Day of the Dead (Remake) ---> 4/08/2008

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Day of the Dead (Remake) ---> 4/08/2008

Old 01-03-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Nick Cannons Is Hilarious!
Man, fuck you son! I'm glad you think Nick Cannon's so goddamn hilarious because he just walked off with your school clothes money. It's funny isn't it?

Old 01-03-08, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Don't forget about Zombie Strippers due out on 3/11/08!

http://www.myspace.com/zombie_strippers

LOL, how is this different than Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!? http://www.zombieszombieszombies.com/
Old 01-03-08, 08:31 PM

In case anyone here was curious, I came across the special features that will be included with this DVD.

Commentary provided by Jeffrey Reddick, Steve Miner and Cast Members
An 'Internet Only' Trailer
Alternate Ending
5.1 Dolby Digital Surround, Previews, Subtitles: English SDH and Spanish (special features subject to change)
Old 01-04-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
It's absurd to assign social commentary to Dawn of the Dead. What, we all shop like zombies? Profound. And anyway, I didn't see any of that in the film, I just saw zombies walking around the mall in Pittsburgh. The only thing I learned is that I shouldn't climb on crates near a helicopter's blades.

There's a lot of pretentiousness surrounding this movie as well. Nobody "thought" about anything while watching this movie, ever.
I couldn't agree more
Old 01-04-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Man, fuck you son! I'm glad you think Nick Cannon's so goddamn hilarious because he just walked off with your school clothes money. It's funny isn't it?

I'm broke -----, I'm broke!
Old 01-04-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
It's absurd to assign social commentary to Dawn of the Dead. What, we all shop like zombies? Profound. And anyway, I didn't see any of that in the film, I just saw zombies walking around the mall in Pittsburgh. The only thing I learned is that I shouldn't climb on crates near a helicopter's blades.

There's a lot of pretentiousness surrounding this movie as well. Nobody "thought" about anything while watching this movie, ever.
My favorite thing about a good movie is that it can often be appreciated by people with their brains off and by people with their brains on. You can appreciate it as a fun, mindless zombie flick OR you can appreciate it as having deeper meaning. There's no need to resent people who enjoy it for different reasons than you do (and those other people shouldn't resent you for enjoying it for the reasons that you did).
Old 01-04-08, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
There goes every single shred of credibility you might ever have had in this existence.
Zombiezilla, I buy and watch ALL zombie movies with an open mind. Even Zombie Strippers.
Old 01-04-08, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
There was not a single character in the Dawn remake, they were all cannon fodder and lame one dimensional stereotypes. Oh man the former gang memember loves his baby! he's a real person.
FINALLY! Some sense around here!

Most absurd was halfway through the film, dumping a huge pile of new characters into it, each more cliched and undeveloped than the last, led by old Max Headroom himself. The evil biker gang in the original film were more likeable with a 10th less screen time than those ciphers!
Old 01-04-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate pretension just as much as the next guy, but there is a lot of social commentary, without beating you over the head with it, in the Romero movies and it's not just "We're consumerist zombies". It's more the social fear that the government can't fix things, people can't work together and if anything throws society off at all, even a little, it all hits the fan and we lose it ourselves. During all the footage of Katrina all I could think of was "romero movie" , because his zombie movies have that angle, they resonate with real life things. They aren't video games.

Now don't get me wrong, I like fun, mindless (no pun intended) zombie movies too, Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorites, but that movie has some interesting characters, a fun sense of humor (not an ironic, post scream, Best Week Ever sense of humor), but at the same time even that movie has some social commentary in it, the US government blows up a US City at the end, that's pretty heavy.

In the original Dawn when Peter has to kill Roger it has an impact, because you've learned to like the characters, you know them, etc, so it means something when he has to kill him. I couldn't even tell you the names of any of the characters in the Dawn remake.

Just like in Day when Dr. Logan gets gunned down, it's a shock, for a character reason, not just a "DID YOU SEE THAT! THAT FAT DEAD ZOMBIE WOMAN RIPPED OFF AN ARM! WHOAH!" , and that's a much deeper, more profound scare.

Rollar Coaster movies can be fun, but if you already know where all the jumps and scares are why watch it again? It loses something. Which is why Romero's movies hold up and a movie who's using lounge versions of "The Sickness" for impact just don't.
Old 01-04-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

shouldn't this be moved to "Movie Talk"?
Old 01-04-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
shouldn't this be moved to "Movie Talk"?
Not really. The movie isn't hitting theaters, plus I don't think anyone has seen it yet so all of this conversation is pure speculation on just how much the film will suck. (answer: a LOT)
Old 01-04-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I hate pretension just as much as the next guy, but there is a lot of social commentary, without beating you over the head with it, in the Romero movies and it's not just "We're consumerist zombies". It's more the social fear that the government can't fix things, people can't work together and if anything throws society off at all, even a little, it all hits the fan and we lose it ourselves. During all the footage of Katrina all I could think of was "romero movie" , because his zombie movies have that angle, they resonate with real life things. They aren't video games.

Now don't get me wrong, I like fun, mindless (no pun intended) zombie movies too, Return of the Living Dead is one of my favorites, but that movie has some interesting characters, a fun sense of humor (not an ironic, post scream, Best Week Ever sense of humor), but at the same time even that movie has some social commentary in it, the US government blows up a US City at the end, that's pretty heavy.

In the original Dawn when Peter has to kill Roger it has an impact, because you've learned to like the characters, you know them, etc, so it means something when he has to kill him. I couldn't even tell you the names of any of the characters in the Dawn remake.

Just like in Day when Dr. Logan gets gunned down, it's a shock, for a character reason, not just a "DID YOU SEE THAT! THAT FAT DEAD ZOMBIE WOMAN RIPPED OFF AN ARM! WHOAH!" , and that's a much deeper, more profound scare.

Rollar Coaster movies can be fun, but if you already know where all the jumps and scares are why watch it again? It loses something. Which is why Romero's movies hold up and a movie who's using lounge versions of "The Sickness" for impact just don't.

well said. i agree 100%
Old 01-04-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Not really. The movie isn't hitting theaters, plus I don't think anyone has seen it yet so all of this conversation is pure speculation on just how much the film will suck. (answer: a LOT)
Looks like most of the posts are about zombie movies in general...
Old 01-04-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Looks like most of the posts are about zombie movies in general...
True. I guess it's easily to derail a thread like this when we can't actually comment on the film itself since it's not out. Besides, don't most zombie film discussions turn into debates over the merits of one over the other? And then the always popular "textbook definition of a zombie" discussions inevitably pop-up.
Old 02-22-08, 03:41 PM
Suspended

I like that this version of DAY of the Dead takes place at NIGHT.
Old 02-23-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's funny. That didn't even occur to me.
Old 02-23-08, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This news is extremely disappointing. I was disgusted when news broke of a Dawn of the Dead remake, and somehow was thoroughly pleased with the outcome. Different beast, but highly entertaining.
The prospect of continuation with a remake of Day of the Dead has been on my mind since the Dawn credits rolled on opening night. My hopes have now been torn asunder ala Capt. Rhodes. I don't expect that I will feast upon the viewing displeasure that is Day of the Dead.
That cover art sucks.
Old 02-23-08, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
mena suvari needs to kill her agent.

Word. What the hell is going on with her career?!
Old 02-23-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Direct-to-DVD horror is where Hollywood careers go to die...
Old 02-23-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
I saw this movie last week as it hit the you know what early...

It sucks. Contrary to what was posted in this thread, they do use most of the original characters names. That includes Rhodes, Sarah, Dr Logan, Bub (now called Bud) etc. The movie sucks, plain and simply. Rent if you must.