Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I think I've hit movie saturation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Nem, what were the last few movies that did make an impression on you?

Whatever they were, I'm guessing you either saw them in the theater, or not so close to viewings of other movies.
Actually I don't remember the last movie I saw in a theater... I think it was Ratatouille (which I thought was ok, didn't bother picking it up on DVD though).

Looking back over my records for this year so far I haven't given anything a 5 and very few 4s. The Mist [watched yesterday or the day before] will probably stay w/ me for awhile (more from the negative/how bad I thought it was than anything else), I Am Legend may as well (which I thought was pretty good), although it may start to "blend" w/ the other movies of that genre/specific story as well. Awake is another one that comes to mind (w/o referring to the records) more from the basic story point (those people who are immune to anesthesia) than anything else though. That sort of things creeps me out more than any sort of hack and slash horror film Most of what I've been watching recently though has been TV on DVD. The notable ones there have been Combat Zone and First Watch season 1.
Old 03-27-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Sounds like your tastes are maturing, but you're still trying to digest the typical Hollywood pap. Might I recommend something outside of your comfort zone?
Old 03-27-08, 06:49 PM

You have piqued my curiosity... what sorts of things would you recommend?
Old 03-27-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you guys are taking the fun out of movie-watching. It shouldn't be a chore that you have to get done. Once you get into that "I need to watch this many by this time/date" mentality, it's not fun anymore. I watch movies when I feel like it. And the type of films I watch strictly depends on my mood. I don't feel compelled to watch anything in particular just because it won awards or is "must-see" for some other reason. I used to do that. I felt like I had to see all the critical favorites and Oscar nominees every year, all the films by certain director's, or all the big classics. But that feels a bit too much like homework to me. I do things strictly on my own terms now. I don't care if a movie wins every big award in existence and everyone on the planet tells me it's the best thing ever - if I don't feel like watching it, then I don't. I also don't have an unwatched movie pile; the only unwatched DVD's I have are whatever I happen to have out from Netflix. And I watch those at my own leisurely pace too. Some weeks I'll kill all 4 rentals in a single day and have them back in the mail the next morning, other times I sit on them for 3 weeks. If it ever gets to where I'm having trouble selecting 4 rentals, or where I'm consistently taking 3 weeks to get through them, then I'll just dial my account back to the 1 or 2 out-at-a-time plan. And I don't know if it's a benefit of being on my own schedule or not, but I never have a problem remembering the movies I see. But memory loss increases with age. My Dad has to watch half an episode of CSI or Perry Mason before he can remember if he's seen it or not. I know within the first minute.
Old 03-27-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I usually manage to 8-10 movies a week. Sometimes I have a tough time recalling what I watch but only when I watch a bunch in a single day.
Old 03-27-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Lately, I tend to fall asleep during movies if I try and watch them during the week. So, I need to do most of my viewing on the weekend, and that cuts down the number of titles I get to see.

I dropped my Blockbuster.com membership down to two per month, and this seems just fine. Most of what I want to see is "long wait" on HD, so it really doesn't matter anyway.
Old 03-28-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
I usually watch a television episode on DVD on work nights. I'll watch a full-length movie on weekend nights, if I have the time.

I can't imagine watching 2-3 movies a day, unless I were completely insomniac.
Old 03-28-08, 08:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I burned myself out of watching movies when I first got my DVD player in '98. I used to watch a movie every other night, and for about 3-4 years, and I think that was the worst thing I could have ever done.

There are two types of movies I enjoy watching: The Classics that I love like Star Wars, Rocky, Back to the Future, The Godfather, etc, as I watch them on DVD whenever I feel like it.

Then there are the 'B' movies that are just fun to watch when they come on HBO, Encore, TBS, TNT, etc, and I got rid of all those DVD's. They are movies like Commando, Scream, Big Trouble in Little China, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Crimson Tide. They are just fun when they are on TV, you catch them in the middle, and go back when there is a good part on.

Whoever said above that if your movie watching becomes a chore, then it is time cool off from buying DVD's. I completed my collection of movies in 2004, and sold all my 'B' movies, and only buy new ones if I really love the movie.

