Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Profiler or DVD Spot?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: DVD Profiler or DVD Spot?
The Profiler...
49.64%
The Spot...
50.36%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

DVD Profiler or DVD Spot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
REAL Charger fans use DVDSpot.
In fact I think it's LTs favorite DVD organizer.
Old 01-22-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I also don't like how DVD Profiler doesn't have some of the stuff in my collection. Like the 40 Year Old Virgin 2 disc. It's not on there. Maybe it's under a UPC code and something weird title wise, but I haven't checked the UPC code yet. And it's too anal about what you type in. On DVDSpot you can type in ANY word from the title and it will find it for you. On DVDProfiler you have to type in the exact title.
Old 01-22-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I also don't like how DVD Profiler doesn't have some of the stuff in my collection. Like the 40 Year Old Virgin 2 disc. It's not on there. Maybe it's under a UPC code and something weird title wise, but I haven't checked the UPC code yet. And it's too anal about what you type in. On DVDSpot you can type in ANY word from the title and it will find it for you. On DVDProfiler you have to type in the exact title.
I ONLY put in by UPC, I want the exact disc(s) in my database. I never add anything into the owned section by title. However, that's my prerogative, and if you do want to add by title you can check "full substring search", and you can just type in part of the title. I do this for my "ordered" items, then verify the UPC when I get the disc.

As for it not being in the database. I have far more DVDs that aren't in DVD Spot than Profiler. For both, you can always add them yourself if it's not in there I will admit that submitting for DVD Spot seemed easier (it's been a while), because you can basically submit a "clone" of another version and just say the UPC is different if it is the same as one already in the database.
Old 01-22-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Profiler for me. I like it that I have my collection on my computer and online and also that I can add DVDs that are not available in the online database and keep them local or submit them to the online database. Great way to manage your collection. You can change titles if you don't like the way they are in the database, you can also put in a sort title if you like, that way you can keep for example Halloween 1,2,3,4 in order. The upload time for your collection is alot faster than it used to be, which is nice.

Thumbs up for DVD Profiler.

Dirk
Old 01-22-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDSpot for my online one as it's so simple to add titles and submit new ones. I love the "people who own" and personal stats, as well as the filter and sorting options. For offline I couldn't live without Collectorz Movie Collector which allows for customization of fields, layouts, templates, exporting and importing of full data from multiple sources like IMDB, Amazon, DVDempire, etc.
Old 01-22-08, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use DVDSpot. I wanted a web-based DB not program based due to small memory capacity on my older PC. I also didn't want to pay a whole lot of $$ $30 is OK but for my purposes of tracking my collection, I wanted low budget. Before I found them I had been exclusively DVDAF but was tired of the lag-time between database updates for new releases.

Some day I may purchase a profiler subscription to have the advantage of having access offline, but for now I am very pleased with DVDSpot.

One thing to remember about DVDSpot (which might disappoint some who don't care) is they DO NOT include Bootleg titles in the Database. If something is considered a bootleg or illegal copy they delete it from the database if it sneaks on. This is part of the reason some non-region 1 titles don't appear, also the fact that most (not all) of the members are in the US or Canada.
Old 01-22-08, 04:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
wow! talk about a close call.
Old 01-22-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer Profiler. I use both though. I always remember to put my titles in Profiler. Can't say the same with Spot. Offline workablility is what got me.
Old 01-23-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I like DVD Spot. I just don't care for the setup on Profiler.
Old 01-25-08, 07:38 AM

DVDTracker?

I use to use it but it seems recent releases were not added regularily.
Old 01-25-08, 04:27 PM

dvdspot here
Old 01-25-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
DVD Profiler without a doubt.
Old 01-26-08, 12:15 AM

I use both, I think they compliment each other. Profiler is more powerful while you can access Spot from anywhere.
Old 01-26-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to use Profiler exclusively, but I got tired of the little things that aggravated me. Right now I use Spot and DVD Af, and I couldn't be happier. I love the new way DVD Af is setup, and I love being able to edit my collection on either from any computer, anywhere.
Old 01-27-08, 02:58 PM

I've used Profiler for many years (for free) but I am in the process converting my 2600+ collection over to DVD Spot. It's much easier to create and edit disc as the approval time is only a few hours. I like option of multiple cover arts for the same UPC if there is an updated cover art for a disc and such. Overall, its less of a hassle to use Spot over profiler.
Old 01-27-08, 03:03 PM
Banned

DVD spot for me. Great organizer site.