Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking to sell my dvd collection fast.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MBoyd
He is worried about Credit Card debt and feels he must sell to pay it down.
Well yeah (I caught that), the less anyone owes the better .... but still.

Take it with and sell it for more.
Old 12-08-07, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know just how bad your cc situation is, but have you tried talking to them to see if you could get a lower rate? This might help you out, then you could have more time selling off your collection. I am sure you have a good amount of dvd's that can easily be sold in these forums to fellow collectors, and whatever scraps are left you can sell off to the places mentioned already or donate. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-08-07, 06:11 AM

I WOULD put them on eBay as a single lot. I've seen it done with some success.
Old 12-08-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would personally take the expensive and rare ones and put them on Amazon.com. You'll get a shit load more money than if you sold them to any store. The common ones can be sold to any used dvd store. That'll maximize your time and money. You might as well get as much as you can. Bulk sales = bargains = less money for you.
Old 12-08-07, 07:14 AM

Be careful with Seconspin.com. I have had problems with them. The bulk selling kind of sucks because when I sent my list of over 100 not many doubles they offered less than if you sold them to them in smaller lots.
Old 12-08-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at all the titles that are selling for $3-$4 still sealed in stores. The majority of used DVDs are worth a buck or two at best and most of the stores I've dealt with don't want to pay cash anymore, just trade. I've been to one area store, formerly Coconuts but now an FYE, that has told me to come back another day 5 times in a row over the course of several months. (They must have my picture behind the counter!) When exactly is that special day I can trade in some discs? These stores shake when I walk in with a dozen discs, I can't even imagine what they would do with a thousand.
I agree with those that suggest cherry picking the rare titles to sell online and making lots of the rest. There's no quick way to dump your stuff without practically throwing them away. And even with effort, you're still not likely to make much to throw at your card. I truly sympathize.
Old 12-08-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would definitely recommend selling at least a couple hundred of them on Half.com - you'd be surprised how many "ordinary" titles you have that will sell for $15 to $20 or more, just because they've gone out of print. Listing on Half is extremely easy, there's no listing fees (you only pay a commission if your item sells), and your listings stay up forever! So far this year, I've sold about 300 DVDs exclusively on Half.com for about $6,500 AFTER commission! In other words, more than $5,000 more than I would have gotten selling them at 'bulk prices'.
Old 12-08-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Well yeah (I caught that), the less anyone owes the better .... but still.

If he's thousands of dollars in credit card debt, selling off about 1000 DVD's will not even cover half the debt. Let's say he's $20,000 in debt and gets roughly $2-3 per title, $2000-3000 bucks isn't really helping you out. Also, what kind of job do you have? Is your salary that shitty that you can't afford to pay down your debt every month? Do you have no savings you can tap into to pay your debt down?

I think a good movie collection is priceless and I think one day your going to regret selling it all off because of your desperation.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-08-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Select the big ticket items and sell those locally at FYE....the ones that'll get you little to nothing, take them with you.

The entertainment value alone will be worth more than the $1 that a local store will give you in trade-in cash.
Old 12-11-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the replys guys. I disconnected my internet at home so i only have it here at work. I'm trying to save as much as i can and its hard to get rid of my collection but its getting out of hand. Even now that I'm trying to sell off what I have I find myself looking at the new ones out now. I'm not buying of course. I'm just so addicted but bills come first. Being in debt and having to move is an eye opener.
Lets just say I have my priorities now. I will keep a few that i like of course but most has to go. The fact is, the more I pay off the better off I am. It may not be much but at least its something. I still can't find any one or any company that will take it off my hands.
As i've said my collection is way too big to say all i have but if you look at the pics on the rate my collection forum, i have a majority of those. My collection is in mint condition, I'm one of those that actually peel the first half of the tape on top of the dvd with the name and past it back when i'm finished looking at the movie. I keep the plastic on the box sets, etc, etc.

Last edited by roger_d; 12-11-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Originally Posted by DJariya
If he's thousands of dollars in credit card debt, selling off about 1000 DVD's will not even cover half the debt. Let's say he's $20,000 in debt and gets roughly $2-3 per title, $2000-3000 bucks isn't really helping you out.
But the point remains that if one sells a collection off with a plan that average selling price will most likely go up. And he never mentioned specifically what the amount of debt is.

I've sold total garbage for $4-6 that I would have otherwise would have received half of that if I went to a local B&M used dealer or possibly even on eBay. It can happen but some of the DVDs sat out there for awhile.

Not that these films are total garbage, but the first bareboned releases of Predator and Predator 2 I sold off about six months ago and got $14 for the pair. They were used. I've also sold lots of 5-10 DVDs of films within the same genre and I've had much better results than selling mixed lots.

I'm getting offtrack a bit, but if one can be patient and apply simple strategies to sell off their collection there will be a payoff. Even though I'd be the first to admit that selling a large amount of DVDs individually and small lots is a pain in the rear ...