DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD's you wish had a commentary? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/525858-dvds-you-wish-had-commentary.html)

OldBoy 02-22-08 12:28 PM

DVD's you wish had a commentary?

especially by the director.

i just watched "Deathproof", "Kill Bill" (Vol. 1 & 2) and really wish these had commentaries by QT. Especially, on KB2, i was sitting there just wondering what he was thinking on certain things and even changed the audio just in case, but alas nothing.

i realy wish these 3 had them. of course we might get them in the future, but that is a whole nother headache and thread.

what DVD releases do you really wish had an audio commentary by anyone knowledgable on the film and would most likely cause more enjoyment of the film??

chris_sc77 02-22-08 12:35 PM

Kill Bill (really all tarantino's films)
THE Darjeeling Limited
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
MAGNOLIA
There WIll Be Blood
A Life Less Ordinary
The Big Lebowski
Sweeney Todd
Southland Tales
The FOuntain
The Prestige
Batman Begins
Lost in Translation
Marie Antoinette
The New World
21 Grams
The Departed
MInority Report
The Edge
True Lies
Short Cuts
Leon: The Professional
The Messenger (joan of ark)

Rammsteinfan 02-22-08 12:56 PM

Any film that doesnt have a director commentary now should have one. ill take one or two. I love commentaries.

Paddy963 02-22-08 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The FOuntain

Isn't there a commentary that was recorded and available to download off the internet somewhere?

dollfins1 02-22-08 01:44 PM

jaws

eedoon 02-22-08 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy963
Isn't there a commentary that was recorded and available to download off the internet somewhere?

Yes. The reason was it was recorded separately... I think because Warner didn't want Aronofsky's commentary in the DVD.

http://www.darrenaronofsky.com/fountain_com.html

lotsofdvds 02-22-08 02:27 PM

South Park: BL&U
Pulp Fiction

SterlingBen 02-22-08 02:30 PM

Night of the Comet
Screamers

alltherage214 02-22-08 02:32 PM

Any of Woody Allen's films.

Randy Miller III 02-22-08 02:36 PM

I'd love to hear a Scorsese track on Taxi Driver (yes, I realize it's on the Criterion LD).

islandclaws 02-22-08 02:42 PM

Blue Velvet.

starman9000 02-22-08 02:55 PM

Strange Brew (in character of course)

Big Lebowski

scottp120 02-22-08 03:07 PM

On the top of my head Zapped. I'm glad it finally came out on DVD, however I would love to hear commentary on it.

MartinBlank 02-22-08 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
South Park: BL&U
Pulp Fiction

:thumbsup:

All Coen Brothers
All Tarantino
All Scorsese
Batman Begins

I hate the commentaries that are just cut & pasted from normal interviews, like Tarantino's "commentary" on True Romance.

mike2 02-22-08 03:54 PM

Departed really needs one
I'm still waiting for a nice special edition for Jurassic Park. Be nice to have a commentary with Spielberg and the cast. Jaws is another one.

andicus 02-22-08 04:02 PM

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Would be great to get a Steve Martin and/or John Hughes commentary. I suspect, now, that it would be a difficult commentary for Steve Martin to get through.

Steve Martin and John Candy would've been killer, but alas... :(

OldBoy 02-22-08 04:43 PM

i don't understand why QT does commentaries for other movies, but not his (sans RD). has he said why he does this?

Dr. Forrester 02-22-08 04:54 PM

Lawrence of Arabia

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'd love to hear a Scorsese track on Taxi Driver (yes, I realize it's on the Criterion LD).

I have that LD and can confirm that it's an awesome track. Truly a pity it didn't make it onto the new CE DVD.

TheMovieman 02-22-08 05:10 PM

Chris Nolan on Batman Begins (and w/ brother Jonah Nolan on The Prestige).

mikelowry 02-22-08 05:15 PM

Yeah Death Proof.

JuryDuty 02-22-08 05:19 PM

I'm still sad that John Ritter died just before Three's Company got put onto DVD. His commentaries on those episodes would have been priceless.

