Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Standard DVDS: merit & longevity for film buffs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm well aware this topic has been gone over before, but I'm not pursuing it from the "format war" perspective.

Is there anyone else who's content with standard anamorphic DVDs and doesn't have any pressing urge to upgrade to Blu-ray?

(EDIT: THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS PURELY SPECULATIVE, AND NOT MEANT TO DENIGRATE CONSUMERS OF BLU-RAY)
I've sometimes found that upgrading technology to this level may inadvertently cause one to watch a less-favorite film. Hypothetical example: choosing to watch Coppola's Dracula even if the original w/ Bela Lugosi is your favorite because on a technical level a monaural full-frame film isn't taking full advantage of your HD system.

But to throw in my two cents on a widely discussed issue, I think the notion of standard DVDs becoming obsolete is poppycock. While retail prices may be lowering, it's primarily mainstream films released by the major studios. "Niche" companies such as Criterion, Blue Underground, Kino Video, have been holding their ground quite well, and the types of films they release wouldn't have much use for a Blu-Ray upgrade (if you're going to watch a silent German Expressionist film like Nosferatu, it's obviously doesn't call for a state-of-the-art home theatre system...unless they release a version with Aphex Twin providing the score).

Feel free to throw in your own thoughts/concerns. I wrote this to stimulate interaction, not just to read my clumsily expressed thoughts.

(ONCE AGAIN, APOLOGIES TO ANYONE WHO I UNINTENTIONALLY INSULTED WITH MY POORLY WORDED ORIGINAL POST)

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 03-30-08 at 11:01 PM. Reason: My point was worded poorly enough to cause unintentional offense
Old 03-30-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an extensive collection of DVDs and don't have any plans to "upgrade" anytime soon. I'm a realist though and realize eventually DVDs will be phased out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. When it does though, I'll just get a PS3 (kill two birds with one stone).

Honestly though, I don't see the real need to upgrade from DVDs to Blu-Ray. I mean when there was the switch from VHS to DVD, that made complete sense and was a welcome change. But I can't see paying $30 for a Blu-Ray Disc when I can get it on DVD for $15...not to mention the fact that Blu-Ray Players are much more expensive as well. Technology will always improve, but in this case I can't help but feel it's just the industry trying to make a quick buck on technology that isn't really needed at this time.
Old 03-30-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, it's Blu-ray not "Blu-Ray". Yes, a good portion of BD titles aren't considered "good", but Blu-ray is a young format that'll hopefully grow.

I don't know who said stop buying DVDs, however. I collect both BDs and DVDs and they don't self-destruct when they're in the same room. You make a good point in that yes, sometimes HD does win over what movie is better, but that'll change as more and more "good" movies come out on Blu-ray. If you had the choice between watching say, "August Rush" on Blu-ray or "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" on DVD (I know the BD is available, but this is just an example); I'd be watching that "SD" DVD of "Assassination" over "August Rush" without hesitation. Sometimes the situation is reversed, however. If I had the choice between watching "No Country For Old Men" on Blu-ray or watching "Halloween" on DVD; that BD will be in the PS3 so fast. It all varies from title to title.

I support both formats, and I think at least for the next couple of years or so; Blu-ray and DVD will co-exist. Most TV shows won't be arriving on Blu-ray for a long time, and some will never make it on BD. A lot of movies won't see a Blu-ray release either. Some titles haven't even been released on DVD yet, and have only seen a VHS release, if that. Another reason why Blu-ray and DVD will co-exist is because even though that $7-$10 difference is usually giving you the best PQ and audio; for most, they see DVD as "good enough" and they're in no way going to spend that extra money for HD picture and better sound. A large portion of people still don't have a HDTV yet and if they did they probably wouldn't configure it properly, have the HT receiver for Surround sound, or they would just wouldn't care.

I can't wait for that "Lawrence of Arabia" Blu-ray, but most just watch it on AMC or TCM and will think it's "silly" paying money for something you can see for "free".
Old 03-30-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
I have no temptation to upgrade since I don't own a widescreen/hi-def TV
Old 03-30-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no plans to "upgrade", I'm happy with my collection the way it is.

