Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2nd Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24-2/24)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 2nd Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24-2/24)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 11:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
I can't seem to find the post now, but didn't someone suggest that the challenge run through the end of February, since one of the channels (I forget which one) shows Oscar winners/nominees the entire month? I think it's a good idea, personally, I know I could use the extra five days.

Rob
that was me, I deleted it, since I think the reason for the dates of this challenge should end with the telecast of the Oscars (if they do happen) even though TCM does air the month long Academy Award winner/nominees showcase.
Old 01-23-08, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, are we waiting until tomorrow to set up the list thread for this? Not that I care. I was just looking for it today and couldn't find it.
Old 01-23-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
that was me, I deleted it, since I think the reason for the dates of this challenge should end with the telecast of the Oscars (if they do happen) even though TCM does air the month long Academy Award winner/nominees showcase.
I agree. The whole point of this challenge is to build up to the "big day" and have your last viewing for this challenge be the Academy Award presentation itself.
Old 01-23-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Lists thread has been posted you can find it on the first post on this thread.
Old 01-23-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numes
I agree. The whole point of this challenge is to build up to the "big day" and have your last viewing for this challenge be the Academy Award presentation itself.
That's what I figured, but I also figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I know the challenge starts at midnight, but is that midnight in whatever time zone we're in, like it was last year? Just want to make sure!

Last year I watched all of my films chronologically, but this time I wanted to try something different, and I'm way too anal-retentive to just watch them randomly so I've broken them up by award category. Tomorrow I'll be watching Best Costume Design nominees, then the next day Best Costume Design winners, etc. All leading up to Best Picture winners on the last day.

It took some juggling to make it come out where I'll be watching three or four per day... and a couple of times I'll be watching five or six. But there were days last year when I watched five or six in a day, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have too many categories though, which is why I was pushing for the extra days... I'll have to combine a few where I can.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 01-23-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 01:44 AM

I've actually been waiting for someone to ask about time zones. I run 2 of these challenge threads a year and been waiting for someone to ask about that forever. The way I see it is it's midnight wherever YOU are. I'm in central time so I can't see how that would be fair to someone who would still be at 11PM or at 1AM, so yeah!
Old 01-24-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
If the awards ceremony gets pushed back, is the contest going to run longer as well?
Old 01-27-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
If the awards ceremony gets pushed back, is the contest going to run longer as well?
I'd say no, simply because we can't just keep pushing it back over and over again.

P.S. I forgot all about Mulan being nominated. Watched it last night and forgot to add it to my list. It has been added!
Old 01-27-08, 10:51 PM

Would specials, such as Road to the Academy Awards, count?
Old 01-28-08, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mijorico
Would specials, such as Road to the Academy Awards, count?
Yeah I guess that would be okay. But, lets try to stick to films with this one. Any special about the Academy Awards can count.
Old 01-28-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Still trying to squeeze in a few hours to start watching stuff. I thought this contest would be easier than the Halloween and Christmas ones, but I can't seem to find a free moment to watch anything longer than 30 minutes lately.
Old 01-28-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Still trying to squeeze in a few hours to start watching stuff. I thought this contest would be easier than the Halloween and Christmas ones, but I can't seem to find a free moment to watch anything longer than 30 minutes lately.
Same here. I'm barely home (and awake) more than 4 hours on weekdays. I was kind of hoping to watch The Godfather Trilogy again, but one movie pretty much takes up a whole evening.
Old 01-28-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Spend some time with Robert Osbourne:

TCM's "31 Days of Oscar" schedule is up and starts this Friday ...alongside a downloadable PDF. Looks to be a pretty good lineup this year.
Old 01-28-08, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Spend some time with Robert Osbourne:

TCM's "31 Days of Oscar" schedule is up and starts this Friday ...alongside a downloadable PDF. Looks to be a pretty good lineup this year.
No Rocky????

I'll post this on the main page. THANKS!
Old 01-29-08, 09:15 PM
Banned

This is s fun idea (it'll help to motivate me watch some films I have had for a while but have not yet seen). Glad I Decided to try it this year.
I do hate that shorts count though. I will never win due to that rule but oh well it should be fun anyway.
Old 01-29-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
This is s fun idea (it'll help to motivate me watch some films I have had for a while but have not yet seen). Glad I Decided to try it this year.
I do hate that shorts count though. I will never win due to that rule but oh well it should be fun anyway.
Win? It's not a contest. The point is to immerse yourself in film that garnered a nominee or win for the (arguably) most prestigious award that can be obtained.
Old 01-29-08, 10:40 PM
Banned

Win? It's not a contest. The point is to immerse yourself in film that garnered a nominee or win for the (arguably) most prestigious award that can be obtained.
True. I guess really ones own personal "Challenge" but still. Would this apply to say Music Videos of Oscar Nominated songs? Say, Elliott Smiths "Miss Misery" music Video or Aimee Mann's "Save Me" music Video?
Old 01-29-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those shouldn't count, it's not like the music videos were nominated. JMHO

Rob
Old 01-29-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not going to participate this year. I burned out way to fast. I am also taking part in another movie challenge (1000 in a year) and I can't see myself doing both.
Old 01-30-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
I am not going to participate this year. I burned out way to fast. I am also taking part in another movie challenge (1000 in a year) and I can't see myself doing both.

Oh....my....god.... I can't even fathom that. On average, I have been watching about 100 "titles" a year (this would include season sets of TV shows too).

Why does your 1000 movie challenge and this movie challenge have to be mutually exclusive? It seems that they could easily overlap unless there is some alternate criteria for your 1000 movie challenge that wouldn't fit with this one.
Old 01-30-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could easily see watching 1000 movies in a year... if I owned that many (I don't do Netflix, and I don't like watching them on TV) and if I didn't spend so much time watching TV shows on DVD instead.

Rob
Old 01-31-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I watched "Peter Pan" tonight with my daughter. I figured, "it had to be nominated for something"... nope.

Still at ZERO
Old 01-31-08, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
True. I guess really ones own personal "Challenge" but still. Would this apply to say Music Videos of Oscar Nominated songs? Say, Elliott Smiths "Miss Misery" music Video or Aimee Mann's "Save Me" music Video?
No those wouldn't count. It's the films that were nominated we are watching.

Also, on another note I'm doing horribly this year. I've only watched 9 films so far, and haven't watched anything in the last 2 days.
Old 02-01-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh....my....god.... I can't even fathom that. On average, I have been watching about 100 "titles" a year (this would include season sets of TV shows too).

Why does your 1000 movie challenge and this movie challenge have to be mutually exclusive? It seems that they could easily overlap unless there is some alternate criteria for your 1000 movie challenge that wouldn't fit with this one.
This is the challenge

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...howtopic=43879

I know I will never make 1000, but I would at least like to make it to 500. I know the contests could overlap, but I prefer to watch whatever I feel like watching at the current time. I found myself not enjoying the contest last year.
Old 02-01-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
I could easily see watching 1000 movies in a year... if I owned that many (I don't do Netflix, and I don't like watching them on TV) and if I didn't spend so much time watching TV shows on DVD instead.

Rob
Another good place to find movies is at the library. I found Paris Je T'aime yesterday at my library. I had to pay $1 to watch it, but I have it for 7 days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.