TV Show Blind Buys --Do U Do It?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV Show Blind Buys --Do U Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 12:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I blind buy tv shows all the time. Normally if they are under $20 or so I don't mind it so much, plus I can pretty much get into anything. If the show is more than that (like most HBO shows and such), then I will at least netflix the first disc or so, but I would definitely say over half my tv on dvd were blind purchases, and I have been happy with every single one of them.
Old 11-08-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've blind bought TV shows before. However, I tend to only do it when the sets are on sale fairly cheap.

For example, 24, The Shield, Buffy, and Weeds; I had blind bought for less than $15 each. I picked up Season 1 of Veronica Mars for $20 (although it technically wasn't a blind buy, since I had seen the pilot), and it ended up becoming my favorite TV show.
Old 11-08-07, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only blind buy a TV show when it's highly recommended to me or VERY cheap. The very cheap ones are fun to buy because it's no risk. If I don't like it, I sell it for cost, profit or give it away as a present. The following are the ones I ended up liking:

Cheap:
Firefly ($24)
Greg the Bunny ($3)
Farscape (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 Starburst editions: $10 each)
Naruto (box set vol. 1, uncut: $3.33)
Ghost Hunters (Season 1, and 2 a and b: $2.22 each)
The Office (Season 1: $5, Season 2: $15)

Highly Recommended:
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Rurouni Kenshin

And then I bought season 1 of the 12 Kingdoms (anime - premium set) for no other reason than I liked the box art. Biggest risk I ever took, considering it's cost ($50). But, I lucked out and it turned out to be one of my top 5 favorite cartoon series ever.
Old 11-08-07, 05:22 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Like a lot of people, I've had blind buys when the price has been right. If a show is $20 a season, then it's not oo much to drop especially as regular movies are priced that too - at least you get more for your money so to speak.

My blind buys include 'Firefly', 'Without A Trace', 'Freaks & Geeks', 'Boomtown', 'The Shield' (Season 1) to name a few and I've never been disappointed.

Others I'll rent the first disc and base it on that
Old 11-08-07, 06:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I have made at least one thousand blind buys.

I don't watch a lot of TV (except sports), so I either have to rent or blind buy.

I usually do a decent job of making blind buys based on recommendations and creators, so it is cheaper for me to just make occasional mistakes and ebay/give them away, rather than wasting money on renting.
Old 11-08-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I do. Shows that I regretted buying:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Mr. Show

Both were very... meh.
Mr. Show was a monumental bomb. Very few funny parts in that mess of a show.
Old 11-08-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
90% of my DVD purchases are blind buys, including TV shows.
Old 11-08-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I blind bought seasons 1 - 5 of the Shield and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 11-08-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Mr. Show was a monumental bomb. Very few funny parts in that mess of a show.
Wow. I would consider Mr. Show one of the funniest shows ever created. Non-stop hilarity.
Old 11-08-07, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
And I'd be in the middle, more towards the "it's hilarious" side.
Old 11-08-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Aside from my favorites, I blind buy a lot. So far the only one that was iffy was Deadwood. And I say that only because it is difficult to watch with all the cursing. People in my house don't like that, so I am forced to walk away from it a few times. But, the parts I did see I liked.

I also prefer the internet before I blind buy. I will download a show, either via iTunes or a on the torrent networks to see if I like it. If I do, then i will either watch it live or buy it when it becomes available. DVDrips are good for me too. I like to take The Simpsons and put a season on one DVD and leave me sets on the shelf. It allows me not to have to change discs and I don't have to loan out originals (a pet peeve). Does anyone else do that?
Old 11-08-07, 09:15 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Wow. I would consider Mr. Show one of the funniest shows ever created. Non-stop hilarity.
Like most "sketch" shows, some things are funny and some aren't. However, I do feel that the good out weighs the bad with Mr. Show. The only thing close to it, in my opinion, is Flight of The Conchords. That show is everything SNL wishes it could be. Or if you prefer, if Beck made a TV show it would look like that.
Old 11-08-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blind bought Firefly: The Complete Series and Heroes: Season One based on reviews and only after doing some research on the show. Luckily, both shows were/are right up my alley.
Old 11-08-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I do it all the time. I just recently bling bought season 1 of Smallville and am now totally addicted to that show.
Old 11-08-07, 09:50 AM

