Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Method for Deciding what DVD to watch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
The Unwatched DVD Pile Thread has inspired me to create an "Unwatched DVD Pile" filter in my online DVD collection. This helps when I can't decide what to watch. I try to pick out a movie that is on this list and will aid in getting that huge list down a little.

It's usually not a problem of "I can't find anything to watch", but rather one of "I have so much to pick from, I'm finding it difficult to whittle my choices down".
Old 11-09-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
My method usually falls in two categories which many have mentioned here.

If I buy something new or find that I have yet to watch a certain DVD in my collection, I'll tackle those first.

Other than that it's just whatever I'm in the mood for.
Old 11-09-07, 08:38 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually go and stare at my collection for half an hour and then figure out that if I started watching a movie at that time it would not get over untill 11pm or later. Hard to stay awake that late for us. So the wife and I just watch TiVo and go to bed.

I tried making a pile of movies to watch but I never feel like watching one of them when I do get a chance to watch one. Part of the problem is that I have too many DVDs!

Later

Swarty
Old 11-09-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the "library rationalization" is a combination of rebelion against parents and envying book libraries, video stores, museums, and indiana jones:

I don't know about others, but as a teen, my parents who would comment on me wasting too much money and filling my shelves with CDs, cassette tapes, records, comics, or VHS tapes certainly led me to counter back with "look at all the books on your shelves. You don't always read those books." So a DVD library is certainly the equivalent of our elders having a book library. Growing up, I'm sure a lot of people have been irritated by our parents and their friends when you walk in their house and you see their shelves filled with books that they probably will only read once, especially classic books, and everyone had the same books. And also seeing their shelves filled with glasses and plates behind glass cases that they rarely use, but have to show it off, instead of keeping inside a hidden closet (this is nods to the current action figure collector). There is nothing wrong with books, but I just think our DVD collections are like an "up yours" to older generations who automatically bought their book shelves and fill their shelves up with classics because that's the "norm" to do. Ironically, the DVD library filling up the book shelves is the norm now, and it's quite irritating that everyone is doing it and everyone has the same movies. So we have all become what we might have rebelled against - sheep.

And then of course, there is the collecting factor. Everybody loves Indiana Jones and museums and finding treasures. So, it's been engraved into our minds so much, that we ain't gonna stop ourselves from buying to collect.

This obsession with convenience of owning is also a factor of our lives becoming science fiction. People having databases of the movies they own, they watch and will watch weeks ahead to watch? Sounds like cyborgs to me. Not wanting to get outside and go drive or walk to the video store? Sounds futuristic to me with all this convenience talk...I'm the same way though. I'm just not gonna deny that the process of this DVD collecting hobby is a bit out of hand.

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-09-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
My main technique is to look at the unwatched pile, until something there jumps out at me. I am trying really hard to get the unwatched pile down this year, but sometimes it is a losing battle. For the most part I am usually able to find something to watch, there is alot of good stuff in the unwatched pile.
Old 11-09-07, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I think the "library rationalization" is a combination of rebelion against parents and envying book libraries, video stores, museums, and indiana jones...

Well, I can only speak for myself, so it's possible that theory applies to some here, but none of that rang a bell for me. If you want to psychoanalyze it though, I'd have to say my motivation is that I'm a control freak. Back before home video, we had three channels and could only choose what to watch from those three channels. Now I can not only choose what show to watch, but also which episode since I have a whole season or in some cases the entire series. I also don't have to go to a movie theater within a set time frame to watch a particular movie.

Ironically though, I find myself wanting an Apple TV or something similar, where I could load up a bunch of shows and have them play at random. That way, I can just "tune in" and watch whatever's on. Of course since it'll all come from my DVD collection, I know it'll be something I like.