Rob
Old 03-30-08, 08:17 PM
Banned

Definitely no urge to upgrade. I have an Hd-DVD player that I never watch and I have seen Blu-rays performance and DVD is the format I choose.
And When Criterion starts releasing Blu-ray titles if they do I will no longer buy Criterion.
Old 03-30-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, seeing a few older films on Blu-Ray, I'm not at all in a rush to upgrade most of my titles. I know we are at the mercy of the transfer guy, but some titles, like Casablanca and Kane, well, those sets are pretty definitive. Will 1080p enhance them, maybe maybe not. I have Dawn/Day of the Dead, Sister Street Fighter, The Fly, and The Omega Man on Blu. The Fly looks the best and at times the look great and times, an upconverted image will be just fine if not the same as the Blu version.

My theory and spending comes to this: buy the titles I want, decide if the Blu version will be worth it (in erms of video, audio, and extras) and if it is, then that's what I go with. If not, I'm more than happy with SDVD. Stuff like "No Country for Old Men", "ratatouille", "Sunshine", "30 Days of Night", "I am Legend" were titles I bought on Blu because I felt they screamed Blu. Stuff like "Juno", Criterions, TV, and te like I'll buy on SDVD.

I know that some catalogue titles like "2001" look amazing on Blu, but hey, it's a choice and will always be a choice for many years to come, DVD or Blu. I love Blu Ray and supported them for the last 7 months, but I was always debating is it woth buying this title for 1080 or not. I know that seems odd, cuz full fledged 1080p rocks but not al titles I believe benefit from it.
Old 03-30-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a great HD TV and I still haven't jumped. I almost jumped on HDDVD around Christmas, and would have had I been able to take advantage of those $100-$200 player prices. Now I’m glad I couldn’t find one.

I'm not silly enough to say there isn't a noticeable difference between SD and Blue-Ray. But right now the difference isn't enough to justify a + $300 player and +$25 discs.

When the price of a good player drops to $125 I'll give in, but I'm sure I'll never replace a majority of my SD discs, even if they become available.
Old 03-30-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I went to HD-DVD when it was alive and kicking, and I certainly appreciate an HD picture on a newer film with special effects... but even then, a lot of todays DVD's are good enough for me. I cant' stand bad picture quality on a sd-dvd, but for the most part, most discs are encoded fine enough for me to feel they're just fine, and will be for a long, long time. I would eventually like to get BR, but with DVD looking as it does and the price of the BR players? I can wait for some time. And even then, I won't be upgrading a ton of titles.
Old 03-30-08, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think DVDs will become obsolete to another format that only upgrades quality, and not ease. I know people hate the idea of downloads, but I think a hard drive with digital playlist like a data bank will be what eventually make dvds obsolete. How great would it be to plug in a usb keychain drive to your "movie player," DL a couple movies and go to a friends's house to watch them. I don't think dvd quality on VHS tapes would have been as big of a deal as DVDs were because DVDs were more of an upgrade in ease than quality.
Old 03-30-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I dont think DVDs will become obsolete to another format that only upgrades quality, and not ease. I know people hate the idea of downloads, but I think a hard drive with digital playlist like a data bank will be what eventually make dvds obsolete. How great would it be to plug in a usb keychain drive to your "movie player," DL a couple movies and go to a friends's house to watch them. I don't think dvd quality on VHS tapes would have been as big of a deal as DVDs were because DVDs were more of an upgrade in ease than quality.
That would be TERRIBLE. The only thing that I like about Blu-ray is that we still have tangible discs. Downloading is awful.
Old 03-30-08, 10:04 PM

I have a widescreen HDTV and up-converting region-free DVD player-- I've said it before and I'll say it again: that's more than enough resolution for me. I do not need to see the actor's pores when I watch a film. Will never be upgrading to Blu-ray
Old 03-30-08, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I have no temptation to upgrade since I don't own a widescreen/hi-def TV
Same here.
Old 03-30-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I find that upgrading technology to this level inadvertently causes one to watch worse films. That is, when you choose to pop in a film from your collection, the emphasis shifts from a film you truly love to one that's more high-tech.
Preposterous! Now if you'll excuse me, my Blu-ray copy of Meet the Spartans isn't going to preorder itself...
Old 03-30-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Preposterous! Now if you'll excuse me, my Blu-ray copy of Meet the Spartans isn't going to preorder itself...
Yikes! I didn't mean to that extent. I better fix my post...

