Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Profiler or DVD Spot?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: DVD Profiler or DVD Spot?
The Profiler...
49.64%
The Spot...
50.36%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-08, 04:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

and why...

I have both of these pretty active. I used to love DVD Profiler (with paid membership) until they upgraded and my Windows Me ass was held back from joining the XP fun.

Then, I went to DVD Spot and really do like it a lot, but it is kinda basic and missed all the features of Profiler.

Now, as I am using a different PC for awhile I have the new Profiler, but because this PC is not loaded with memory it frequently crashes the system and it takes me an hour just to add 1 DVD. But I still do love its features and especially how my collection looks online.

DVD Spot while good does have that free, cheapie feeling, but really nothing against it as it is a very good collection program.

So with that I am wondering for those who have both or had both at some time which you prefer overall and why. When I get settled in my new place I am wondering if I should keep the Profiler and upgrade my PC or just stick with DVD Spot and continue my ancient PC ways.

This isn't going to be a "what collection program is best thread" and thus only 2 options in the poll. I really just want to know which is the better collector of the two.
Old 01-21-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to use Profiler, years ago, but I hated having to upload my entire collection every time I bought a new DVD, or made a change. It always seemed to take forever. I didn't really like how it looked either. I've used lots of other sites, but never found one I like as much as DVDSpot.

Rob
Old 01-21-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I like DVD Spot. I just don't care for the setup on Profiler.
Old 01-21-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think DVD Spot is better in that it has a better aesthetic layout of one's movie collection.

DVD Profiler only has the advantage that it has almost every single DVD from all over the world. In comparison, DVD Spot has a smaller database of Non-Region 1 titles, since I've spent most of my time adding Non-Region 1 DVD titles to DVD Spot, while DVD Profiler already has the most random DVD from any country..
Old 01-21-08, 04:59 PM

I like dvdspot because of the price and because I can modify my collection from anywhere.

It definitely meets my needs.
Old 01-21-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I still prefer DVD Profiler. I tried DVD Spot and its nice and has some features I wish DVDP had (like the number of people who own that title) but the functions on DVDP appealed to me more and was worth the money.
Old 01-21-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used DVD Profiler since the beginning. The functionality just can't be beat. Initial setup is a pain, especially if you have a large collection (I've had to rebuild my collection a few times, due to my neglect for keeping regular backups).

That being said, DVD Profiler really needs to improve its online functionality. DVD Spot is far superior in that respect.
Old 01-21-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

while i have never tried DVD Spot, i see no reason to migrate from DVD Profiler. each released version improves on the previous. until OS X has a reasonable replacement, this program is one of the main reasons is still run windows in a virtual machine.
Old 01-21-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have my collection on both (although I need to update my collection on DVD Spot.) To answer your question, I will pose a scenario:

If DVD Profiler suddenly went away, I would be very angry, dismayed, and did I say angry? If DVD Spot went away, I wouldn't care.

For me, DVD Profiler has it all. The look, an almost complete database, and features that are really important to me. I enter the purchase date, purchase price, and purchase place for every DVD I own. I sort my collection by purchase date. I know DVD Spot has this functionality, but it's not as handy as DVD Profiler. The big big thing for me is the ability to export to excel (via xml with the new version). I keep track of what titles I've watched, special features, and easter eggs, and it is so easy (especially now by linking to the xml) to keep track of that with hardly any maintaining by myself.

Finally, the graphs, charts, reports, etc... are very cool in DVD Profiler. The one thing that DVD Spot has is the top directors/actors/etc... stats that DVD Profiler doesn't have.
Old 01-21-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I like DVD Spot. I just don't care for the setup on Profiler.
Same here...
Old 01-21-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I like DVDSpot better, not really sure why, probably cause it's an actual site not a program that will later post to a site.
Old 01-21-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I like DVDSpot better, not really sure why, probably cause it's an actual site not a program that will later post to a site.
It's funny. A lot of the reasons why people say they like DVDSpot are exactly opposite of my preferences and why I prefer DVD Profiler. Personally, I don't like rummaging around through HTML, having it on a website, and having to go through different links to get to your collection, etc... I like having it local on my computer and not have to deal with all that. Oh well, if everyone liked the same things and thought the same, life would be pretty boring!
Old 01-21-08, 09:59 PM
Cool New Member

i have never used dvd profiler, how ever i do use dvdspot and so far i like it, plus i find it very easy to use.
Old 01-21-08, 10:17 PM

dvdspot, and i still use dvd aficionado incase one of them ever got deleted
Old 01-21-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Profiler: much more flexible and with a substantially larger amount of non-R1 discs than any other program out there.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-21-08, 10:34 PM

DVDSpot: Because I am a cheap bastard and proud of it...

