DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks
Is Dr. Syn anamorphic 1.66:1?
Yes.
Old 11-18-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
However, Leonard Maltin's 1.78:1 introductions on Dr. Syn are non-anamorphic. They did a small aspect ratio demonstration during the intro, so maybe that was the reason, although they could have still done it with the entire screen.
Old 11-19-08, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 455 Likes on 313 Posts
Anyone else notice that the tins this year are different size and shape than ALL the previous years' tins? (By shape, I mean the corner roundings are different.) WTF?
Old 11-19-08, 05:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by R. Hilton
After reading the posts here Tuesday morning and noticing my DVD Planet order had been cancelled I hauled ass down to Best Buy for Dr. Syn. I'm very glad I did now.
Update on my search. Best Buy still hasn't received their re-orders, and I'm doubting they ever will. Made it back to Costco and, while they had plenty of Annette and a few Donalds, I snagged the last copy of Dr. Syn. Whew!
Originally Posted by Todd B.
Anyone else notice that the tins this year are different size and shape than ALL the previous years' tins? (By shape, I mean the corner roundings are different.) WTF?
I haven't decided where or how I'm going to store all the tins yet, in the middle of yet another re-organization. But I'll agree that changing the shape is aggravating. They've put out so many with the same dimensions, why change now?
Old 11-19-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd B.
I don't feel it's that dramatic of a change. What I miss is the disc's number being pressed into the tin. That was cool.
Old 11-19-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I was able to buy all 3 of the WDT at my local Future Shop. No searching involved.
Old 11-26-08, 01:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone who ordered the Donald set online actually received the correct item? Either from BestBuy.com or Amazon?

I ordered from BestBuy.com and originally received the Annette DVD instead of Donald. After calling customer service, they told me to return it to my local store and they would ship me the correct item (Donald). Well, I returned Annette, but I just received the new package from BestBuy.com and sure enough - it's another copy of Annette instead of Donald!

I'm not too sure what to do next. None of the stores around here have it anymore, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of ordering online if it's just going to result in another wrong shipment.
Old 11-26-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by septimus
Has anyone who ordered the Donald set online actually received the correct item? Either from BestBuy.com or Amazon?

I ordered from BestBuy.com and originally received the Annette DVD instead of Donald. After calling customer service, they told me to return it to my local store and they would ship me the correct item (Donald). Well, I returned Annette, but I just received the new package from BestBuy.com and sure enough - it's another copy of Annette instead of Donald!

I'm not too sure what to do next. None of the stores around here have it anymore, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of ordering online if it's just going to result in another wrong shipment.
I ordered Donald last week from Amazon and received the correct one.
Old 11-26-08, 02:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I ordered Donald last week from Amazon and received the correct one.
Well, that's good to hear. I guess I'll try ordering it from there and just keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and they actually sorted the problem out.
Old 11-26-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't be much help here since I ordered both Donald and Annette. I was on the fence about Annette but have really enjoyed it so far. I'm glad I impulse bought it.
Old 11-26-08, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
An update to the BB return process: BB had me reorder Donald, but using this SKU: 9040815. Notice the picture is Annette but product description is Donald. However, I had previously ordered using the SKU 9088747 and received Annette not Donald. As for the 2 for $40 deal, the CSR gave me a credit of $10 after I replaced an order for just Donald. Kind of a mess...but hopefully I'll get the right item this time!

I just received the correct Donald disc today by giving the 9040815 SKU # when I call customer service at bestbuy.com. Bestbuy should ship it free of charge.
Old 11-27-08, 06:33 AM

I only ordered Donald from Amazon.ca and that's what I received so they seem to be O.K.

James
Old 11-27-08, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Received Donald from BB online...used SKU: 9040815. BB granted credit for shipping as well as the 2/$40 deal.
Old 11-29-08, 11:43 PM

I received the Donald DVD on the third try from BB online.

