GLADIATOR DVD Question

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

GLADIATOR DVD Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After weighing my options, i decided to get the Extended Ed. Think I'll pick up the Signature Collection later (ebay I guess) for the DTS Track. Thanks mr. b_dvd for your in depth comparison. It sure helps.

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
I loved this movie so much I bought I think every US release of it. I bought it on VHS when it first came out (I didn't have a DVD player yet), and when I got a dvd player, I picked up the single disc. I had always wanted the Signature Selection one, and I picked it up off EBay when I couldn't find it in stores anymore. And yes, when the Extended Edition came out, I picked that one up too. I've since given away the VHS and Single disc version.

You did not give enough information when you asked the question. What do you like most, picture quality, sound, extras, nice packaging. Do you have a problem with double dipping, or are you dead set on just having one copy of a film.

If picture and sound are more important, then I'd say the Signature Selection. That is of course if you have the hardware to notice the difference. There is a review here on the Extended Edition, and it compares it directly to the Signature Selection. The Signature Selection shows a slightly better picture. The Extended Edition is still a good transfer, but the Signature Selection had a bit more detail; that is of course if you have the hardware though to notice. The Signature Selection also has the much coveted (to some) DTS Track that is missing from the Extended Edition. If DTS is not that important to you, or if 5.1 Digital is just as good to you as DTS, then either one would work for you.

If you are a fan of unique or different packaging, then I guess the Extended Edition would win here because it is a digipack with some great artwork on the packaging, and it is not just a simple two-disc amaray case like the Signature Selection.

As far as extras go, of course the Extended Edition would win hands down because it has two discs of extras compared to one disc of extras on the Signature Selection. If you are a big fan of extras, then you would probably want both copies.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for or are into, and if you are intent on just having one copy of the movie. I think the reviewer for the Extended Edition suggested renting it to check out the extras, but the Signature Selection was the one to get and the Signature Selection got the highest rating on this website. If you are one that looks at extras only once, and you don't want to double dip, then you could rent/borrow the Extended Edition to look at all the extras on it, see both versions of the film, and then pick up the DTS Signature Selection one to keep in the collection and watch the version that is supposed to have the better picture and sound than the other one. Once this movie goes HD and/or Blue, however, all bets are off.

Thanks for the question, by the way. Like I said, I already have both copies, and I recently (like three or four days ago) put in the Signature Selection in to watch again just because I had been thinking about this movie for the last few weeks. I had also been wondering which of these two was better, so I read the reviews on here to see. I was kind of shocked that the Signature Selection was the version that was recommended over the Extended Edition; I would have thought the newest release with all it's extras would have had the better review. They Extended Edition got a great review, but the Signature Selection was the one that got the win out of the two (according to one reviewer). Interesting reading, you should check 'em out.

And like post #6 said above, if you go with the Signature Selection, make sure you are getting the two disc Signature Selection and not the standard single disc version. They share the same photo and layout on the front and back, but the single disc version is missing the DTS Desgination on top, it does not say Signature Selection, and it is missing the signature. They look identical to the untrained eye. I'd be curious also to see what your final decision is.