DVD Savant has posted this advanced review of the set:

Street Date January 29, 2008

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2493cid.html

The sound appears to be Dolby 5.1.

Last edited by baracine; 01-15-08 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Faulty title
Old 01-15-08, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to copy the review but it didn't work the first time...

Weinstein's Limited Collector's Edition of El Cid looks stunning in a new enhanced transfer. Savant saw the film in its 1993 70mm restoration, and while DVD can't match 70mm for detail, the colors overall have been smoothed out considerably. Criterion released a pricey laserdisc in the middle 1990s. Even it showed considerable dirt and damage, but this new release seems to have corrected most of it. In only a few shots are the colors flat, and a couple of slightly out-of-focus angles may have always been that way. 5

The Weinstein Brothers have dedicated El Cid to their mother by inaugurating "The Miriam Collection", a branded line given prominence in logos and on the disc cover. The disc extras are definitely worth bringing home to mother. The Limited Collector's Edition comes in a handsome beige box. In it one finds the Two Disc Deluxe Edition, which contains the following attractions:

The commentary is with Samuel Bronston's son William, and Neal Rosendorf, a historian and author of a Bronston biography. It's naturally very long and discusses much more than the movie at hand. After a while, we do tire of the pair's endless superlatives for the movie, which is an excellent epic but not the pinnacle of 20th century art. The discussion keeps coming back to Bronston's dealings with Franco and DuPont, hinting at darker doings without connecting the dots.

Radio promo interviews from 1961 present Charlton Heston, Sophia Loren and Heston's wife Lydia answering questions about the historical background of the characters and their approach to their roles. Disc one finishes with text filmographies and a still gallery.

Disc two has the long-form featurettes, all of which are new. Hollywood Conquers Spain: The Making of An Epic (23:56) uses behind-the-scenes stills and film (much of it from other Bronston epics) to chart the massive production, described by C. O. Doc Erickson as 'leaking money in all directions.' The testimony pretty much indicts writer-dealmaker Philip Yordan and Associate Producer Michal Waszynski as using the Bronston shows to line their own pockets. Samuel Bronston: The Epic Journey of a Dreamer (52:20) retraces the producer's entire life, with input from his biographers Neal Rosendorf and Mel Martin, as well as Bronston's son, other relatives and Ben Barzman's widow Norma. The producer comes off as a sort of benign wheeler-dealer, dealing in huge amounts of money and never using his position to amass riches -- something that cannot be said about some of his closest confederates.

Behind The Camera: Anthony Mann and El Cid (17:22) is an okay look at a career that began in the cheapest studios in Hollywood and eventually led to two of the biggest productions ever assembled. Anthony Mann's previous work is only lightly sketched but viewers already familiar with the director will enjoy seeing excerpts from a rare TV interview made not long before his sudden death in 1967. Miklos Rozsa: Maestro of the Movies (30:11) presents an overview of one of the most respected film composers. It concludes with several inspirational and touching memories from John Mauceri about the elderly Rozsa. Preserving Our Legacy: Gerry Byrne on Film Preservation and Restoration (7:38) is less easy to pin down, as the charming Gerald Byrne isn't sufficiently identified. Besides describing his job of going through thousands of cans of film, we aren't even sure when he was doing this work -- for the 1993 restoration? Now? The DVD lists separate credits, which I believe are for these featurettes: Produced by Shannon McIntosh, Issa Mizrahi, David Rodriguez; Edited by Adam Bernardi.

The disc 2 features end with 1961 and 1993 trailers for El Cid. The only audio track is English Dolby 5.1 and the menus give a choice of subtitles in Spanish and English for the hearing-impaired.

The only paper extra for the 2-Disc Deluxe Edition is a heartfelt text intro by Martin Scorsese. The Limited Collector's Edition adds a handsomely published reproduction of the original souvenir program, a repro of the original Dell comic book (15 cents!) and a packet of six color stills printed on card stock.

Last edited by baracine; 01-15-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 06:43 PM
Banned

There was a previous thread about this release, although it was a real hard search to find it:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....harlton+heston
Old 01-15-08, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dx23
There was a previous thread about this release, although it was a real hard search to find it:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....harlton+heston
I tried to locate it before starting this thread, but failed.

Last edited by baracine; 01-17-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a nice set, and the movie looks epic - I've never seen it, so I'm not sure. Make the call for me, folks, is this a good blind buy?
Old 01-16-08, 05:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Looks like a nice set, and the movie looks epic - I've never seen it, so I'm not sure. Make the call for me, folks, is this a good blind buy?
Along with Fall of the Roman Empire (music by Dimitri Tiomkin), El Cid (music by Miklos Rozsa) is one of very few grand widescreen epics where all the elements combine into a total experience (similar to an opera) and eventually into a transcendental experience for the viewer. El Cid is the story of a knight so pure, brave, honest and sincere, he is literally a living, secular saint. You watch it with awe.

On a narrative level, while being as powerful and lively as the best John Ford westerns, it is very respectful of the original Spanish histories (some call them "legends") and the way they have been interpreted over the centuries by anyone from Corneille in his XVIIth Century tragedy Le Cid to Massenet's grand opera of the same name (XIXth Century).