I would like to say that Best Buy really took care of me on this -- after responding negatively to their "product delivery" survey -- I received a phone call from a Customer Advocate Mgr. She assured me the SKU number was corrected now, UPS 2-day delivered it for free, and sent me a $20 digital coupon for my next purchase.

So, Best Buy gets a 10-out-of-10 for customer service from me in this instance.
Old 11-30-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by texasgator
...I would like to say that Best Buy really took care of me...
then you, sir, are fortunately in the minority.
Old 12-03-08, 01:26 PM

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of Dr. Syn in the NYC tri-state area? My husband had back surgery and I wasn't able to get to the stores to pick up a copy. All online store are says "discontinued".

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be devastated if I missed this one after having each and every other one. Thanks!
Old 12-03-08, 04:25 PM

Wow, that has to be the fastest sell out of a Treasures tin ever...a 2-3 week window of availability? Disney seriously underestimated how many people were interested in Dr. Syn.
Old 12-03-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Wow, that has to be the fastest sell out of a Treasures tin ever...a 2-3 week window of availability? Disney seriously underestimated how many people were interested in Dr. Syn.
This was the lowest produced Treasures Wave (39,500 copies) so having difficulty finding one is not surprising.
Old 12-03-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a copy of Dr. Syn on ebay right now bid up to $76.00...with a day yet to go in the auction.

If you don't have this one already, it may not be easy to get it.

Then again, I remember the time I found a new, sealed Mickey Mouse in Living Color at a Tower Records store, while it was selling for $100 in the secondary market.
Old 12-03-08, 06:47 PM

I FOUND TWO!!!!!!!!!!!! HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!

After calling 3 Barnes and Noble, 3 Borders, 4 Best Buys, and 2 FYE, the one in Port Chester, NY had two in stock. I bought both, one for me, one for my baby niece.

It was funny because I had called up and asked the manager to put it aside with my name. When I go up to the cash register, both she and the cashier were trying to talk me out of buying them. They each wanted one. I guess they must have looked up online and seen that nobody had one anywhere.

I thought it was going to be a scary case of lady wrestling there for a minute. LOL LOL Thank god I got them!!!
Old 12-03-08, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

Seeing how popular Dr. Syn obviously is, I'd be very surprised if Disney doesn't put out a standard, non-Treasures release of it soon.

Also, FWIW, I kept the second copy of Annette that was mistakenly sent to me and watched it a few nights ago. For something that I had absolutely no interest in buying (or renting, for that matter), I actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was interesting to see how a lot of the same tropes from contemporary teen dramas were presented 50 years ago.
Old 12-05-08, 01:34 PM

I got a used copy on Spun a couple of days ago for $14.95. I didn't realize this was such a popular title. Personally, I've never seen it.

The Certificate inside is missing it's numbers. It's a legit copy, but I guess there was a misprint. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 12-06-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdugger2
I got a used copy on Spun a couple of days ago for $14.95. I didn't realize this was such a popular title. Personally, I've never seen it.

The Certificate inside is missing it's numbers. It's a legit copy, but I guess there was a misprint. Anyone else have this happen to them?
might be a misprint, but im leaning toward your copy being a promo. i think studios release numbered editions without a number for promos.
Old 12-06-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I bought Dr. Syn during deep discount's sale for like 18.24. Glad I did. I think I might be getting a copy for Christmas, so I'll sell that for a nice profit.

Fastest sell out dvd ever?

Edit: Just bought the last one from walmart.com

4 copies are available at this site for pretty cheap, $26.27 + tax and shipping: http://base.google.com/base/a/428193...19769209606566

$45 at tower http://www.tower.com/walt-disney-tre...wapi/112378566

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 12-06-08 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
Holy crap, had no idea that Syn sold out so fast until I saw review and noticed prices on Amazon. Glad I got mine the week it was out.

Since people are saying Annette is good, I'll probably pick that up too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.