Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best place to get the most money for my DVDs...?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there fellow DVDtalkers, so I recently picked up a PS3 and am looking at converting over to Blu-Ray now that there is a clear HD format winner. I'm looking at selling off the majority of my DVDs that I rarely watch (About 30 of them are still sealed!) and a few old gaming systems to put the money towards a new Plasma Widescreen TV. Just in your guys experience, what is the best route to go to maximize your Return on assets? Ebay, Half.com, Craigslist, local exchange shops, etc... Any opinions or insight would be helpful, thanks!
Old 02-23-08, 11:44 PM

There's always the Exchange Forum here...

/would be interested to see what you have for offer...
Old 02-24-08, 12:45 AM

eBay right now.
Old 02-24-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I was thinking Ebay or Half.com, do local exchange shops usually give you a fair amount in exchange for sealed DVDs? I mean I have like 20 sealed ones still that I got from Columbia House a while ago...

P.S. - There's a link to my collection on my sig. I've already sold my Transformers Season DVDs off of there though, and haven't updated my DVDprofiler in a while, but thats a fairly close list of what I currently have.
Old 02-24-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
FYE gives some pretty decent prices...plus 25% if you want to purchase something in the store or online.
Old 02-24-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to sell all to one place, newtownvideo.com pays more for less common titles than secondspin and wherehouse do. Just dont try to sell them your really common stuff. They will either be overstocked or will only pay 25 cents or a buck apiece. Your best bet on that stuff is to unload them for $3-4 to people on the Exchange Forum here.
Old 02-24-08, 07:35 AM

Like Dane Marvin said.....3-4 bucks is all you're going to get. It's sad. I tried getting rid of my dvd's but had no luck. Gamestop gives you $1 a piece for them I think. I may just end up giving them to my local library.
Old 02-24-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since they are still sealed, I would definitely go the eBay route. I doubt a local exchange place would give you any premium if they are still sealed, where as an auction might (depending on the title). I'd take a look at the completed items of the DVDs you want to sell to get a feel for what they are going for. Amazon.com marketplace might be worth a shot too.
Old 02-24-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did fairly well with Amazon Marketplace
Old 02-24-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a PS3 (40GB) as well, but I'm not selling any of my DVDs off. If you're selling DVDs you rarely watch or have no interest in seeing again, that's one thing, but don't sell off DVDs you want to upgrade to Blu-ray until the title is available on Blu-ray.

When a new movie is released, I'll be getting it on Blu-ray, but I don't have any plans on replacing my 500+ DVD collection. Of course, Star Wars will always be bought on whatever format that is out at the time. I don't have many movies (a large chunk of my DVD collection is TV on DVD titles) on DVD, so Blu-ray just came at a good time for me. A lot of TV shows and movies will never be released on Blu-ray, so I'm not taking any chances by selling off titles that'll never make it to Blu-ray.

As for selling off your older gaming systems; you might get some good cash for that. I'd personally keep the old gaming systems, but if you're looking to sell, you might get a good result. I don't know what older gaming systems you have, but I don't think you're going to get nearly enough for a Plasma TV.

Just work some overtime or something.
Old 02-24-08, 08:17 PM

This past week, I put up about 24 titles on Half.com and was pleasantly suprised to find half of them sold for pretty decent prices within a few days. It's amazing that someone will pay $5.00 for a title that has been followed up by a much better SE edition that can be had for a couple dollars more but my gain I suppose.

Half.com has my vote at the moment...
Old 02-24-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman
I just got a PS3 (40GB) as well, but I'm not selling any of my DVDs off. If you're selling DVDs you rarely watch or have no interest in seeing again, that's one thing, but don't sell off DVDs you want to upgrade to Blu-ray until the title is available on Blu-ray.

When a new movie is released, I'll be getting it on Blu-ray, but I don't have any plans on replacing my 500+ DVD collection. Of course, Star Wars will always be bought on whatever format that is out at the time. I don't have many movies (a large chunk of my DVD collection is TV on DVD titles) on DVD, so Blu-ray just came at a good time for me. A lot of TV shows and movies will never be released on Blu-ray, so I'm not taking any chances by selling off titles that'll never make it to Blu-ray.

As for selling off your older gaming systems; you might get some good cash for that. I'd personally keep the old gaming systems, but if you're looking to sell, you might get a good result. I don't know what older gaming systems you have, but I don't think you're going to get nearly enough for a Plasma TV.

Just work some overtime or something.
Yeah I'm selling off a lot that I don't watch and don't foresee myself watching anytime soon. I mean come on... roughly 20-30 are still sealed (I went all-out on Columbia House for a time there lol). I'm just having the funds put towards a new TV, I don't expect it to pay for the whole thing!
Old 02-25-08, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just sold 18 DVDs on eBay and compared those with what I would have received if I shipped them to secondspin.com. I would have still made more money with 14 on eBay, 1 was a tie, and 3 I would have received more from secondspin by $4 total. I suggest using eBay, amazon, or half for the DVDs that are fetching decent amounts in the completed auctions on eBay then send the rest to secondspin, wherehouse, or dvdplanet.