I only blind buy when the price is absolutely great ($20 or less) or the blind buy's something very similar to something I like. I've blind bought Scrubs (hooked on it), NewsRadio (good, but not hooked) and the Monty Python Mega Set (had some familiarity with Python but not the show, but it's good)
Old 11-08-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I blind buy sets ALL the time. I am never home at "normal" hours so I randomly buy shows I have a feeling I will like. I rarely ever regret my purchases.
I’m in the same boat as you are. Working nights, I’m usually sleeping when “everyone” else is awake and enjoying their evening. That’s why I never watch primetime TV shows when they air live; I tape them all and watch them in the morning/afternoon the next day.

I’ve blind bought a lot of TV shows on DVD and I’ve only been disappointed a couple of times. I buy so many TOD DVDs it’s not even funny; I’m up for anything.

I know it’s off topic but I’d say almost every movie I’ve bought (with the exception of older titles that I’ve seen when I was younger) have been blind buys and I’ve been very lucky because I’ve enjoyed most of them. Only a few duds; most of those duds come from the horror genre.
Old 11-08-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm less likely to blind buy TV shows than anything else, but there have been a few that I really enjoyed after doing so. Kingpin, Entourage, Freaks and Geeks, Miami Vice and 24 were examples of good buys. One bad buy that I regretted, after getting the first 2 seasons at once, was Buffy. No matter what I just can't get into that show.
Old 11-08-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If I never blind purchased any TV on DVD, I never would have gotten into The Sopranos, 24, or Freaks and Geeks, just to name a few.
Old 11-08-07, 12:59 PM

What exactly counts as a blind buy anyway? A show I've never even heard of? One that I've never seen? One that I've only seen a few episodes of?

If it's one that I've never seen, then Sledge Hammer! and some cartoons/anime.
Old 11-08-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some of my favorite television shows were blind-purchase DVDs... the notable ones include:
- Felicity
- Roswell
- Friends
- Will & Grace
Old 11-08-07, 02:19 PM

I watch alot of tv anyway so I have seen my tv shows that I buy.

Blind buys that didn't work Ned and Stacy, Undeclared
Old 11-08-07, 03:48 PM

I've bought quite a few TV shows that never made it here to Sweden, like Wild Wild West, Streets of San Francisco, The Invaders (R2), Voyagers, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Outer Limits, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Dukes of Hazzard, Quantum Leap, Three's Company, T.J Hooker, Robot Chicken, As Time Goes By, Sliders... Just to mention a few ;-)

I've also bought quite a few shows that I know and like, so it's certainly not just blind buys.
Old 11-08-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've blind bought a bunch of tv shows too, including dead like me, which i still haven't watched yet. yesterday i bought carnivale seasons 1 and 2 since they were only 20 bucks at BB. i have enjoyed all the other bilnd buys i made though, like scrubs, the unit, and entourage.
Old 11-08-07, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

I did that twice. I bought the first season set of Millenium when I found that for 15 euro over a year ago but have to admit I still haven't watched a second of that.
I also bought the first season of BSG- (including the pilot). I still have to watch the last 3 or 4 episodes of that, and although I loved the pilot which really started the show with a bang, after that it all got a lot less interesting for me, I'm not sure if i want to buy and watch more seasons of the series. Or does it get a lot more exciting after season 1 ?

My next blind buy will be a set of the US "The Office" which will come out here next month (that's season 1 + 2 in one box). I'm a huge fan of the British series, and after reading so many good things about the US series I'm just damn curious. Steve Carrell totally impressed me in "The 40-Year Old Virgin", so yes, i'm totally ready for watching that.
Old 11-08-07, 06:13 PM

I don't have the movie channels HBO, Cinimax, Showtime, ect,

The Supranos
Curb Your Enthusiasum
Entourage
Deadwood

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.