In someways, I miss the old days before I started buying movies, and the Star Wars Trilogy would come on SciFi channel and I would watch it. Movies were alot more special to watch, but now you can watch anything in your library, it actually lost alittle luster. Oh well.
Old 03-28-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I know I have. Also, with videogames & other media as well. I've pretty much realized that I wasn't enjoying things anymore. Just chugging through them to complete them. This is why I've slowed down ALOT. I'm trying to get back to that stage where I actually enjoyed movies, not the collecting aspect. Henceforth, my promise to stay away from DVDTalks bargain section
Old 03-28-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
You have piqued my curiosity... what sorts of things would you recommend?
I don't know you or your tastes well enough to make any sort of meaningful suggestions.

But if you're truly a film fan and not just a guy who watches movies to pass the time, you might want to put some work into researching. Take some of your favorite films, and find other works by those writers and directors you've never seen. Look for some of the movies that have influenced your favorite directors. Are there any reviewers you tend to agree with often? Check out some of the more obscure movies they gave really high marks to.
Old 03-28-08, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know you or your tastes well enough to make any sort of meaningful suggestions.

But if you're truly a film fan and not just a guy who watches movies to pass the time, you might want to put some work into researching. Take some of your favorite films, and find other works by those writers and directors you've never seen. Look for some of the movies that have influenced your favorite directors. Are there any reviewers you tend to agree with often? Check out some of the more obscure movies they gave really high marks to.

Actually I don't see those as being mutually exclusive myself as that's what I do already and where I get the stuff that's in my queues from. That's why is struck me as odd that after only listing 3 movies you were making comments about my tastes and I was curious what it was you thought I was missing
Old 03-28-08, 10:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i think someone would have to put a bullet to my head if i ever got so droned out that i couldn't enjoy watching dvd's anymore. honestly, after a long day in school and on the weekends i look forward to it quite a bit. i strictly watch 'tv on dvd' weeknights and movies on weekends. it really is my one vice for relaxation and enjoyment.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-28-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's why is struck me as odd that after only listing 3 movies you were making comments about my tastes
slop101 may not have your tastes in film down exactly, but let me give it a try. Tell me how far off I am. I'd say you own a lot of TV on DVD, by a lot I'm thinking more than 150 box sets. I think you also watch a lot of Hollywood action and war films. You slip in a few foreign movies (especially Asian), independent films and documentaries here and there, but at least 90% of what you see, and of the discs in your collection, are Hollywood studio films or TV on DVD. How'd I do?
Old 03-28-08, 12:23 PM

You tell me... here's the breakdown:

Code:
Action/Adventure	116	9.5%
Animated		41	3.4%
Comedy			77	6.3%
Documentary		26	2.1%
Drama/Romance		94	7.7%
French			7	0.6%
Hong Kong		135	11.1%
Horror			25	2.1%
Japanese		29	2.4%
Korean			17	1.4%
Martial Arts		43	3.5%
Music / Concerts	17	1.4%
Musicals		13	1.1%
Other			17	1.4%
Religious		45	3.7%
Sci-Fi/Fantasy		100	8.2%
Suspense / Thriller	98	8.0%
TV - Action		24	2.0%
TV - Animated		13	1.1%
TV - Comedy		31	2.5%
TV - Drama		30	2.5%
TV - Mystery		76	6.2%
TV - Other		42	3.4%
TV - Sci-Fi		47	3.9%
War			49	4.0%
Westerns		7	0.6%
Totals	1219	100.0%

Last edited by nemein; 03-28-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was close. . .
Old 03-28-08, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I was close. . .

