Is there a Widescreen HSM2?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is there a Widescreen HSM2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be a way to get more Blu-Ray buyers as that is the only way to get it in WS.
Old 12-13-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
My issue with that idea is that many primetime TV's shows are shot in the same way. Do [you] have the same opinion about them? Should all the shows on Fox be released on 4x3 because their shows are broadcast in 4x3 in many places and are filmed with that in mind[?]
The shows on FOX are broadcast simultaneously in 4:3 SD and 16:9 HD. In that case, both aspect ratios are the OAR, i.e. the aspect ratio the show was originally shown in. In those cases it would be be left to the creators of the show to decide which is their intended or preferred aspect ratio.

Since HSM2 was first aired only in 4:3, 4:3 is the OAR. However, one shouldn't assume that the OAR is always the correct AR. Sometimes directors may be overruled, and the OAR was not was originally intended.

However, one shouldn't assume that just because the WS image has more image that it's the correct image. Just like WS films that were shot "open matte" to 4:3, there's a number of instances where 4:3 shows are shot "open matte" at 16:9 to meet studio demands. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was shot and edited in 16:9, although show creator Joss Whedon has said that 4:3 has always been the only intended ratio for the show. FOX overruled his decision in some overseas DVD releases, incorrectly showing an aspect ratio that's wider and shows more image, but is incorrect. Some people even prefer the altered WS image, which makes them akin to "foolscreen" fans who favor what image they personally prefer, for whatever reason, over what the creators originally intended them to see.

Scrubs has also always been shot in 16:9, although it's only ever been edited and shown in SD 4:3, with one exception. Still, there's the possibility of the studio going back and remastering the series in 16:9 in HD, against the creators' wishes.

So, while it's nice that a lot of the show simulcast in both 4:3 and 16:9 get a 16:9 DVD release, it's only because the creators of the show prefer that version. If they preferred the 4:3 version, and a 16:9 DVD came out, that'd be as much of a travesty as a 4:3 version of a WS film.

I'm cool with the term [foolscreen] as long as there are people shopping at Wal-Mart thinking they are getting more of a movie because it fills more of their 19" TV screen..
Sometimes they are getting more image in the 4:3 version, due to open-matting. The proper aspect ratio isn't a matter of just getting more image, it's about getting the correct, originally intended image.
Old 12-13-07, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Sometimes they are getting more image in the 4:3 version, due to open-matting. The proper aspect ratio isn't a matter of just getting more image, it's about getting the correct, originally intended image.
You post that like somebody posted something different. Obviously I was posting about those who think the P&S copies of newer films are the way to go.

As for the rest, obviously some people have forgot defintion of "original". Between that and the pot shots, I've had enough.
Old 12-13-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
You post that like somebody posted something different.
Somebody did: you.
Personally I am concerned that Disney (and it would appear many others) think it's acceptable to release something clearly filmed in HD 16x9 in cropped 4x3 simply because that's where they broadcast it first.
Your implication is that because it was filmed in a ratio of 16:9, it was intended to be viewed that way by its creators. I provided examples to the contrary and felt the need to emphasize the difference between the "captured" aspect ratio and the intended aspect ratio.

As for the rest, obviously some people have forgot defintion of "original".
OAR has aways meant "the aspect ratio originally presented in." This is why Criterions that have an aspect ratio that's been altered by the director mention "Director's preferred aspect ratio" instead of OAR. This is also why open-matte 4:3 DVDs are considered altered and not OAR , even though it's the image of the film as it was "originally" shot.