Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Brothers 85th Birthday - You Must Remember This - Major Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts
Happy to see all the Frank Sinatra movies.
Especially the Sinatra-Kelly Collection. I have been holding off buying those DVDs in hope they would be release.
Old 02-07-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Good news on The Beast with Five Fingers - can't wait to see which other titles are included in the horror set. Glad to see that Man with the Golden Arm is (presumably) getting a decent transfer at last.
The mention of Karloff makes me bet The Walking Dead is included. The only other ones I can think of are some Monograms which may still be under copyright like Revenge of the Zombies and Voodoo Man w/Lugosi. I've never seen PD versions of these two. There's still a ton of 1950s Allied Artists stuff to release. Don'y know if they would mix 30s-40s stuff with 50s ones.
Old 02-07-08, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Risky Business came out on dvd in '97 so I guess it isn't a suprise to see a better edition on the horizon. Plus, wouldn't 2008 mark the 25th anniversary?
Old 02-07-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Magificence Ambersons??
Old 02-07-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm all over the new Dirty Harry set. A little disappointing that they didn't have more in the way of horror/sci-fi announcements. Those always seem to be left out in the cold. Still, it sounds like they're going to have a lot to offer this year and I can't wait to see what they have coming.
Old 02-07-08, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I'm all over the new Dirty Harry set. A little disappointing that they didn't have more in the way of horror/sci-fi announcements. Those always seem to be left out in the cold. Still, it sounds like they're going to have a lot to offer this year and I can't wait to see what they have coming.
yet another year without the uncut The Devils
Old 02-07-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm still waiting for The Green Slime. I thought I read that Warner was going to release it as part of the Sci-Fi set on the last chat.
Old 02-07-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,061 Likes on 875 Posts
Maybe Show Boat 1936 will be a subsequent announcement
Old 02-07-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some more info from the digital bits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

--------------------------------------------------------------

"All right... let's talk more Warner Home Video classics. You guys had questions, we've gone and gotten you answers. At least as many as we could. So here goes...

The first concern many of you had after our post yesterday on the studio' big catalog press event, was that it just didn't seem like that many titles were announced. There were fears, accordingly, that perhaps Warner was cutting back on their catalog operations. Rest assured, absolutely not true. As Warner senior VP of classic catalog George Feltenstein told me yesterday during our conference call, Warner is at the forefront of the classic film business and they intend not only to stay there, but even to expand their efforts.

At the press event on Tuesday, some 50 classic titles were hinted at from the Warner library, because the event was designed to focus on the Warner 85th Anniversary. However, I'm told that what was announced is "just the tip of the iceberg." The studio didn't want to give away EVERYTHING that they plan to do for the year, so there are still plenty of surprises to be revealed. All those titles that the studio has said in the past are coming (for example in recent Home Theater Forum chats) are STILL coming, sooner or later. Not the least of what's also coming includes "dozens and dozens" of new-to-DVD classic titles from the other film libraries Warner owns, including older MGM titles and films from RKO, Allied Artists, etc.

Here's something exciting that I learned yesterday: It's Warner's goal (by mid to late summer) that going forward, EVERY TIME they issue a new catalog special edition on standard DVD, the title will also available day-and-date on Blu-ray Disc as well. George wanted to stress Warner's absolute commitment to Blu-ray, not just on the new release front but with catalog material too. They don't want situations where people have to wonder, "Should I buy the DVD now or should I wait for a Blu-ray version?" of a classic title. They intend for that choice to be available day-and-date with every new restoration/special edition release they do. Warner doesn't want there to BE a wait.

One of the biggest issues they've had to deal with is something that all the Hollywood studios are discovering with their catalog titles: The previous 1080i films transfers they've done just aren't good enough to release on Blu-ray. So they're having to go back and do all-new 1080p transfers for Blu-ray release. That amounts to four or five years of work that needs to be redone in some cases, and that obviously takes time, because Warner - probably more than any other studio - is determined to do it right.