What I mean is... let's say, hypothetically, you feel like watching a Dracula film & your favorite is the one with Bela Lugosi, but you decide to watch the less-favorite Bram Stoker's Dracula (the Coppola one) because it makes better use of your widescreen television & surround sound than the monaural, full-frame original. Technically, it's a perfectly logical decision.
Old 03-30-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't believe that I would be able to upgrade my library completely (I have a very niche collection). Not because I am not willing to look for a better quality but simply because I believe that there will be a certain percentage of titles that will not make it to BR. Just as the transition from VHS to DVD left plenty of films unaccounted for I am certain there will be many important films that won’t make it to BR.

With this in mind I could not be any more enthusiastic about BR. I do believe that it will be a mass format and as successful as DVD. The mass adoption of DVD spurred enormous restoration efforts from hundreds of small distribs around the globe and I think that in a very foreseeable future the same trend will be obvious with BR (for players such as Criterion, Medusa, MK2, and RHV, currently the switch is dependent on accelerated consumer adoption and manufacturing costs, both of those are moving in the “right” direction, and more importantly many of the smaller distribs I mention above have a large catalog of HD-ready titles – they don’t need to invest in further restoration efforts).

Specifically in terms of “upgrading” even an average BR transfer from KINO would be exciting news (I am puzzled how you can claim that they have been holding their ground as aside from Facets they are regarded as the worst in the industry. Being able to watch their catalog without the mandatory PAL-NTSC issues…this alone is enough of a reason for me to look forward to them releasing on BR).

Regarding your comment about German Expressionism titles and the likes…I am unsure whether or not you are familiar with the German Film Museum and their output but the titles they bring to the market are product of the same government-sponsored efforts Medvedkin’s works received in France (digital restoration). In fact, Metropolis is discussed as upcoming on BR elsewhere. So, to claim that HD presentation of classic films won’t be beneficial is the least to say a questionable statement (we are also practically weeks away from Black Narcissus having its BR premiere in the UK).

DVD followed the same progression we are now observing with BR (sans the war, from pricing to majors vs. independents adoption). Finally, I believe that the studios and retailers will effectively accelerate the transition and make BR a mass format simply because DVD is already a financially-exhausted medium.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-30-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I always have wondered, is why they made the DVD cases so large. The HD-DVD and Blu-ray cases are much smaller and more compact, reminiscent of a nicer CD case. Why are they just now using those types of cases? Where were those so many years ago when DVDs first came out?
Old 03-31-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, thanks for all the responses so far.

Originally Posted by kstublen
Technology will always improve, but in this case I can't help but feel it's just the industry trying to make a quick buck on technology that isn't really needed at this time.
That's exactly how I'm feeling right now (but I'd like the POV of the Blu-ray converted if I haven't alienated them already). VHS-to-DVD was an improvement on an exponential level for anyone with any level of film appreciation (notably, the return of widescreen to its rightful esteem).

Originally Posted by nateman
If I had the choice between watching "No Country For Old Men" on Blu-ray or watching "Halloween" on DVD; that BD will be in the PS3 so fast. It all varies from title to title.
Oh definitely, No Country had great cinematography, Deakins is a master. I was thinking more in terms of choosing a less-favorite new film over a favorite classic film that's full-frame and/or monaural (Bram Stoker's Dracula over Nosferatu, Tombstone over The Seven Samurai, etc).

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
And When Criterion starts releasing Blu-ray titles if they do I will no longer buy Criterion.
Haha. Then again, the idea of Salo on Blu-ray...

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I have Dawn/Day of the Dead, Sister Street Fighter, The Fly, and The Omega Man on Blu. The Fly looks the best and at times the look great and times, an upconverted image will be just fine if not the same as the Blu version.
Yeah, I was wondering about Dawn/Day, or any horror classic with lots of makeup gore effects ('The Thing' is another masterpiece I noticed got upgraded). I've noticed, ironically, that some low-budget films have suffered from good transfers because image clarity can bring out the "fakeness" (I recall this with some of the Italian & Spanish zombie knockoffs of the early 80's). In your view, to the evisceration sequences in Day of the Dead benefit from Blu-ray?