/good enough + free > better + $30
Old 01-21-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used Profiler for years and then when my buying slowed down and they started charging I just stopped using a program all together. I then found Spot being talked about here and started using it. I love it. It's free, can update it from anywhere, can add your own custom filters easily, can personalize easily, etc.
Old 01-22-08, 04:43 AM

When I was leavind dvdaf, I was choosing between Spot and Profiler and chose Spot because I liked its look while disliking Profiler's. Still I'm very pleased with Spot, only some things seem inconvenient. But this thread made me think that maybe Profiler, in spite of its looks, is better and has more features and can meet my needs better. Maybe someone who has a history of using Profiler could post some of its pluses and minuses? Here're advantages and shortcomings of Spot as I see them:

+ looks
possibilty to search a DVD by its UPC
nice individual title pages with all the info
convenient submitting system
nice system of filters
owned, wishlist, watched, whatever...
sweet statistics feature (both general and your own)

- country of film's origin is not mentioned on a film's page
while seeing how many people also own particular DVD, you can't see
who exactly does
searching for 'saw' I don't need getting 'The Last Time I Saw Paris' or 'The
Lost Treasure of Sawtooth Island'
no possibility to zoom DVD cover
Old 01-22-08, 05:40 AM

DVD Profiler.

For the very simple reason that my collection is always on my computer. I can do everything without having to go online.

I don't care for web-based collections simply because if I can't get online for some reason I wouldn't even be able to do a simple thing such as add a DVD I just bought
Old 01-22-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been using DVD Profiler for years but I always checked out the other options when they popped up. I always end up coming back to DVD Profiler and I paid for it years ago. It might be missing a few features but I like the interface and the functions it does have. Even with all the trauma the program had some time ago I stuck with the program and I am very happy I did.
Old 01-22-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would say dvd spot since thats the one I have been using.
Old 01-22-08, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
DVDSpot: Because I am a cheap bastard and proud of it...

/good enough + free > better + $30
It should be noted that there is still a free version of DVD Profiler. While it's true that you have to pay to have access to many of the features and the online services, if you just want to keep an inventory of your DVDs on your computer, the free version of the software is still available to meet that need. (I'm only mentioning this because I think there is a misconception among some that when DVD Profiler did their last major upgrade, they eliminated the free version.)
Old 01-22-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVDSpot. It allows me to do everything I have ever wanted from one free program. I haven't looked at DVDP for years,and I'm sure it has the same features, but DVDSpot allows me to:

Sort and display my collection to online friends EXACTLY as it is on my shelf (i.e. Dirty Harry's together etc.).

Export to Excel and print a report exactly as it is on the shelf (great for locating missing movies).

Print (using Firefox) a detailed full color photo list of my collection so I can peruse my DVDs while never having to get off my fat ass.

Add movies from work or anywhere (I stop off at Best Buy on the way to work Tuesdays)

Again, all for free

Last edited by DeputyDave; 01-22-08 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
DVDSpot rocks. My favorite feature is the top stats page. I love knowing things like who my top actor is, top director and what years I own the most films from. It's a very easy to use site and the ability to easily upgrade and add new titles to the system make it very user friendly. The only other site that was that cool was the now-defunct Guzzlefish.
Old 01-22-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
I used to use Profiler, years ago, but I hated having to upload my entire collection every time I bought a new DVD, or made a change. It always seemed to take forever. I didn't really like how it looked either. I've used lots of other sites, but never found one I like as much as DVDSpot.

Rob
It takes about 2 seconds to upload your collection now. Much faster than it used to be.

Needless to say I use and like Profiler. Never checked out Spot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.