In terms of the specific titles I was able to confirm are coming to Blu-ray, here's what I can tell you: Bonnie and Clyde will be available in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD (both in the Ultimate Collector's Edition versions). All five Dirty Harry films will also be available in Blu-ray disc (but not HD-DVD - this corrects an error in our original Tuesday post). The Batman Begins: Ultimate Collector's Edition will be released in Blu-ray this year, and it will have everything that was on the HD-DVD release and possibly more. Warner is at work on bringing the rest of the Batman live-action films (from their previous Batman Anthology on DVD) to Blu-ray, but that might take longer. Rest assured, though, they are in the works. Other titles announced at the event and confirmed for Blu-ray are How the West Was Won, Gigi (a full 4K restoration) and An American in Paris (the first new Ultra Resolution restoration on Blu-ray). In fact, going forward, any time the studio completes a new Ultra Resolution restoration, you can expect both a DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of the title in question. The A Christmas Story: Ultimate Collector's Edition may also be released in Blu-ray, but they're still planning what new extras are going to be created for the release (and the film itself is already on Blu-ray). Many additional Blu-ray Disc catalog titles are still yet to be announced, but rest assured that there are more coming.

For example, those of you who have been upset about the fact that certain key classic (and newer catalog) titles were released on HD-DVD, but still haven't been released on Blu-ray, needn't worry. They're ALL coming to Blu-ray in the months ahead. Think Mutiny on the Bounty, Forbidden Planet, Casablanca, Excalibur, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Grand Prix, V for Vendetta. Yes, all of The Matrix films are coming. The first of these previously HD-DVD exclusive titles hat you're likely to see on Blu-ray very soon is The Adventures of Robin Hood, a title for which the Blu-ray "disc image" is already complete.

As for other titles, yes... Clash of the Titans is coming. Heat needs a new 1080p transfer, but director Michael Mann has agreed to supervise one, so as soon as the studio can get the work finished properly, you'll see that title released on Blu-ray. Twister is coming to Blu-ray (and HD-DVD, both in May). As for those titles we mentioned yesterday that are going on moratorium (The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest), the moratorium begins at the end of February, and then they'll come back to DVD - and be all-new on Blu-ray - in 2009. Better still, I learned of an additional major classic catalog title that you can look forward to on Blu-ray in 2009, just in time to celebrate the film's 50th anniversary... Ben-Hur (though no moratorium on the standard DVD is planned). After all, as George told me (and I could tell he was smiling when he said it), "How better to celebrate a milestone like that than by watching the chariot race in 1080p?" George Feltenstein, some of you will be happy to learn, is as big a fan of these classic films as anyone... and NO ONE knows them better. Those of you familiar with George from his HTF chats (not to mention our own past interviews with him) will know what I'm talking about. He's EXACTLY the guy you'd want helping to oversee the release of classic titles on disc at a studio like Warner.

Some other stuff worth mentioning...

One of the challenges Warner faces in releasing its classic titles on Blu-ray, is one of expectations. Warner is obviously spending lots of time and money to complete their classic film restorations, in order to get these films looking terrific on DVD and Blu-ray. But no matter how much time and money the studio puts into them, the reality is that classic films are never going to look as good in 1080p as brand new films, or CG titles like Cars. But many who watch these discs don't fully understand that. It's something we've already heard from even a few experienced DVD watchers in recent months. There were some people, for example, who were initially surprised and disappointed at the look on Blu-ray of Sony's Close Encounters. We got more than a few e-mails saying, "Why is there so much grain!?" But savvy cinephiles knew that what they were seeing on Blu-ray was truly special: The film looking better than they'd ever seen it before, even back during its original theatrical run in 1977. People need to understand that classic films are only going to look as good in 1080p as the elements allow. You're going to see grain and other issues. But they're supposed to be there - it's part of the experience. The whole idea behind releasing classic films in high-definition is NOT to make them look like a new CG film, but to recreate the best original experience of seeing these films in an actual theatre. It's not about creating perfect, but rather perfectly right. Because of these initial unrealistic expectations, Warner has decided to delay the release of Clash of the Titans a few months. People have the expectation of perfection right now - perfect images are what's selling high-definition. Clash of the Titans looks perfect for what it is, and again a lot of time and money was spent to make it look as good as it can be. But it's not going to stack up against, say I Am Legend or The Matrix, so the studio is holding it back for a little while. In general, however, you should know that whenever Warner delays the release of a classic title, it's usually because the studio wants to get it right and really wants to take the extra time to get it there. They won't release ANYTHING before it's ready.