MisterHowie 02-22-08 05:52 PM

Any Speilberg film, Little Children, Painted Veil, Lantana... there are just too many to name.

Dan1boy 02-22-08 06:07 PM

Scent of a Woman...hell, a nice SE would be nice...Pacino did win the Oscar afterall (I think...)

Oh, and Grosse Pointe Blank...

BlueCC 02-22-08 06:11 PM

I wish they all had commentaries. Also, I wish there more TV commentaries.

Carcosa 02-22-08 07:30 PM

Lee and Cushing on ANY of the early Hammer horror films.

ResIpsa 02-22-08 07:39 PM

I'm not a big fan of commentaries by the director since they are usually too involved in the film to be able to offer a broad perspective, but then I prefer the more scholarly "film school" type commentaries. Directors also tend to gush about how this actor was great, that actress was wonderful, etc. All in all, some of the dullest commentaries I have ever sat through were committed by the director (yes, I'm looking at you, Friedkin).

On the other hand, I would love to hear a commentary by David Lynch for one of his films, which will never happen.

Of the films I have recently seen, I would have enjoyed a commentary for "The Naked Kiss" since that film is so over the top (in an Ed Wood sort of way) that I want someone to explain to me how it managed to become a Criterion title.

Simpson Purist 02-22-08 07:41 PM

The Departed
David Fincher on Alien 3
Ratatoulle

Mondo Kane 02-22-08 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Lee and Cushing on ANY of the early Hammer horror films.

Lee's done one for Dracula-Prince of Darkness.

Doc Moonlight 02-22-08 08:24 PM

A HOPE AND GLORY commentary by John Boorman

scarredgod 02-22-08 08:29 PM

Belushi and Aykroyd on Neighbors
Cast on The Burbs
Don Knotts on all his movies
Cast on every Andy Griffith Show
Cast on every Brady Bunch
Cast on Over The Edge
David Lynch on everything, even on other peoples films

chris_sc77 02-22-08 08:43 PM

Heaven's GAte
Gigli
Midnight Run
Stardust
Broken Flowers

mwbmis 02-22-08 09:24 PM

Having listened to the Ronin commentary I wish Frankenheimer hadn't passed away before they finally got around to putting Grand Prix on DVD. I think that one would have been really interesting.

zekeburger1979 02-22-08 11:44 PM

Any Spielberg movie, especially Schindler's List.

DJariya 02-23-08 03:07 AM

All the Walker Texas Ranger TV sets. Don't know why CBS/Paramount didn't want to approach Chuck Norris to do at least 2-3 commentaries per set.

Ocean's 12 and 13 (even though 12 sucked) Does the HD or Blu Ray of 13 actually have commentary though?

Infernal Affairs: I actually have the Megastar release which has Cantonese commentary by the cast and crew, but no subtitles. I don't get why Dragon Dynasty got lazy and just re-packed their Miramax release into the Infernal Affairs trilogy release. Bey Logan should have done a new commetary for it.

OldBoy 02-23-08 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Any Spielberg movie, especially Schindler's List.

:thumbsup:

TheMovieman 02-23-08 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ocean's 12 and 13 (even though 12 sucked) Does the HD or Blu Ray of 13 actually have commentary though?

Yeah, they both have commentaries with Soderbergh and the writers.

bluetoast 02-23-08 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
Ratatoulle

The Ratatouille Blu-ray has commentary, I'm surprised it wasn't included with the regular DVD.

calhoun07 02-23-08 11:34 AM

I rented In the Valley of Elah and was disappointed in the lack of a commentary track.

MichaelMeyers 02-23-08 11:44 AM

Batman Begins
the Big Lebowski
the Departed
Lost in Translation
Mulholland Drive

814am 02-23-08 11:48 AM

Lost In Translation
Virgin Suicides
EVERY EPISODE OF THE WIRE
SIGNS
Bud Cort on Harold And Maude