If anyone really cares here's the whole list.

http://www.geocities.com/nemein.rm/DVD.txt

Personally I like it (obviously otherwise why would I have it )... I have to say I'm a little confused about this became a thread about whether or not I have sufficient tastes for the forum. I was mainly just curious as to how many movies people watch (maybe I should have made that a little clearer though) and whether or not anyone experienced the same sort of I thing I did earlier in the week.
Old 03-28-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have to say I'm a little confused about this became a thread about whether or not I have sufficient tastes for the forum.
I don't think anybody suggested you don't have sufficient tastes for the forum. I am not even suggesting that there's anything necessarily bad about your tastes. I was just seeing whether I had your tastes pegged -- for which the results were mixed.
Old 03-28-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing worse than pissing away 2hrs of your life watching a movie that 48hrs later you can't recall. I've done that a lot, rent stuff over the weekend, and only be able to recall 2 of the 3 flicks I watched. Kinda of a bummer really.
Old 03-28-08, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Nothing worse than pissing away 2hrs of your life watching a movie that 48hrs later you can't recall. I've done that a lot, rent stuff over the weekend, and only be able to recall 2 of the 3 flicks I watched. Kinda of a bummer really.
I disagree... sometimes you've got to work through the chaff to find the wheat. Not all movies are going to be good, and not everyone is going to agree which movies are good, so try things out and see what sticks. Now if you spend time REwatching movies you don't like because you've forgotten you had seen them, that's another story Fortunately I haven't done that yet...
Old 03-28-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree... sometimes you've got to work through the chaff to find the wheat. Not all movies are going to be good, and not everyone is going to agree which movies are good, so try things out and see what sticks. Now if you spend time REwatching movies you don't like because you've forgotten you had seen them, that's another story Fortunately I haven't done that yet...
I've never REwatched a movie, just had those rare occasions where you watch something all the way through and forget about it not too soon afterwards.

A conversation had Monday morning...
Co-worker: What did you do over the weekend?
Me: Watched movies.
Co-worker:What ones.
Me: From Beyond, Shaun of the Dead and one other that I can't remember.

It's 2 hours of a 48hr period that are lost. I just find it interesting.

I've been with friends who've done the REwatch-thing, that's something I've never understood...once you see the poster or hear the name you don't remember that you've seen the flick? Weird.
Old 03-28-08, 03:02 PM
Banned

I reached that saturation point last October during the Horror Movie Challenge, but 2-3 day wouldn't burn me out at all. I go to the theater 3-5 times per week, plus watch at least 2-3 at home. I do think I have wasted a lot of time on bad movies, but you don't know if they're bad until you've seen them (I don't trust any critic or reviewer).
Old 03-28-08, 07:24 PM

I have to say I'm a little confused about this became a thread about whether or not I have sufficient tastes for the forum
If it's not Dogme 95, then sit down and shut yer trap!
Old 03-28-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Man this hits close to home... I got a really great deal on a 46" LCD Sharp then bought an upconverting DVD player. I went through my collection and starting picking out the ones I thought would look great on the new TV and watched as many as I could I was probably up to 3 a day as well, then I moved and really had no idea how many movies I have. Please don't think I am bragging because that is not the intent I am just trying to put it in perspective. There are many here that have way more than I have but I could watch a different DVD everyday for over 2.5 years and not watch the same one. I am at the point now that I can't decide what to watch, then I go through will it look good on the new set, and can't decide so 30-40 minutes later I just decide to watch TV. I get what you are going through and now pretty much watch the DVD's one or two during the week but most on weekends and have cut way down. I am finding that I am actually enjoying them more now that I don't watch as many. Someone posted above that if you make it a chore then that defeats the purpose. I agree with that, I felt like I needed to watch everything at once and could then not remember what I just watched. Too much of a good thing maybe...
Old 03-29-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I think I've hit movie saturation..."

ahhh! sounds lovely actually
Old 03-29-08, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If anyone really cares here's the whole list.

http://www.geocities.com/nemein.rm/DVD.txt
I went through it and you have followed a pattern, with the entertainment bit being key. To freshen up a bit, as Yakuza Bengoshi partially suggested, why don't you make a point in seeing at least 3 films every week for the next month or so that are out of your "comfort zone". Rent something that you would otherwise put aside in favor of a better title.

I typically watch at least one film every night skipping from classics to foreign and back depending on what I am in a mood for. I never play catch up though occasionally if a certain director piques my interest I would rent/buy as much as I could in a week or so to see his/her progression (Kazan being the latest one).

Ciao,
Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.