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I know people hate the idea of downloads, but I think a hard drive with digital playlist like a data bank will be what eventually make dvds obsolete. How great would it be to plug in a usb keychain drive to your "movie player," DL a couple movies and go to a friends's house to watch them.
Does that mean everyone's going to get rid of their CD/DVD wallets? Actually the USB keychain works that way with my Avid editing software, and it seems like a probable thing to occur with a variety of data transfer, but not at the extinction of hand-held DVDs in their hand-held cases. Especially companies like Criterion that include thick, lengthy booklets with essays and artwork. Some people thought the internet would eradicate the printed page by now, but I'm happy to say books are alive and well.

I suppose Blu-ray DVD is the video equivalent of SACD audio.

Anyway, lots of good points. I look forward to posting here more.
Old 03-31-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't care what happens, as long as the nightmare of digital movies doesn't take over.
Old 03-31-08, 12:26 AM

I do not have the urge to upgrade any time soon or at all. I'm pretty sure the only reason that I would buy a Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray discs is if the SD format completely died out. I don't think that will happen, so I don't think I'll be upgrading.
Old 03-31-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Specifically in terms of “upgrading” even an average BR transfer from KINO would be exciting news (I am puzzled how you can claim that they have been holding their ground as aside from Facets they are regarded as the worst in the industry.
You got me. I know my stuff with Criterion & Blue Underground, but flippantly threw in Kino to make it a triplet; based on my rudimentary association of them being the company whose logo is on my FW Murnau & Jan Svankmajer DVDs (oh yeah, they didn't do such a hot job with The Piano Teacher). I guess I should stick to my Blue Underground/Anchor Bay environment, but AB's thrown me off with the Starz thing. Fortunately there have been lots of new companies popping up with obscure international flicks (Mondo Macabro's quite interesting).

Anyway, when in doubt, just assume I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-31-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
One thing I always have wondered, is why they made the DVD cases so large. The HD-DVD and Blu-ray cases are much smaller and more compact, reminiscent of a nicer CD case. Why are they just now using those types of cases? Where were those so many years ago when DVDs first came out?
Because back then they still hadn't made up their minds between keep cases or the godawful cardboard snap cases that plague the majority of the Warner Bros back-catalogue.

WB finally came to their senses. Imagine if last year's Kubrick reissues came in snap cases. *shudder*
Old 03-31-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Because back then they still hadn't made up their minds between keep cases or the godawful cardboard snap cases that plague the majority of the Warner Bros back-catalogue.

WB finally came to their senses. Imagine if last year's Kubrick reissues came in snap cases. *shudder*
Whoever thought those snap cases were a good idea is probably out of a job now. Those were the worst things to ever happen to DVDs. My collection has some of 'em that I can't find without. Very unfortunate, to say the least.
Old 03-31-08, 12:37 AM
Cool New Member

Of late, I was swept up in all the high-def talk and have, in fact, purchased both an HD-DVD player (A2) & a PS3. As amazed as I was by the quality when sitting up close to the screen, I still don't see the point. The Blu-Ray discs are way too expensive, and I just don't see the point in changing formats period.

I have a 46 inch HDTV (which is probably the biggest I'll go), and since I don't sit up real close to the tv, I don't notice any of the so-called "warts" of the dvd format that some complain of. All I see is a beautiful sparkling image. I can't imagine abandoning DVD for a long, long time.
Old 03-31-08, 12:56 AM

I do find myself watching "lesser" entertainment sometimes on the HiDef channels when I have movies on DVD that I enjoy more. Yet, I think that's normal because I like to see the pop of a hi def image and the surround effects. But I did sit down and watch a bunch of the Universal horror titles on dvd this weekend and I kept telling myself how nice that is. When I was 14 I would stay up all night and record the old horror movies onto Betamax tapes (even taking out the commercials)...now I have all of them that I want ina library at my fingertips. It's so easy to get spoiled. I would like to add that I do not look forward to a day of movies on digital downlaod...I enjoy the look and feel of a physical dvd library.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.