Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

MST3K Library Changing Hands

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Yep, it is. Just a little ways up on this page he thanks people for pointing that out to him.
Old 02-02-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Shout got us Freaks And Geeks & My So-Called Life with all the original music intact, and got the majority of the rights for SCTV cleared as well. I think they'll be likely to get the majority of the rights issues taken care of.
Those sets were also very expensive when released. If they go the route of clearing rights to all of them and do complete season sets the cost would probably kill any possible sales.
Old 02-02-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,415 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
What would you have them do then for the movies that are already out there (and many out of print).

I'd just hate to see them release boxsets of their own that, say, mixed two never before released eps with two that were previously released by Rhino. I'd really hate having to buy duplicates like that. I'd really prefer if they went back to what Rhino did originally and release single discs. It's easier to fill in gaps in the Rhino collection, and it's easier to buy them one at a time, than in bigger boxes. Plus, there was always somebody that would complain about one of the movies in the Rhino four-of sets, single disc releases would be better for them.
Old 02-02-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, I would rather take a four-disc set I can pick up in a DDD 20% sale at $25 than a single-disc that would usually cost $14 most of the time.
Old 02-02-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'd really prefer if they went back to what Rhino did originally and release single discs.
I believe I read that the reason Rhino made that switch is because retailers hated carrying the single discs but were much more keen on them being collected in sets.
Old 02-02-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Why not do each season in order, but in 4-5 show "volumes". Pricing would be kept under control and season completists would be able to have a proper release. Rhino's box sets were always just random collections of episodes anyhow. They never had any particular theme.
Old 02-02-08, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe this has been mentioned here yet... but in regards to double dipping with the current Rhino MST3K releases, the following was posted on Shout Factory's forum by manager/producer, Brian Ward:

We were extremely excited to pick this title up. Shout! Factory is a great home for MST3K and its fans (of which I'm included). The beauty of it is that I own all 12 of the sets, as well, and, therefore, know EXACTLY what I would like to do differently. And there's plenty.

But we're still coming down off the high of acquiring the series and are just now beginning to really plan out our schedule. I can tell you that we're in no way interested in following up the Rhino releases with stuff they've already put out there. We don't like to double dip, if at all possible. Secondly, those original episodes have been thrown about the conference table in conversation. We'd love to find a way to include stuff from that first season, but we can't make any promises.

We're looking into everything. We're going to have fun with this series. MST3K has never really been handled the way it should've been. We know that and we're hoping to remedy it ASAP.

Stay tuned...

Brian
Source: http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/570/thread.aspx

When he mentions "original episodes", he was answering a question about if they'd ever release any of the early "Season 0" KTMA episodes.

Good to know he's fan, and is aware of the current status of the MST3K releases that are in existence, and has ideas on how to improve them...

FYI: He has an earlier post in that thread where he talks about how season sets aren't really feasible for them to release.
Old 02-02-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,415 Likes on 1,036 Posts
To be honest, season sets aren't a dealbreaker for me at all. The only real "story arc" was with the host segments, esp when Pearl was pursuing the SOL, and those could be released separately if there was really a demand for them.

Really good to hear that Shout! doesn't want to double dip. When he talks about "never been handled the way it should have been", it makes me wonder if means like Rhino's seemingly random boxsets, or with regards to extras and such? I wouldn't mind seeing more discs with the original movie included if that's at all possible.
Old 02-02-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Why not do each season in order, but in 4-5 show "volumes". Pricing would be kept under control and season completists would be able to have a proper release. Rhino's box sets were always just random collections of episodes anyhow. They never had any particular theme.
There is simply no way Shout Factory can do this. There are many episodes that are too expensive and many that are impossible to get licensed at all.

I think Shout Factory will do a better job with extras and presentation, but they will have the same licensing problems Rhino had with this series. Nothing is changing there.

I'm glad they are at least not double dipping on Rhino released episodes.
Old 02-03-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KOROVAMILK
And I suppose complete seasons sets will be at a cheap price?...

With the Rhino sets being $35 to $40 for four feature length episodes... sounds pretty unreasonably priced to me...
Actually, they may be cheaper than you think. In the past Rhino has charged way too much money for their DVDs. Transformers was $50 when it had only 16 episodes on the first season. The 2 seasons of The Monkees was around $80 a piece. And if I remember correctly G.I. Joe was also $50 a piece. And these things were never on sale.

So far, Shout Factory is pretty good on their prices.
Old 02-14-08, 10:26 PM

BTW, didn't see anyone mention this, although it has probably been mentioned somewhere, but the movie is coming back into print in May. Amazon has it for pre-order...

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Scienc...3049114&sr=1-1
Old 02-14-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Those sets were also very expensive when released.
Bingo. Shout does things right, but that means anyone hoping for hard-to-get film rights at cheaper price points than what Rhino offered is dreaming.
Old 04-29-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone heard anymore news on this? I'm interested in seeing what their first batch of titles will be.
Old 04-29-08, 10:01 PM

I don't like this news because it will probably mean different spine artwork. I have volumes 1-12 (including the first vol 10 with the Godzilla movie), and all the artwork is the same on the spines. I hate it when they change spine artwork!
Old 04-29-08, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by big e
Has anyone heard anymore news on this? I'm interested in seeing what their first batch of titles will be.
The going theory on the main MST3K forum is that the titles for the Shout! set will be announced this summer (maybe even as late as August).

This is totally conjecture but I suspect they may wait until the fall to release. On one of the Shout! boards, the guy representing the project (in some form) hinted that there will be a Season 7 episode (my best guess is Night of the Blood Beast) on the set.
Old 05-06-08, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by SightandSound
The going theory on the main MST3K forum is that the titles for the Shout! set will be announced this summer (maybe even as late as August).

This is totally conjecture but I suspect they may wait until the fall to release. On one of the Shout! boards, the guy representing the project (in some form) hinted that there will be a Season 7 episode (my best guess is Night of the Blood Beast) on the set.
Oh please oh please oh please let that be true! That's the episode with two different sets of host segments, one for Turkey Day (that was only aired once) and then the regular segments. NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST with both sets of segments would be absolutely dreamy.