The other issue facing the studio right now, is that catalog sales are down a bit, and particularly on high-def, catalog sales aren't what's driving the early growth of the format. Just as it was in the early days of DVD, most early adopters and A/V enthusiasts all seem to want action films and science fiction and other dazzling eye candy to show off their displays and other equipment. It's new releases that are selling the highest. So the bottom line is that those of you who want more classic catalog on Blu-ray (and DVD for that matter), need to all get out there and support the titles that do come out. Buy them and show the studio that classic film fans are willing to justify the effort and expense involved in releasing them. Rest assured, however, that Warner is totally committed to not only continuing its catalog efforts on DVD, but also expanding them to Blu-ray as well. Lots of great titles are on the way.

Finally, there was one other concern many of you Blu-ray enthusiasts had for Warner. Specifically, a lot of you said you wanted to studio to start including uncompressed audio on ALL Blu-ray Disc releases, both new and catalog. Rest assured, the right people have heard your concern (naturally, George was already aware of it) and you can safely assume that the studio intends to start addressing it in the near future.

That's all for now. Stay tuned..."
Old 02-07-08, 03:22 PM

An American in Paris in HD!!

This will be one of the titles push me to get a Blu-ray player.

(the other one will be Lawrence of Arabia...)
Old 02-07-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been supporting the classics on HD DVD and Blu-ray and I will continue to support them. About all I'm looking forward to in the next couple of months is the Bonnie and Clyde BD. Glad to see Warner committed to bringing out their classics on BD despite the weak sales.
Old 02-07-08, 06:56 PM

Running On Empty needs a new release, too. The old one is full frame and awful...and lacks a Sidney Lumet commentary!

I'm very hopeful that the MGM releases Warner is planning includes a big old promotion of silent films. From the major ones like more Lon Chaney, The Wind, The Scarlet Letter, and two big King Vidor films, to the lesser known ones like the obscure Vidor films (really, the man's silent MGM output deserves its own box...and Warner must own a few more of his sound films!), Student Prince of Old Heidelberg, and Benjamin Christensen's American films (I am very curious to see what one of the pioneers of Scandinavian; and European cinema in general, did in Hollywood). And hopefully all progressive transfers, unlike the first Chaney box, the Keaton box, and Ben Hur.

Last edited by AGameWithStones; 02-07-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 12:13 AM

Still no news on "No Time For Sergeants"...
Old 02-08-08, 01:57 AM

Hoping some of the silents Warners holds gets released: Greed, The Wind, The Crowd.

And Zabriske Point (airing on TCM in March!)
Old 02-08-08, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the digitalbits
But no matter how much time and money the studio puts into them, the reality is that classic films are never going to look as good in 1080p as brand new films, or CG titles like Cars.
*coughbullshit*cough
Old 02-08-08, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yay, finally hopefully a fully restored version of 'Woodstock'. the current version looks like shit.
Old 02-08-08, 08:09 AM

Am I the only one who cares more about WB releasing new titles than releasing the same old titles again (even if they're in HD)? We need to get as many classic films out on DVD as possible, because it's unlikely that any of the more obscure films will justify the cost of a Blu-Ray release.
Old 02-08-08, 07:59 PM

Hot damn!

The Bonnie & Clyde/Dirty Harry UCE's and Batman Begins gift set will all be mine.

Oh yes.
Old 02-08-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,061 Likes on 875 Posts
Originally Posted by indy81
Am I the only one who cares more about WB releasing new titles than releasing the same old titles again (even if they're in HD)? We need to get as many classic films out on DVD as possible, because it's unlikely that any of the more obscure films will justify the cost of a Blu-Ray release.
Would love to see it but some of those might linger in limbo till there's a lower-cost delivery solution like on demand (wrong product for the wrong crowd, though) or burn on demand
Old 02-17-08, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clash of the titans will be awesome