 04-25-08, 09:00 PM

If I remember correctly, the LD version of Nightmare on Elm Street had some deleted scenes that have only been released on VHS so far. I seem to remember hearing about a scene wear Glen pops back out of the bed, laying dead. I've debated tracking down an LD player along with Nightmare.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.