Last edited by baracine; 01-16-08 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
a copy of the this edition will be a prize at the AFI Silver Theatre HiDef DLP screening on Jan. 28th

EL CID (AFI Silver Theatre: January 28th HiDef Screening)

I sooooooo can't wait!!!!
Old 01-16-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Already ordered the limited edition with the cool paper extras. It's a pity they're not doing a same-date BluRay since this Technirama film would be a great pick.
Old 01-16-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Already ordered the limited edition with the cool paper extras. It's a pity they're not doing a same-date BluRay since this Technirama film would be a great pick.
So no mention of a Blu-ray release? That is what I'm waiting for.
Old 01-16-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
a copy of the this edition will be a prize at the AFI Silver Theatre HiDef DLP screening on Jan. 28th

EL CID (AFI Silver Theatre: January 28th HiDef Screening)

I sooooooo can't wait!!!!
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-16-08, 02:20 PM

I'd recommend El Cid as a blind buy. Granted, I haven't seen it since my high school Spanish teacher showed it to us, but I recall that we all enjoyed it. It is beautiful, but also full of action and interesting drama.

My class did crack up at the end, a point which I can't reveal as it is a big spoiler. But I think mature minds would appreciate the ending more.
Old 01-16-08, 03:20 PM
Suspended

This is the film's pivotal scene. It tells a lot about the style of the film itself: sobriety mixed with grandeur.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSS37bL8zgE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSS37bL8zgE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Now imagine this on a thirty-foot high curved screen in a hall equipped with 18 speakers.

Last edited by baracine; 01-16-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I'll probably end up getting this (the regular version though - I don't need all those doodads), but what I really cannot wait for is Mann's Fall of the Roman Empire.
Old 01-17-08, 07:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
I'll probably end up getting this (the regular version though - I don't need all those doodads), but what I really cannot wait for is Mann's Fall of the Roman Empire.
One of the doodads is a hardcover souvenir program like the one they originally put in the Deluxe soundtrack album and sold in theatres. I have grown very attached to that book (lost after a few moves). It also appears to be the only thing in the package to preserve the original artwork.

I also look forward to Fall of the Roman Empire, the film that "inspired" Gladiator that I thought would never come to DVD.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-pXYCV8xkc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-pXYCV8xkc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 01-17-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks sweet! i will definitely be purchasing the giftset edition.
Old 01-17-08, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Ye, Gods!

I just saw this on the AFI Silver Theater site ( http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowpla...nts.aspx#elcid ):

Film legends Sophia Loren and Charlton Heston ignite the screen in this medieval tale of passion and chivalry. Heston plays the heroic Spanish knight, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, or, to his followers, "El Cid" - Moorish for "one who is both compassionate and a great warrior." Without compromising his strict sense of honor, he succeeds in driving the Moors from Spain and becomes a legend. Loren plays the mysterious Chimene, a Moorish princess torn between her desire for revenge against Heston -whom she blames for her father's death- and her developing love for him. Directed by the great Anthony Mann.
It is very, very sad when people responsible for a cultural institution can get things so wrong and pull such a boner. For the record, Chimene is not Moorish, nor a princess. She is the daughter of the King of Castile's champion, Count Gormaz.

Last edited by baracine; 01-18-08 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Ms. M
I'd recommend El Cid as a blind buy. Granted, I haven't seen it since my high school Spanish teacher showed it to us, but I recall that we all enjoyed it. It is beautiful, but also full of action and interesting drama.

My class did crack up at the end, a point which I can't reveal as it is a big spoiler. But I think mature minds would appreciate the ending more.
THe last time I saw the film was also in my high school Spanish class. We watched the movie over several days. I remember getting really invested in the story and not being able to wait for the next days installment.

I do seem to remember something funny happening at the end, and the teacher getting upset at us for laughing
Old 01-17-08, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
THe last time I saw the film was also in my high school Spanish class. We watched the movie over several days. I remember getting really invested in the story and not being able to wait for the next days installment.

I do seem to remember something funny happening at the end, and the teacher getting upset at us for laughing
but any school screening tends to be rather memorable - I remember we took a Jr. High class trip to see a planned screening of the 1977 film Ifigeneia - alot of kids snickered at the nudity
Old 01-17-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iam 24 and i love movies like Alexander or Kingdom Of Heaven..well i like this movie?
Old 01-17-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Do you like gladiator movies...
Old 01-17-08, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Do you like gladiator movies...

why yes, yes I do
Old 01-17-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I saw this in high school as well and remember enjoying every minute of it. Definite purchase for me. I recommend a blind buy for anyone who likes epic movies.
Old 01-17-08, 07:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by animatedude
iam 24 and i love movies like Alexander or Kingdom Of Heaven..well i like this movie?
It's a bit like saying: I really like raspberry Kool-Aid. Will I appreciate 40-year old port wine?
Old 01-17-08, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
It's a bit like saying: I really like raspberry Kool-Aid. Will I appreciate 40-year old port wine?
oh what a snotty retort ...
Old 01-18-08, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ms. M

In the theatre I saw it in during its original realease, some Nelson types guffawed at the end but for the most part, the spectators were awed by the quasi-religious splendor of it all, some of them tearing up or sobbing audibly.

Originally Posted by jjcool
If I had been your teacher, I would have gone after the offending doofuses with a rolling pin!

Last edited by baracine; 01-18-08 at 07:10 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.