DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

With All the talk how do you store yours

Old 11-15-07, 01:18 AM

With All the talk how do you store yours

I have read the post regarding the person who butchers his dvds for room saving. I thought about posting my question in there but seems people are to busy getting a posse up for that guy. So I am curious how do you store yours. Mine currently is in various moving boxes, but I am in the process of looking into a new systems as the Boltz shelves do not cut if for the the amount. thanks for the replies ( pictures please ).
Old 11-15-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have any pics of my collection, but I use one of these, in oak and black. I've had it for years; unfortunately, I'm getting to a point where it's almost full.

Rob
Old 11-15-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by RobCA
I don't have any pics of my collection...
Hey now! There's an idea! We need a thread so people can post pictures of their collections!
Old 11-15-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Who wants to start it?
Old 11-15-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pictures of DVD collections? That's a good idea, because we all have such big dvd collections! Someone should start a thread with actual photos of one's dvd collections! What an original idea!
Old 11-15-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-15-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by corysontag
I have read the post regarding the person who butchers his dvds for room saving. I thought about posting my question in there but seems people are to busy getting a posse up for that guy. So I am curious how do you store yours. Mine currently is in various moving boxes, but I am in the process of looking into a new systems as the Boltz shelves do not cut if for the the amount. thanks for the replies ( pictures please ).

I am one of the butchers. I don't have much room to house my 600 + collection. I do however keep some of the nice cases and my tv on dvd is still intact.

I use discsox.com

Old 11-15-07, 09:13 AM

I had mine in cardboard boxes for too long. Wal-Mart has a few multimedia cabinets that might fit your needs.

A 276 DVD cabinet

or a scrawny 240 DVD cabinet.

(Of course, they're both scrawny compared to the 702 DVD(!) Battery Guys cabinet used by RobCa.)

If your Wal-Mart doesn't have it in stock, you can use site to store delivery with free shipping.
Old 11-15-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.can-am.ca/
Old 11-15-07, 10:12 AM

It varies... I have some in the 400DVD player, I have some in their original cases on various shelving units spread out around my house and some I do put into binders (my Jackie Chan and Hitchcock collections, the Midsomer Murders series, things like that). The binders make it easier to keep them altogether and in chronological order. For the ones I put in the binders though I have all the original cover art and inserts stored so in case I decide to put everything back into cases all I need are the cases (and some time ).
Old 11-15-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
I am one of the butchers...I use discsox.com
From what I understand, that's one of the few solutions that doesn't involve butchery, so that's what I'm considering. (I like the option of being able to sell my DVDs later.)

Last edited by kunert; 11-15-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 01:21 PM
Banned

I had a cabinet shop make me some nice cherry bookcase-style storage with sliding fronts, expensive, but they look great and mesh with the rest of the room. I am on the verge of dismantling them however, to have some new ones made for my HD stuff.
Old 11-15-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Real simple here. Shelves and thinpak cases. Collections and multidisc cases get the thinnest cases available.
Old 11-15-07, 05:54 PM
Banned

I haven't taken any pics, but I have a few binders of different sorts, and the rest are on shelves waiting for me to buy more binders. The empty cases are in boxes, but as those boxes fill up, I start prioritizing, and the lowest-priority cases usually get tossed.
Old 11-15-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have put about 1500 Dvd's or so into binders and planning to put more. I kept the covers and inserts. Actually, I still have the cases in garbage bags under the house as the trash service has said they do not take them. I still have a sizable amount on shelves/boxes. They do become a burden when you have to many.

Old 11-15-07, 06:48 PM

Built two shelves based on the following design:Swivel Shelf

Mine are MUCH taller and MUCH wider. 8 feet tall and the shelves are about 2 1/2 wide. Each one is able to hold about 1500 DVDs. Have seperate shelves hung above my TV to house box sets.
Old 11-15-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Corvin- that's a beautiful looking set-up and the sliding glass is a real nice touch. As much as I like it, I can't see it working for me or anyone with a front projector since the reflection off the glass would wash out the black levels or be a real distraction in the dark. Which is too bad 'cause it looks very slick. The 'open' shelf below is a great touch too.

For my overflow, and things I want to keep but won't be watching again soon, I pack them in large Rubbermaid tubs. I don't butcher the cases- just the opposite as I store them in 'collectors bags' since I frequently sell discs off.
I think I can get about 100 discs in each tub
Old 11-16-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks. Yeah the sliding glass is lockable and kids movies go on the open shelf underneath.
Old 11-16-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I use these:

Old 11-16-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I use these:

I'm interested in these units. I saw the online store. Are these sold at any stores where I could see them before I buy?
Old 11-16-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I'm interested in these units. I saw the online store. Are these sold at any stores where I could see them before I buy?
No, but if you do a search on can-am here and elsewhere, I don't think you'd find a single complaint about the quality of the product (though you would find a lot of gripping about price).